PDA

View Full Version : Hitch question

angus242
07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello,

I have an '06 F350 DRW tow vehicle with the factory Reese hitch installed with a 2.5" receiver.

I just purchased a Hornet 32BHBS and am wondering if what the dealer recommended was good.

They are suggesting a Draw-Tite weight distribution (1200 lb) hitch with a Draw-Tite dual cam sway control. I'd much rather have too much then not enough but does anyone have an objection to what they are recommending?

SLIMSHADIE
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a similar setup. It definitley should be enuff, but not knowing tongue weights loaded and empty.

I have a Reese 1200 with Dual Cam Sway control and love it. Its the same as draw-tites.

SLIMSHADIE
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
A front outside kitchen, thats kind of neat. Similar floor plan as mine too. Kind of a backwards cross to a 291TG and 302TG.

Anyways without actually weighing, it it is enuff and then again might not.
These are just figures on the website.
Empty 8030#
Carrying 1680#
Possible Total 9710#

Tongue weight should be 10-15%
971-1456#

It says hitch 910#, but probably not loaded with propane,water,food,clothes,beer & more stuff.

I dont think they make a Dual Cam over 1200 either.

Your probably OK, but I would weigh it, just to know.

angus242
07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a similar setup. It definitley should be enuff, but not knowing tongue weights loaded and empty.

I have a Reese 1200 with Dual Cam Sway control and love it. Its the same as draw-tites.

Thanks!

I believe the empty tongue weight is about 900 lbs.

EDIT: Oppssss I didn't see your reply. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow before ordering the 1200 lbs.

campingcpl
07-14-2010, 05:33 AM
There is a whole thread in this forum on what types of hitches everyone uses that might be helpful to you. You might want to check out the thread in the towing and tow vehical section labeled "What hitch do you use?". You might find that helpful. I personally use the Equal-i-zer Hitch and love it for it's ease of hooking up and it's sway control.

BWD
07-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Im using the 12K equal-i-zer with our setup. Over the 4th we towed into WY, and rain and the winds were insane. I am glad I have the equal-i-zer especially since a section of west bound I-80 was closed, and we were in the monsoon on the east side going 60 with Semi's coming head on. The equal-i-zer worked flawlessly. Just a tiny bit of sway - and overall I was VERY impressed with the setup.

As a side note - I've driven in all types of weather - my wife commented during this stretch as to how nasty it was out. I told her it was comparable to some of the worse blizzards I had driven in, but glad we opted for the extra $$ on the hitch.

Good luck!

- Ben

angus242
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, I did look through that thread. Thanks

My issue is/was that I have a 2 1/2" hitch and didn't want to get a reducer if I didn't have to. Reese/Draw-Tite do make the setup I described for my application.

After talking with the service manager today, I did go ahead and order the weight dist hitch with the dual cam sway control. Better to have the extra control & never need it than to need it....and, well.......:eek:

SLIMSHADIE
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
You won't be disappionted. I went thru a storm a couple months ago, and had to slow to 35 in a 65 because of visibility with alot of wind. We thought we were in a middle of a tornado. Cars were pulled over to the side of the road, we even passed a couple stretches with 6-8 cars pulled over. Trailer didnt sway one bit. We probably should of pulled over though and waited it out.

angus242
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Let's hope that doesn't happen to us anytime soon. I need a few issue-free trips. Biggest trailer I've pulled was only 18'. http://www.contractortalk.com/images/smilies/shutup.gif

campingcpl
07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
You will be surprised at how much nicer a larger trailer will pull compared to the smaller and lighter trailers. You just need to watch your turns more and make sure you give yourself more room. :D