PDA

View Full Version : Radio turns on by itself

AlCorr
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes, my radio turns on all by itself. Some times, once a week, sometime once a day, then not again for two weeks, then sometimes I'll turn it off and 2 seconds later it on again. This is blowing my mind. The wife said the trailer is haunted. Sometimes I think she's right.
I've set the time on the radio and turn the alarm off and the alarm timer to zero.
Anyone have any ideas?
:banghead:Help:banghead:

Bugle Boy
05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
I would have suggested checking all the alarm settings but since you have done that with no results, your wife is probably right.

randy69
05-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Do you turn off your battery disconnect. Then back on when you are ready to go camping? If so the radio will come on by itself. Mine will do that.

Outbackmel
05-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I would not go into that rig until i brought in a priest fully trained in exorcism! Beware: the factory workers spirits often travel with newly manufactured units. I have heard they will do anything to get out of Goshen, Indiana :)

schwalbach
05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I went through this same thing, read read and read again, the alarm is turning itself on around midnight, change the alarm time and disable and see if it goes away, until I changed the alarm time it would do the same as yours

ed cobos
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
poltergeist? have the same thing happening - 2013 keystone hideout - dealer kinda laughed it off - but said they would check it out - concerned about it going on and draining the battery. is there a way to unhook the radio when we are not camping?

hankpage
05-14-2013, 06:15 PM
poltergeist? have the same thing happening - 2013 keystone hideout - dealer kinda laughed it off - but said they would check it out - concerned about it going on and draining the battery. is there a way to unhook the radio when we are not camping?

Look in your main panel for the fuse that controls it ... remove the fuse .... if it still comes on ... http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1116 .... run.

Let us know what you find, but I think schwalbach is correct as we have had others with the same problem. Hank

AlCorr
05-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Look in your main panel for the fuse that controls it ... remove the fuse .... if it still comes on ... http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1116 .... run.

Let us know what you find, but I think schwalbach is correct as we have had others with the same problem. Hank

This past March, we were camping in St. Augustine, FL, the trailer was connect to a land line (110 volt). One night while sleeping the radio came on so I got up and turned it off, a few min. later it came on again so I turned it off again, then again, then again :banghead: After the 4th time getting out of bed I pulled the 12v fuse out of the panel while yelling, "now lets see you turn it on", and if it did I would run.
The only problem with pulling the fuse is now I have to reset everything, (time, alarm, stations, etc.)

AlCorr
05-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Do you turn off your battery disconnect. Then back on when you are ready to go camping? If so the radio will come on by itself. Mine will do that.

Yes, this happened two weeks ago while getting ready to go camping. I keep the trailer plugged into a land line while stored in my yard. I unplugged it and just before I left had to put some gear in trailer and the radio was on, turned it off, and when I arrived at campground the radio was on again.

AlCorr
05-15-2013, 02:24 AM
I went through this same thing, read read and read again, the alarm is turning itself on around midnight, change the alarm time and disable and see if it goes away, until I changed the alarm time it would do the same as yours

I've never set any alarm time, only turn the alarm off and set the snooze to zero time.

Are you saying to set a time on the alarm and then turn alarm off?
I'll try that, thanks for the advise.(tx)

I'm thinking the radio runs on 12v only but when I plug in or unplugging the land line it may cause a surge to the radio and miss up the radio setting. What do you think about that?

Lost
05-15-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm thinking that the battery disconnect isn;t killing the power to the stereo. Try unpluging the shore power and then taking the leads off your battery for a couple of min's. That should set everything back to default in the entire trailer... so you will have to reset everything when you reconnect it. Hope it works.

PerryB
05-15-2013, 03:51 AM
They are cheap units. Toss it and get a new one. Yours is obviously defective.

AlCorr
05-16-2013, 01:42 AM

I changed the alarm time as you advised, it was set on 00:00. Maybe that is the problem. Thank again for the advise.

AlCorr
05-16-2013, 01:44 AM
They are cheap units. Toss it and get a new one. Yours is obviously defective.

(tx)Thank for the advise, you must have put a lot of though in that!(tx)

happytrails
05-17-2013, 05:34 AM
I changed the alarm time as you advised, it was set on 00:00. Maybe that is the problem. Thank again for the advise.

My radio did the same thing after we disconnected the battery once to install an electric tongue jack. Took me a few days to figure out it was the alarm. The worst part is that before I noticed it was an issue I had used the radio and turned on the outside speakers for a little listening pleasure. And as you might have guessed, promptly at midnight the radio came on along with the outside speakers. Whoops! I hope the neighbors didn't mind too much. I went out of my house around 5:00 am and heard the radio and was like What the heck!? I turned off the outside speakers and then the radio. Next morning I could hear the radio inside the camper going. After a few days I figured it out.

I hope that was your issue and it is now resolved.

Scotccrn
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Mine and my parents did the same thing. If your still under warranty, trade in the entertainment center for a new one. My parents and I did that and both units stopped coming on.

KJcachers
05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
well, mine just did it! Had this trailer since August with no issues but tonight right at midnight it popped on. I had the outside speakers set to play from the last use so of course I could hear it right outside my window. grabbed my keys and headed out to turn off the speakers and then the radio. I am plugged into an outlet on my garage so not a power issue. I will try the set alarm trick and see if that keeps it from coming back. If not, I am still under warranty!

AlCorr
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
It's been 4 days now that the alarm time has been changed and no radio yet, knock on Wood.(tx)

Wildfire
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Whew, we're not alone! Had this same problem on our first major outing with our new Cougar trailer. We were considering simply wiring in a remote power switch for the unit (hate wasting the extra 12V if we're dry camping), but perhaps it is something worthy of a replacement. We'll have to play around with the alarm settings and see if that makes any difference; we hadn't even set the clock yet, though, so I can't imagine someone at the dealership having set the alarm to anything other than what they did at the factory..

AlCorr
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
The poltergeist is back, (we call her " The Lady in Gray")

Yesterday I had to un-plug the land line to the trailer. To cut my grass I have to roll up the extinction cord. After cutting the lawn I plugged in the land line and checked the radio to be sure it was off. Then I checked it again about supper time and still off. I went out this morning to check and it was on, must have came on sometime during the night. The alarm is still set for 3:00 pm and as I said, supper time, around 5:30 I checked it.

I'm ready to give up and install a on off switch to the radio 12v power.

Does any other people with this same problem have the same model Jensen radio as me, Jensen AWM 970?

JeffS
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Did you name your trailer "Christine"

laidback
05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Have you tried resetting it? Turn it on and down on the left bottom corner there is a little hole push it in with a paper clip. Mine was doing that Jensen said to reset it. ( Didn't work. ) Called them back they said bad software gave me a code and Keystone sent me a new one.

AlCorr
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Have you tried resetting it? Turn it on and down on the left bottom corner there is a little hole push it in with a paper clip. Mine was doing that Jensen said to reset it. ( Didn't work. ) Called them back they said bad software gave me a code and Keystone sent me a new one.

Thanks for the advise, I'll try resetting the radio. Do you still have the phone number for Jensen?

Watt
05-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Let me add to this issue, we have a 2013 Cougar 293SAB, had trouble with the DVD loading discs, so the dealer replaced the unit under warranty. This past weekend, the DVD unit came on in the middle of the night with a noise as if it was trying to load a disc, but no disc was in the unit. I haven't been that happy with the entertainment system and would like to upgrade; any recommendations?

PerryB
05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
(tx)Thank for the advise, you must have put a lot of though in that!(tx)
Yeah Al, I did put SOME thought into it. I'm on my 4th fiver and know from experience that they put the cheapest possible components into them. If its under warranty go see the dealer for a new one and if not,go BUY a new one. Maybe you didn't like what I said, or the blunt way I said it,but I stand by my original statement. Its obviously defective and nothing on the internet is going to change that.(tx)

laidback
05-29-2013, 03:41 PM
I can't recall the number now, but it is in the manual that came with the trailer. I haven't had any problems since I put the new one in. When they gave me the code I called Keystone and they sent the new one to me. Installed it in 5 min.

djzolin
06-01-2013, 06:21 AM
Well if alarm was set to 00:00 the that would be midnight and explains why some of you had the radio come on at night. A reset should clear that but maybe earlier firmware has a default of that time. I have had no issue with mine but am still trying to figure the dam thing out. I need to dim the display at night and I did it once and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it again. And yes...I am a man who hates to read destructions! Good luck to all. I will be adding a 3rd pair of speakers to mine soon.

Scotccrn
06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm telling you, its a bad unit. It is a well known problem with this unit. Return it for a new one and problem solved. It will save you a lot of time trouble shooting.

AlCorr
06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know if the radio has a 2 year warranty?