PDA

View Full Version : Home for our feathered friends

Pmedic4
05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Is it just me, or has everyone noticed that birds enjoy building their nests inside of the pinbox on fifthwheel RVs?

The side to the RV is open, and the birds get into the inside of the pinbox, and build nests. I can see all the nest material, just hoping I don't take the next away from 'mother bird' after the hatchlings are there.

If so, any suggestions to keep them out? I search online and didn't see anyone else mention this issue.

I guess I could say our RV is lived in 120 days a year - just not by humans.

Festus2
05-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Ed & Mary -

If birds are building nests in your pin box, you'll just have to get out more often.......:D

hankaye
05-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Pmedic4, Howdy;

You could mount some window screen across the opening...
I'd also look into the propane tank spaces, as well as the front
access storage where the legs are mounted ...

hankaye

Jim W
05-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I would use long strips of AL foil in the opening when in storage. This works will I have used it on lights on the porch when brids try and build nest in the spring. Just remove the foil when you travel.
Jim W

3P'sInACougar
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
You can use the plastic rain gutter covers that are made to keep leaves out of them. I just zip tie them in so if need to remove just cut the ties. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hankpage
05-17-2013, 08:52 AM
I would welcome birds ... they might keep out the wasps and hornets that seem to find my pin box homey.

durhamcutter
05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
I think we have a resident wren and every year she tries to build a nest, almost hate to move the trailer because it disrupts her life.

JimBobWay
05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
We put in a couple of old towels while it's sitting there, removed during travel.