PDA

View Full Version : Dinette table cracks when used as a bed.

chartrand
05-11-2013, 03:53 AM
My dad slept on the dinette table last night and it cracked at some some point. I'm sure the warranty will replace it, but how do prevent a repeat of this? I'm wondering if maybe two boards could be cut and used instead of the table? Anyone have a solution for this?

f6bits
05-11-2013, 05:05 AM
What style table? Mine has the spring-loaded collapsing legs and it lowers to the proper height. If yours is the dual-tube style, maybe a set of shortened tubes would help support the table.

chartrand
05-11-2013, 01:02 PM
It's the two tube version, I've never seen shorter tubes, I'll have to research those a bit.

mecfd67
05-11-2013, 01:14 PM
It's the two tube version, I've never seen shorter tubes, I'll have to research those a bit.

You can just purchase two spares from you parts department and cut them to fi

f6bits
05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Double-check that the table is properly aligned when lowered onto new tubes. Since my table is movable, alignment isn't an issue as I can shift it to line up when lowered onto the benches.

chartrand
05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Since we are out camping and needed a quick solution for sleeping tonight... We stopped at Home Depot today and purchased some 3/4 inch red oak boards. Added a few hinges for storage and holding together. So tonight I removed the dinette completely and instead used the new boards. Dad is sleeping on them now as I write this....

happytrails
05-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Since we are out camping and needed a quick solution for sleeping tonight... We stopped at Home Depot today and purchased some 3/4 inch red oak boards. Added a few hinges for storage and holding together. So tonight I removed the dinette completely and instead used the new boards. Dad is sleeping on them now as I write this....

My Cougar did the same thing with my 115lb son on it. I was considering the shorter tube thing, but I think you have the right idea in putting up a good hard wood on there. We are getting ready to trade ours in for a different camper, but I'm thinking of having two boards stored somewhere for just this purpose. I don't think Keystone (or whoever makes the tables) really designed them for this, they just wanted you to think they did. I hope you are right about the warranty fixing it though. Ours was not bad enough after one sleep to warrant a repair but you can see where it's starting to buldge. Best of luck!

GaryWT
05-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Hope the boards work out for you, there are so many different shaped tables and length of span between where the are touching something but they all seem to be made out of the same thing and thickness, surprised it does not happen more often. Good luck.

Terrydactile
05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
If you have the ability and tools to do it, consider replacing the table with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. It will look better and will never break. It will always remain nice and flat.

I simply traced the shape of the original table onto the plywood and cut to shape. Trimmed the edges with some 3/4" veneer that is glued to the edge using an iron to set the glue. Sand, stain and finish to match your interior. Transfer all the hardware to the new table and you are done for good. You could probably use 5/8 if the 3/4 is too thick.

CincyGus
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
A solution that I have seen that is less elegant and definitely in the range of overkill but makes the bed big boy ready is this. Friend did it for his popup dinette.

Made a Block "C" shaped frame that sat on the floor under the dinette when it was lowered to the bed position. Was positioned so that the to ends of the "C" came out towards the center of the camper, splitting the space between the two benches into thirds so to equally support the table. The height of the C was perfectly matched to the bottom of the tables height and it really firmed up the dinette bed.
Had two of us over 200lbs standing on it and it was as firm as the floor was.

He was a big boy and had Big Friends that might be staying with him so he wanted to be safe and not have to buy a new dinette table.

The three sides of the "C" were attached with hinges so it folded up and fit under one of the dinette benches very easily.

rcsd
08-09-2019, 07:28 AM
This recently occurred with mine. Is there anywhere now, in 2019, to get a replacement table top for a 2011 2590BH? I have tried trekwood with no luck. Thanks!

Carrottop
08-09-2019, 07:53 AM
There were previous threads on this issue. We simply purchased a 2" piece of PVC pipe and cut it down to size to fit with the table in the sleeping position. The nice thing about this is that the PVC pipes will store in the metal full length pipes when not in use. I have used this and have had full size adults on that table with no issues.

rcsd
08-09-2019, 08:06 AM
There were previous threads on this issue. We simply purchased a 2" piece of PVC pipe and cut it down to size to fit with the table in the sleeping position. The nice thing about this is that the PVC pipes will store in the metal full length pipes when not in use. I have used this and have had full size adults on that table with no issues.
Thank you for that information. What I am in need of for now, is an actual replacement of the original table. Any ideas of where I can get another table? Thanks!

JRTJH
08-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Actually, Home Depot has a variety of RV dinette table tops for sale: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flash-Furniture-30-in-x-42-in-Rectangular-Table-Top-with-Natural-or-Walnut-Reversible-Laminate-Top-XUWNT3042/301092919?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CHDH%7C59-34_INTERIOR+FURNITURE%7CNA%7CPLA%7CKitchen+%26+Din ing%7c71700000045453271%7c58700004663253698%7c9270 0045976805249&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4ag_p_24wIVEarsCh037Ae-EAQYASABEgKJCPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Additionally, a "google search" for the term "RV Dinette Top" will produce thousands of responses from which to choose the best size/price/shipping.

rcsd
08-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Actually, Home Depot has a variety of RV dinette table tops for sale: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flash-Furniture-30-in-x-42-in-Rectangular-Table-Top-with-Natural-or-Walnut-Reversible-Laminate-Top-XUWNT3042/301092919?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CHDH%7C59-34_INTERIOR+FURNITURE%7CNA%7CPLA%7CKitchen+%26+Din ing%7c71700000045453271%7c58700004663253698%7c9270 0045976805249&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4ag_p_24wIVEarsCh037Ae-EAQYASABEgKJCPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Additionally, a "google search" for the term "RV Dinette Top" will produce thousands of responses from which to choose the best size/price/shipping.
Thank you. I will check home depot's website. I have been researching Google all morning without luck! Measurements for the tabletop are approximately 36.5 x 26 x 3/4. I try not to post something on forums if an easy solution is or has previously been found, but maybe I am overlooking something that is easily available? Thanks!

JeLo
08-11-2019, 01:35 AM
anybody found a solution to stop the wobble on the double tube table version? I tried different size screws but the thickness of the slide floor is minimal.
JL

travelin texans
08-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Personally I'd build one out of plywood that's much more substantial than the original. If you buy another replacement you'll have the same problems again.

LHaven
08-11-2019, 10:43 AM
anybody found a solution to stop the wobble on the double tube table version? I tried different size screws but the thickness of the slide floor is minimal.
JL

Usually the wobble isn't from the base ring, but from how the tubes sit in the base ring or table ring. Gentle(!) outward peening of the tube sometimes helps.

We found that if we turned our table front to back, it butted nicely up against the sidewall, stabilizing it.