PDA

View Full Version : pulling TT's batteries with charger on line?

DennisT
05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
My Springdale 266 has batteries on the tongue. I need to pull them out, clean under them and take them to NAPA or some such place to have them load tested. (They are original to the TT; 4+ year old Interstates)

The TT is presently plugged into 110V and with the battery charger running normally. Should I remove the batteries as is, or disconnect the TT from 110V first? I am not sure if the TT battery charger cares if it looses the batteries as a load or not.

Dennis

Bob Landry
05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
The converter won't care if you disconnect the battery. They are made to function without a battery connected. Why not go to Harbor Freight and for around $12, get a resistive load tester. They come in handy.

raytronx
05-11-2013, 01:06 PM
If it was me I would unplug or flip the breaker for the converter off before having disconnected wiring dangling about.

DennisT
05-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Good idea about the Harbor Freight item. Unfortunately, the nearest one to us is 80 miles. I figured if I have to clean the battery box anyway, it's not that much more to throw the now-removed bats into the Jeep and check them in town. And maybe I'll flip that breaker.....

I have no idea how long good quality batteries are good for under this use application.

Thanks,
Dennis

Bugle Boy
05-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Disconnect the 110. You risk sparks when you remove the battery cable. Sparks near the battery caps are dangerous.