PDA

View Full Version : Outside TV connection

Mij
05-19-2013, 06:47 AM
I am wondering if anyone has attemped to run their own coax cable for an outside tv. I havnt dug into it much but its something I would like to do. Any thoughts or hints or comments?

kc9ojn
05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
This project can very in difficulty from rig to rig. Being a “cable guy” I have done the outside cabinet in several campers.
1. The Amp has a “splitter/ combiner” it takes the “house cable” and the roof antenna and splits it out to all the outlets.
2. Don’t drill down if there is another way. As soon as you put a hole in floor you run risk of water damage.
3. If you can find another line under the camper or in a cabinet splice in there, just make sure you know its coming from the Amp.

diugo
05-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Your antenna amp (the thing with the button and the light) may already have an extra terminal for an extra set. If not, you'll need a splitter. Then it's just a simple task of running RG6 coax to an outside jack---or more commonly, one located inside an outside compartment, near a 110V outlet.

I highly recommend the super easy twist-on RG6 connectors as opposed to any kind of crimper for this kind of one-time use.

Terry W.
05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Our Avalanche came with a 110v plug and coax connection in the basement. I ran it over to the wall and modfied a 110 double plug with a plug on one side and coax on the other side and mounted it to the side wall along with a tv mount.This way I don't have to leave the basement door open to use tv outside. Works good to control grandkids when you hook up the Wii game box.

Jim Dow
05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I rewired the Cable/Antenna coax cables for satellite use. See the prior post by TV4RV.com entitled "Rewiring your Coach for Satellite Use".

My (2011 Montana High Country) antenna amp/splitter were located in the bedroom. From there, I found a coax cable running to the living room TV and to the main storage area. Rewiring the amp/splitter connection gave me satellite TV in all locations. Be sure that you can trace the cables before you start; and update the splitter to a satellite-capable splitter to handle the higher frequencies.

I am using the Dish Tailgater satellite antenna/receiver.