PDA

View Full Version : Battery Disconnect Switch and Generator

mdb25
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I am going to install a battery disconnect switch for when the trailer is sitting for longer periods of time and was wondering if I should also have the generator line also connected to it? I dont image it having anytype of draw on it but you never know.

Htfiremedic
05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
My Fuzion came with a generator. The generator will run with the disconnect off.

mdb25
05-15-2013, 02:43 AM
I am not talking about the RV disconnect switch, I am adding one to the battery since the RV disconnect switch doesn't truly disconnect everything. If you just use the one in the RV, the battery will still go dead in a couple of days.

EricLynnAllison
05-15-2013, 04:45 AM
I just went to three batteries this year. I installed a disconnect switch right off two of the batteries to the camper. The third battery is connected to the other two with a switch that automatically opens if either side gets below 12 volts. The third battery goes to my generator. So far, all has been great. I keep checking my batteries while in storage and I'm still at 12.4 on all after 3 weeks.

mdb25
05-15-2013, 04:57 AM
I would be interested on how you wired that, any pictures?

flyinguy68
05-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I am not talking about the RV disconnect switch, I am adding one to the battery since the RV disconnect switch doesn't truly disconnect everything. If you just use the one in the RV, the battery will still go dead in a couple of days.

I'm just curious, because I always use the RV disconnect switch when rig is not in use. When I use it the LP detector and built in radio both shut off. What are you saying that it doesn't disconnect?

mdb25
05-17-2013, 10:24 AM
From what I understand there are multiple things that still draw from the batter including the hydraulic system which runs wirelessly. These things will kill my battery within a few days.

mdb25
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
To explain this a little more, the hydraulic system runs wirelessly, the key fob does have a battery in it however they receiver which is attached to the camper battery does not disconnect if you hit the disconnect switch meaning it is always "live" looking for a signal from the controller / key fob which causes the battery to drain even if I hit the disconnect switch within the camper. This is why I am installing a true battery disconnect switch between the battery and the 12 volt cable. What I am not sure is if the generator cables need connected to this switch also.

Jim Dow
05-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I have two 12v batteries in my Montana High Country (2011). I installed a lockable battery switch that allows me to operate/charge the batteries either indepently or together.

Also, I added a Battery Tender for charging the batteries using another power source. I plan on adding a secodnd Battery Tender this weekend to be able to charge both batteries simultaneously when off shore power.

Both batteries are fused using post fuses.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
05-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Try a marine store and get a multibank battery charger.

KenBob
05-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Our 360 has separate battery connections for house and generator. The generator connection is for the starter and should not cause a draw on the battery if connected to the house battery. A cut off switch on the house only battery cable (+ or -) should cut off all power to the RV. There would have to be failures in the converter, switch box, and the generator electronics to cause a draw from the generator battery connections if the wiring is correct.

Retired CSIGuy
05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Save your money and just discon the ground cable from your batt.

mdb25
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks KenBob, that is what I figured.