PDA

View Full Version : Backseat the valves on your gas bottles

Bugle Boy
05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I learned this the hard way by having a bottle leak from full to empty in about 3 days. I posted it on the Sunline Forum a while back. Many did not know this.

When placing your gas bottles on line. Open the valves fully and give them a light nudge when fully open. There is a backseat on those valves that seals the stem when the valve is open.

Don't just open them part way. Don't crank them hard onto the backseat either, just snug them in the full open position.

f6bits
05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm feeling extra dense tonight…

If I open the valve all the way, what's the nudge? Back it off just a bit?

And how did your bottle leak? It wasn't connected so it leaked out to open air?

Bugle Boy
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm feeling extra dense tonight…

If I open the valve all the way, what's the nudge? Back it off just a bit?

And how did your bottle leak? It wasn't connected so it leaked out to open air?

Just tighten it a bit on the back seat. Yes, my bottles were connected. The gas leaked past the stem and out the stem opening under the handwheel. The backseat seals that stem opening.

Bugle Boy
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
See Page 26.

http://trinityealtd.com/images/cylinder&service%20valves.pdf

diugo
05-17-2013, 04:46 AM
He means open the valve fully, then turn it a little more in the same direction---"tightening it open" in the same sense a valve is often tightened closed.

Bugle Boy
05-17-2013, 05:19 AM
He means open the valve fully, then turn it a little more in the same direction---"tightening it open" in the same sense a valve is often tightened closed.

Yeah, and I was trying to chose my words carefully. Both the backseat and closed seat of the valve can be damaged if torqued too tightly.

diugo
05-17-2013, 06:37 AM
The funny thing is, almost everyone makes sure to tighten these valves closed on empty tanks---when there's no real reason to do so---but almost no one tightens them open, which is much more important.

Before I learned this several years back, I often smelled a small amount of propane in the storage compartment, which I simply attributed to normal vent operation. With the valve tightened open, no more odor.

Thanks for your post!

audio1der
05-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Great tip; thank you!!

f6bits
05-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Ah, tighten them open. I've not been doing that. Now I will.