PDA

View Full Version : Front cargo door hinge cover????

labs4life
05-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I will try to explain this as best I can, so here goes. I have a Sprinter 311bhs and when I open the cargo doors up front in the rain, the gutter dumps water on the door and it runs down the door to the piano hinge and into the compartment. All of it does not go in, but WAY more than I want. I asked a smart*** at CW what options I had, and he said don't open the doors in the rain. Extending the gutter is an option, but it would have to be 10-12" extended, which would require assembly and removal when needed.

I may not have many options, just seems like it can be fixed better, somehow. I can post a pic tomorrow but thought I might some revelations from the experience here.

SteveC7010
05-19-2013, 08:42 AM
I will try to explain this as best I can, so here goes. I have a Sprinter 311bhs and when I open the cargo doors up front in the rain, the gutter dumps water on the door and it runs down the door to the piano hinge and into the compartment. All of it does not go in, but WAY more than I want. I asked a smart*** at CW what options I had, and he said don't open the doors in the rain. Extending the gutter is an option, but it would have to be 10-12" extended, which would require assembly and removal when needed.

I may not have many options, just seems like it can be fixed better, somehow. I can post a pic tomorrow but thought I might some revelations from the experience here.
When you say extend the gutter, do you mean in length along the wall of the trailer or outward away from the trailer?

If the water is running down the side of the trailer onto the hinge and compartment door, you might think about getting a piece of RV gutter long enough to totally protect the door and mount it just above, but high enough to allow the door to open normally.

Bob Landry
05-19-2013, 08:48 AM
I think Steve is referring to gutters that run along the edge of the roof on both sides and have a 3-4" spout on the ends that direct water away from the trailer. Almost every newer model trailer I have ever seen has them and with them, I don't see how any water would be running down the side of the trailer.

labs4life
05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
When you say extend the gutter, do you mean in length along the wall of the trailer or outward away from the trailer?

If the water is running down the side of the trailer onto the hinge and compartment door, you might think about getting a piece of RV gutter long enough to totally protect the door and mount it just above, but high enough to allow the door to open normally.

I was talking about lengthening the gutter away from the camper to get the water completely off the door when opened. Usually the factory gutter extension keeps the water from running down the trailer, but when I latch the door open it basically extends just far enough from the camper to "catch" all the water from the trailer gutters. The RV gutter might not work in this instance as the water is not just running down the side.

SteveC7010
05-19-2013, 09:02 AM
I was talking about lengthening the gutter away from the camper to get the water completely off the door when opened. Usually the factory gutter extension keeps the water from running down the trailer, but when I latch the door open it basically extends just far enough from the camper to "catch" all the water from the trailer gutters. The RV gutter might not work in this instance as the water is not just running down the side.
Catch-22 time!

I do know of a gent who actually rigged downspouts on each corner of his trailer. He used regular vinyl gutter/down spout stock. I wasn't impressed with the appearance of that, but it sure worked well. But that gives me a thought that might be more practical and elegant. How about getting some white thin wall flex tubing about 1" to 1.5" in diameter and then rigging up a way to connect it to the existing gutter spout? It should not be too difficult to route it down to the bottom edge of the trailer and on to the ground.

labs4life
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
I may resort to some flex tubing that is installed and removed as needed. I am way to goofy to route tubing down the side....I mean how could I ever make it blend with changes in decals as it passes over each one. ;)

Several years of custom tile installation in high end homes has definitely affected me!!!! Plus the DW would say NO, so that is out.

planesnut
05-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Put a plastic clothes pin on the end of the drain spout. this will divert the water out a couple inches which may help solve your problem. Just take them off when going down the highway.

SAD
05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Look above your entry door.. Do you have some sort of "eyebrow" water deflector directly above it? Can you find something similar for the baggage door?

labs4life
05-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Look above your entry door.. Do you have some sort of "eyebrow" water deflector directly above it? Can you find something similar for the baggage door?

I do have that over the entry door. The real problem is when the baggage door is open and the gutter water hit the opened door, running down the door to the hinge and into the storage area by way of the hinge. Because of the existing gutters, there is not a ton of water running down the side of the camper, just whatever lands on the camper is all.

chuck&gail
05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Ok, stupid questions. It is a side load? If so, where is your awning? On our 230RS the only time we even use the awning is loading or unloading in the rain, because the awning keeps the ramp dry. Nice feature.

SAD
05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
I do have that over the entry door. The real problem is when the baggage door is open and the gutter water hit the opened door, running down the door to the hinge and into the storage area by way of the hinge. Because of the existing gutters, there is not a ton of water running down the side of the camper, just whatever lands on the camper is all.

IC...

Water would run underneath the 'guard' and right to the hinge....

I have a simple solution for this... Don't leave the door open! :p

My wife will NOT allow the basement doors to be left open longer than necessary to do whatever it is you need to do. "A bug is going to get in!"

GaryWT
05-20-2013, 04:47 AM
I think you camp in the rain too much, LOL

I was going to suggest the clothes pin idea but someone got there first. The door is only an inch or 2 from the wall so another 2-3 inches off the gutter should do the trick.

labs4life
05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I think you camp in the rain too much, LOL

I was going to suggest the clothes pin idea but someone got there first. The door is only an inch or 2 from the wall so another 2-3 inches off the gutter should do the trick.

I agree 100%!!!! It seems like every time we have been out so far, it has rained at some point or another over the weekend. But, I can camp in the rain, unlike our northern brethren and white sn**!!!! :eek:

I think I will give the clothes pins a go and see how far they get the water away, and then I will go from there if it does not work. My other alternative is to use a piece of flex tubing, heat it and "form" it to the gutters. It will be taken on and off like the clothes pins, but I can make the tubing as long as needed.

Like "ghetto" gutter/curb feelers!!:p If I get to that, I will surely post a pic...

Bugle Boy
05-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Can that door be removed and a bead of sealer placed where the hinge is attached?

labs4life
05-21-2013, 03:32 AM
Can that door be removed and a bead of sealer placed where the hinge is attached?

It could be, however it only leaks when the door is open as the gutter drains directly to the "V" that is created by the open door. The water runs down the door and through the hinge, which usually leads into the storage compartment.