PDA

View Full Version : Closet door latches

dogger
05-16-2013, 08:39 AM
We just signed a deal on a new Fuzion 342, and on the way home I was telling my wife how I don't feel very confident on the pantry door staying closed while travelling. I am mainly concernd about this door since it has a galss insert, and if it comes open and not noticed while the slide goes out, it will get damaged along with the slide trim. She came up with the ingenious idea of using the type of closet door latches on it. These are the style where a metal pin swivels and drops into a catch. I have never seen these style closet door latches before and wondering if anyone has seen them for sale anywhere. Yes, I could bug the dealer, but don't mind ordering these online if I knew of a source.

40 Acres
05-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Ours seems to latch well and has stayed shut so far. The latch you are referring to sounds like the ones they use on the front closet doors. Take a look when you do your PDI. Might be easy to get them right from Keystone and they will match. That would fix the popping garage door too! THAT door WILL open while traveling, lol.

dogger
05-17-2013, 05:52 AM
40 Acres, That was kind of my plan to do both of those doors. Both doors have glass inserts, and the pantry door is by the slide which makes me nervous about it popping open and someone opening the slide without noticing. The front closet latches look good and would serve this purpose well. I may take a look at Lowes in the mean time to see if they have something that would look OK also.

byrdr1
05-17-2013, 05:58 AM
40 Acres, That was kind of my plan to do both of those doors. Both doors have glass inserts, and the pantry door is by the slide which makes me nervous about it popping open and someone opening the slide without noticing. The front closet latches look good and would serve this purpose well. I may take a look at Lowes in the mean time to see if they have something that would look OK also.

A pantry cabinet door by the TT slideout which makes me nervous about it popping open and someone opening the slide without noticing.
Been there done that!! :banghead:
got a shirt too and everybody stayed out of my way for several hours :bm: .
Just saying!
randy

dogger
05-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Randy, I am nervous of this only because I have experienced it previously on a trailer. It was actually my 7 year old (at the time) was operating the slide for me while I watched outside. It caught on a cabinet door. He stopped just in time from the door coming off, but ran off crying because he thought the trailer was broken. It was something I won't forget, as I was not mad at him, because he was only doing what I told him and shold have checked myself first. Lesson was to not trust any doors, cabinets or drawers from opening, and to tie them back somehow to not have to worry about it.

Retired CSIGuy
05-21-2013, 05:27 AM
OR....you could check all the doors/cabinets before you put out the slide out......7 yr old operating your silde-outs? Maybe you meant 17 year old, but that's probably even worse lol!

howdy
05-21-2013, 08:26 AM
I never thought of the pantry door popping open while traveling. Glad you brought this to my attention and I will make sure I double check it before putting out the slide. Now the garage door is one door I cannot keep closed. I have more work to do on that one to try on making that work better.

Bob Landry
05-21-2013, 08:54 AM
I have had to repair cabinet doors for a couple of reasons, but never from having one come open in transit. I did have one that was left open and the road trip jerked the hinge screws out of the cabinet face. it would be beneficial to go through and beef up anything that looks like a weak spot before something happens. Two items that come to mind are replacing the 1/2" cabinet hinge screws with longer ones and rebuilding the draw slide supports. I can guarantee that within a couple of trips, they will begin coming apart.

dogger
05-21-2013, 08:57 AM
We had our shake down run this past weekend, and sure enough the pantry door opens. And it is very inconvenient to try and close it again. And even worse would be if I was to use the LCI remote and open the slides from outside without making sure everything was OK prior to opening. I will be adding some type of travel latch to these just for this reason.