PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cargo Door Opens While Travelling

isosceles
05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi all;

No matter what I do, the door from the living space to the garage ALWAYS opens when I travel (even a short distance).

It takes a great deal of effort to close the door (as I know they want a good seal), but what good is a nice seal if the door opens right away and slams around when driving.

This is on a 2013 Fuzion 301, and I am wondering if anyone else has this issue, and if you have had it, what have you done to fix it............ I am loath to install ugly clasps to hold the door shut, but it may get to that point.

Let me know, and thanks.

Dogman
05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
My 2013 Fuzion 301 does the same.Door is open when we stop and I know I shut it good.

mwhit
05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Same thing happens to my 2013 Fuzion 300.
The frame must flex enough to allow the latch too unlatch.
When that happens the seal pops the door open.
I have so far place a box outside the door to prevent it swinging wildly, but also need to come up with a good solution.

Happy Camping!!!! Mike

saltflatracer
05-14-2013, 07:44 AM
We have a 2012 Raptor and I found the same thing happened to me. I put a small eye hook in the outer edge of the inside door frame & then wrap a small bungee cord with hooks on each end around the door handle & into the hook. Haven't had a problem since!

Vidorcom
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
2012 keyston fuzion 300 that does the same. I put something in front of it to prevent from slamming the wall. It would be nice if it stayed closed like it was intended to.

Festus2
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Would a sliding bolt work to hold the door shut? You can get them in various sizes and the bolt and backing are screwed into the door. Drill a shallow hole in the floor just deep enough for the bolt to drop into.

KenBob
05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
This is what we used.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=308720-54546-23742TNBLG&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3079891&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Here is a link to a thread on this subject.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3062&highlight=door+bolt

isosceles
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I believe a lot of the issue has to do with the gasket around the door. It is very hard to close the door (which is good as it makes a nice seal, and keeps out fumes whilst the ATVs are in there).

I am betting that with the door pushing that hard on the latch, any movement causes the latch to back out slightly, and the pressure keeps it in place. Eventually the door will pop open ones the latch creeps out enough.

From the looks of my door, I would need two of the gate clasps to keep it closed, as I am sure it would open in the above listed manner if there was just one the the bottom.

INFACT, I just thought of a solution / something to try......... if it is indeed the latch creep opening the door, and not extreme flex of the trailer. Replacing the standard latch with an actual dead bolt that cannot creep out would do the trick. Normal door latches can move in/out all the time, whereas a dead bolt is locked solid.

We never close that door while camping anyway, and it would be very easy to try. I will try it out and post my findings.

CheerS!

abneynormal
05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
had the problem on my 3912. took a metal carbide cutter on a drill and ground the door plate hole where it had slop in the door. ie made the hole bigger. it hasn't popped open since.

40 Acres
05-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Our 342 does the same trick and the in-laws 3750FL Montana always pops their bathroom door which is in a similar location, but without the airtight seal.

Deadbolt style knob sounds like a good fix, although we keep ours closed a lot, so access on each side is preferred.

abneynormal
05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
I used a carbide cutter on a cordless drill and enlarged the striker plate hole. the door has room to flex so it wont pop open. it has never came open since I made the hole bigger

Scott L
05-22-2013, 01:38 PM
I removed the striker plate and sloted the screw holes a 1/4 of an inch. The took a wood bur and removed a 3/8 in of the hole in the wood frame. Now the door latch full engages the door frame while keeping a good seal. Hope this helps!!!!:)