PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt

trackmanbfa
05-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Will the slide work on a 2010 Keystone Cougar without the battery installed?

SAD
05-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Will the slide work on a 2010 Keystone Cougar without the battery installed?

In short, no.

TAZ23
05-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Slide motors are 12V DC. So if you dont have a battery hooked up and you are trying to run it off of your coverter/charger on shore power, You most likely will not have enough "juice".

440justin
05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
My passport has a sticker by the slide switch saying the battery must be installed to operate the slide. Now that said over the winter when we were first looking at the passport the dealer had one in the showroom with no battery and we were able to run the slide in and out. I guess it will depend how big your converter is.

SteveC7010
05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
My passport has a sticker by the slide switch saying the battery must be installed to operate the slide. Now that said over the winter when we were first looking at the passport the dealer had one in the showroom with no battery and we were able to run the slide in and out. I guess it will depend how big your converter is.
It's possible that there may have been an extra power supply tucked out of sight for the showroom model. Those units sit there all day long with many of the lights on and other things operating intermittently. I'm fairly certain that repeated operation of the slides without the battery could cause issues with the standard convertor.

chuck&gail
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Manual on my Outback warns NEVER to use slide or tongue jack without battery connected.

Ken / Claudia
05-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I just attended a RV owner workshop from the keystone dealer and they said all appliances, slide etc. need to have batteries hooked up to work even with shore power on. I use the slide with the batteries off but, still hooked up and it works. I have not tried anything else.

trackmanbfa
05-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Great responses. I felt I would need the battery but did not want to try without it till I got some advice.
Now I will always use the battery along with shore power. Thanks all

Festus2
05-20-2013, 06:05 AM
trackmanbfa -

Just a further note ..... if you are not plugged into shore power, you can still operate the slides using only the battery. Those folks who dry camp have no other choice and it is best to ensure that your battery is fully charged and in good condition at all times. When retracting or extending the slides or when operating the landing jacks, it helps if you leave your tow vehicle running and plugged into the RV.

440justin
05-20-2013, 02:34 PM
It's possible that there may have been an extra power supply tucked out of sight for the showroom model. Those units sit there all day long with many of the lights on and other things operating intermittently. I'm fairly certain that repeated operation of the slides without the battery could cause issues with the standard convertor.

I am pretty sure they didn't, shore cord went right to the plug and the battery wires had electrical tap on them to prevent a short and the converter looked normal, but who knows. That said I am still glad that is not the one I bought incase it does do something bad to the converter. I do remember the converter fan running balls out on the one in the show room as they have every single light in the trailer turned on! I don't know how often they actually run a slide in our out with a trailer in the show room, but I am assuming the average person looking at the camper does not ask to see the slide operation of the unit.