PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Outback Lite roof "buckling" issue

VSkerritt
05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
We have a 2009 30BHDS that we've owned for almost 2 years. Last year during the summer we noticed that the roof edge where it comes down to the front of the trailer was, for lack of a better term, buckling. In other words the skin appeared wavy but no other symptoms, ie leaking etc. We checked the seam above it closely, no breaches. Contacted our closest CW location and even took pictures and sent for them to look at but no one seems to know what it is although we got an estimate for about $3,000 to repair it. We checked around to a few other places to compare prices but never got anyone to actually come out and look at it. I can only assume that these folks maybe knew something we didn't because after the weather cooled down the buckling or wrinkles disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. Now that the weather is warming up again the issue seems to be coming back. Has anyone experienced this with their unit and if so can you shed any light on what the heck is going on??

Festus2
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
VSkerritt -
A few of our members have reported having bubbles, not buckling, on the rubber roof. If you were to touch the bubble, it feels as if there is indeed air underneath. The bubbling varies from 1 or 2 to several and the size varies as well.
They were told that, as long as the bubbles do not spread or start to enlarge in size, that there is no cause for concern but to watch them closely.
I can't recall if the bubbling went away during different times of the year or whether it remained all year long.
There doesn't seem to be any continuing posts about the bubbling issue so I am assuming that it never became a problem.
These posts were submitted quite some time ago and we haven't had any recent posts reporting this problem.

VSkerritt
05-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Festus2,
It's not bubbling, it's the front radius section not actually the top of the roof. It's really strange, it's wavy. I have pictures of it and will try to post them since I know I'm not doing a very good job of describing the problem.

calbroome
07-05-2013, 04:26 AM
Just read this post and apparently I have the same problem, just realized this week. I have significant buckling/warping to the front fiberglass panel just below where it meets the rubber roof and above the decal. Don't know if this is happen stance or related but I put a cover on my camper 6 weeks ago to protect the roof and this is what I found when I removed it. It was not this way before because I washed and waxed my camper 2 months ago and I worked on the nose cone extensively. No clue what is going on. Please help.

JRTJH
07-05-2013, 05:18 AM
One consideration for what is happening may be "oil-canning" of the skin. On our Holiday Rambler (an all aluminum RV) and our Airstream (also an all aluminum RV) when the sun hit the side and it got hot, the metal would stretch and buckle. Also, when the RV sat in very cold weather, it did the same, but appeared that the skin was "tighter" rather than deformed as in the buckle.

When RV's are built, they are inside a plant, on an assembly line at moderate temperatures (about 75-80F) once they are glued, screwed and stapled together, the parts don't slide against each other, rather if something moves, the overlaying skin will buckle or stretch. Heat from the sun will cause expansion and the skin buckles as a result. One of the benefits of laminated sidewalls is that the skin is supported against a back panel and there appears to be less buckling as the skin warms in the sunlight.

The front panel in the post above is a very dramatic example, but it appears that covering the RV may have heated the fiberglass to an extreme that caused "oil canning" to occur. As for the side/roof buckling, it too may well be caused by "oil-canning" especially since you say that when the RV cools down, the buckling goes away.

My concern would be whether the movement that causes the buckling is disrupting the sealants around the area. If they remain intact, there's probably not much danger of leakage, but if the sealant is stretched and tears around the buckling, then leaks may occur causing real damage.

Both of these look to be more "cosmetic" (ugly is a better term???) but as far as structural integrity, they may well be as sound as before they were noticed.

I'm sure the cost to repair would be significant, but with only one estimate, I'd be reluctant to say "fix it". Occasionally, one runs across an "eager repairman" who recommends fixing something because he makes a nice profit not because it needs repair to remain functional. "Buyer beware" :)

therink
07-05-2013, 05:23 AM
That looks like delamination of the front panel caused by heat or water intrusion. Not a good thing. Definitely a warranty item. Repair would involve replacement of the entire front panel.
I have read that some others have experienced this when using covers in high temperatures. The sun causes an oven effect beneath the cover causing expansion under the skin. This expansion causes the cardboard/luan to separate the filon panel. If the problem stemmed from water intrusion, the same thing would occur, but is usually isolated to one area. How does the caulk seam look? Any cracks or voids?
In my opinion, if this is heat related, the factory may have not applied the glue properly. I know I would be torqued if this were my rig.
Let us know how you make out.

alien_scones
07-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Are those flag pole holders? How are they attached?

Mustange65
07-05-2013, 11:10 AM
One consideration for what is happening may be "oil-canning" of the skin. On our Holiday Rambler (an all aluminum RV) and our Airstream (also an all aluminum RV) when the sun hit the side and it got hot, the metal would stretch and buckle. Also, when the RV sat in very cold weather, it did the same, but appeared that the skin was "tighter" rather than deformed as in the buckle.

When RV's are built, they are inside a plant, on an assembly line at moderate temperatures (about 75-80F) once they are glued, screwed and stapled together, the parts don't slide against each other, rather if something moves, the overlaying skin will buckle or stretch. Heat from the sun will cause expansion and the skin buckles as a result. One of the benefits of laminated sidewalls is that the skin is supported against a back panel and there appears to be less buckling as the skin warms in the sunlight.

The front panel in the post above is a very dramatic example, but it appears that covering the RV may have heated the fiberglass to an extreme that caused "oil canning" to occur. As for the side/roof buckling, it too may well be caused by "oil-canning" especially since you say that when the RV cools down, the buckling goes away.

My concern would be whether the movement that causes the buckling is disrupting the sealants around the area. If they remain intact, there's probably not much danger of leakage, but if the sealant is stretched and tears around the buckling, then leaks may occur causing real damage.

Both of these look to be more "cosmetic" (ugly is a better term???) but as far as structural integrity, they may well be as sound as before they were noticed.

I'm sure the cost to repair would be significant, but with only one estimate, I'd be reluctant to say "fix it". Occasionally, one runs across an "eager repairman" who recommends fixing something because he makes a nice profit not because it needs repair to remain functional. "Buyer beware" :)

I'm new to the world of RV use, but that picture illustrating buckling of the front panel would really be unacceptable from a structural integrity view, in my view. This does not seem to be just a cosmetic problem. A cosmetic problem shown in the picture would be the dark spots on the roof rubber due to aging or mildew. But, the nose radius buckling portends water intrusion, if not now, certainly later.

JRTJH
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm new to the world of RV use, but that picture illustrating buckling of the front panel would really be unacceptable from a structural integrity view, in my view. This does not seem to be just a cosmetic problem. A cosmetic problem shown in the picture would be the dark spots on the roof rubber due to aging or mildew. But, the nose radius buckling portends water intrusion, if not now, certainly later.

If you peel the skin back from the part of the bend that is buckling, you'll find that there is nothing behind it but a couple of pieces of aluminum sheeting used to form the bend and some cross bracing to support the sheet of Filon that forms the front of the RV. The Filon sheeting does not support or form any part of the structure. It is there only to cover the underlying aluminum framework. The structural integrity of this RV is not affected by the buckled filon panel.

You are correct, there could be some water intrusion in the future, but VSKerritt, the OP stated that there is no water intrusion, no leakage and the DICOR seams are intact. As long as the seams are sealed and remain intact, the filon, as it appears in this picture is waterproof. When filon delaminates, it takes on a different color and it is easily recognizable as "delaminated filon". When that occurs, then the "cosmetic integrity of the RV" is breeched and water intrustion can easily occur. However, the structural integrity of the RV remains intact even with delaminated filon.

In other words, the front won't fall off, nor will the sides start to buckle because of these wavy "divots" in the front filon.

calbroome
07-06-2013, 09:12 AM
VSKerrit,
I viewed your photo and it is identical to to my issue. I have my RV in my driveway now under partial shade and it appears the buckles/ripples are getting better. The above post on "oil canning" may be accurate. I live in Savannah and it gets hot. I think it is possible with the cover and a west sun, the temp was significant. I know it gets extremely hot when an item is covered. (boat cover, my windshield cracked) I am asking Keystone to provide advice. "Maybe" no harm has been done. Please keep me posted and I will do the same.

robbie
09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
We have a 2009 30BHDS that we've owned for almost 2 years. Last year during the summer we noticed that the roof edge where it comes down to the front of the trailer was, for lack of a better term, buckling. In other words the skin appeared wavy but no other symptoms, ie leaking etc. We checked the seam above it closely, no breaches. Contacted our closest CW location and even took pictures and sent for them to look at but no one seems to know what it is although we got an estimate for about $3,000 to repair it. We checked around to a few other places to compare prices but never got anyone to actually come out and look at it. I can only assume that these folks maybe knew something we didn't because after the weather cooled down the buckling or wrinkles disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. Now that the weather is warming up again the issue seems to be coming back. Has anyone experienced this with their unit and if so can you shed any light on what the heck is going on??
We have a passport and ours does the exact same thing-looks just like yours ! did you get any answers ?

JRTJH
09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
We have a passport and ours does the exact same thing-looks just like yours ! did you get any answers ?

Robbie,

VSkerritt's profile indicates: Last Activity: 07-23-2013 02:55 PM. Possibly some other members with similar issues may be able to share their experiences, but I wouldn't wait for a response from the OP.