PDA

View Full Version : Dometic Awning Recall Hazard

billb800si
05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Keystone is involved with this power awning recall.

IMPORTANT: CHECK THIS OUT !!!
http://rvnewsservice.com/2013/05/08/recall-tells-thousands-of-rvers-dont-drive-your-rig/

Happy trails,
Bill B. (Michigan)

MarkS
05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
There is a recall notice on the Keystonerv.com site. It lists the serial numbers of the effected trailers.

Ouch. I think my trailer has the bad awning. Guess I will call the dealer tomorrow.

MarkS
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
We called our dealer this morning. They had the parts in stock. They had us zip tie the arms together and bring the trailer in. It's only takes a couple of hours to fix it, but with the weekend it will be Monday before it is ready.

The service tech said the awning spring pushes the awning out. The motor holds it in. If the motor breaks, the spring pops the awning out. Backwards from what I would have expected. And would be very bad if it happened on the highway.

With 27,000 trailers effected, I was expecting to have to wait months for the parts.

Thanks Bill for the heads up! (tx)

T-Slim
05-12-2013, 07:07 AM
There is a recall notice on the Keystonerv.com site. It lists the serial numbers of the effected trailers.

Ouch. I think my trailer has the bad awning. Guess I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Sounds like our new trailer could be in the group, can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the serial number?

MarkS
05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
My understanding is the trailer serial number is the last 8 digits of the VIN number. The VIN number is on a sticker on the drivers side of the trailer.

The serial number for the awning is on the roller tube. You have to fully extend the awning to see it.

richarde
05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I have a new 2013 Cougar 25rlswe. I looked at the Keystone site and found listings of affected awnings, but can't tell if my unit is one. The listings call out the Product Brand of Cougar X Lite, & Cougar Oregon. I don't have an X Lite, but not sure what Cougar Oregon is. Does anyone know?

thanx And Happy Moms Day to all the Moms.

MarkS
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I think Cougar Indiana are the Cougars built in Indiana. Yours was built on the west coast. Oregon? Cougar Oregon?

T-Slim
05-12-2013, 02:18 PM
My understanding is the trailer serial number is the last 8 digits of the VIN number. The VIN number is on a sticker on the drivers side of the trailer.

The serial number for the awning is on the roller tube. You have to fully extend the awning to see it.

Looks like my awning serial number is 30499632.

The link above states serial numbers 306XXXXX thru 314XXXXX. Sounds like I might be in the clear...

Festus2
05-12-2013, 02:20 PM
I think "Cougar Oregon" is one that is made in Pendleton, Oregon. Look on the registration plate/sticker found somewhere near the front on the outside of the unit to see where it was manufactured.

MarkS
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
We got the recall letter from Keytone, after we dropped the trailer at the dealer on Saturday.

I went to pickup the trailer today. They had not started when I got there. That was ok because I got to watch.

The tech said mine was the second they had done. The first one took 2 hours and a call to the factory. It only took them 20 minutes to do mine.

They rolled the awing out a couple of feet. They put a pin in the roller at the rear. Then used zip ties to fasten the awning against the trailer. Drilled out 3 rivets on the front end awning. Swapped motors. Replaced the rivets. Pulled the pin. Done.

The tech said they have 35 trailers on the lot to do.

The tech also said they should not have had us bring the trailer to them. The factory says you can cut fabric and strap the fabric to the roller, if you have to move the trailer. :eek:

I still have not gotten an explanation of the failure mode that I believe.

AnnaK
05-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Thank you very much for posting the recall info. I don't know if our Passport is affected, we'll go check. Had you not posted we might not even have known of the situation.

Rusty
05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the heads up!

Just got off the phone with the dealer, yes there is a warning for mine trailer posted in the paperwork for my purchase, which was just a couple of weeks ago!!!

The Service adviser had no idea about the recall, she is talking to her manager (:rolleyes: right now as I type this as we are taking it out for our shake down run this weekend......would not want to mow the tree tops in the CG we are staying at with the canopy extended, either that or I would hate to smack something else on the way there......

Beefsgt
05-14-2013, 05:12 PM
The dealer told me it is a motor issue and that I should just pull the fuze for the awning. I hope the dealer is right as we are going about 3 hours on Thursday. :banghead: I will be looking at the zip tie method tomorrow to see if I can help support it. I will also be driving with my eyes in the mirrors more than the road...well the DW will have to watch the mirror...:eek:

Rusty
05-15-2013, 05:34 AM
I actually used the Velcro straps from my awning de-flappers as the awning arms have such a tight fit to the trailer wall. And even then I could only put one strap on as the rear arms were even tighter.

Zip ties would not have worked at all.

Kristi
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Just called my dealer, they just received the recall notice and are pulling the list of owners to notify... of course ours is one of them :( Now to decide how to secure it till they get the new part in. :banghead:

Rusty
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Just called my dealer, they just received the recall notice and are pulling the list of owners to notify... of course ours is one of them :( Now to decide how to secure it till they get the new part in. :banghead:

Kristi it should be rather easy, I know with mine like I said in the previous post I got the Velcro straps from my old De-flapper system and fed it behind the arm and wrapped it back using the hook and pile strap to secure it.

Kristi
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks Rusty, we are gonna strap it tonight before we head out for our maiden voyage tomorrow. (tx)

chartrand
05-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Dealer replaced my motor, the new one seems to be slower to roll in and out. Anyone else notice that too?

MarkS
05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Dealer replaced my motor, the new one seems to be slower to roll in and out. Anyone else notice that too?

I thought mine was slower too. But could not say for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

joeyb
05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I was contacted by Keystone for my awning recall (they call it an "open campaign") beginning of April. Long story short Keystone had me contact Dometic direct. They took all info like vin# and mfg & ser# of awning itself. Mine was located on awning once rolled out a foot sewn into fabric. You know its the one when a letter is present in the 4th digit in the mfg# per Dometic. Still await the repair guys phone call. Dometic already shipped part to him. I'm not rushing cause it sounds like a learning process for the mechanics. Good luck to everyone else affected.

Kristi
05-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Mine is at there dealer now getting replaced, gonna pick it up in the morning, of course I haven't had it long enough to tell if it was slower or not.

Dadstoy
06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Our awning is part of the recall. We bought our Summerland just 3 weeks ago and the selling dealer said nothing. We talked to Dometic this morning and they said to not move the trailer and they would send someone to our house to repair the awning. Their suppose to call back with a time.

Dadstoy
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Supposed to be someone here before 8 AM tomorrow to repair our awning. He's coming from Cincinnati, about 65-70 miles away.

Dadstoy
06-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Awning fixed in about half a hour. Old motor out , new motor in. Works about the same speed.

Zeb
06-08-2013, 03:46 AM
We bought our 2910BH Passport in April 2012. Have it set up for the season in Upper NY. We had our Power awning rolled up (closed position) when we last left the campground. When we returned yesterday we were shocked to find the awning on the ground. Camp owners said there were very high winds on Monday and they saw our awning flapping around so they tied it down best they could for us. Seems to have been a failure where roller is attached to the arm. Just happy that didn't happen on the road!! Will call dealer to see what can be done. I suspect out of warrenty and not part of recall so insurance will have to be involved. Awning broke fridge vent cover on roof. Also my TV antenna was destroyed but that was my bad...I left it up!

I searched the forum and didn't find any similar problems. Anyone experience anything like this before?

Here are some pics.

JRTJH
06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
The Dometic power awning has a limited 3 year warranty. Whether the warranty would cover the specific problem that caused your damage or not is unclear at this time. It would depend on what failed. However, the general warranty is for 3 years, so you should be OK with Dometic to back you up. Contact your dealer, don't forget to ask about the awning recall as well. There has already been on inclusion of awnings outside the original recall, yours may be included as well.

GOOD LUCK

Zeb
06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks JRTJH!
Funny how you know Dometic Awning has a 3 year warranty but all places I called, including my dealer, did not or could not give me that information!!
Selective amnesia I guess.
Right now it's in the hands of insurance....path of least resistance.

Cheers!

joeyb
06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Just had mine replaced today. Stood right there took him 20 mins total. Very easy change out. And yes mine is a slower motor - not a big deal. Was surprised to see crimp-on connectors from the factory along with the factory gang plug. Had them solder them.

SaintHalo65
06-22-2013, 01:10 PM
First we love this forum. Just loads of awesomeness from all. Our question is pertains to when we recently purchased our 2013 31BHPR Premier with electric awning. Something that keeps sticking in my thoughts was during the final check and walk through before delivery was thefinal check rep telling my wife and I that when rolling out the awning to full extension that it will not stop and if I am not careful it will keep on rolling forward and roll up the otherway on itself. The recommendation was to keep a watchfull eye on it as I press the button and stop when it is fully extended. This is wierd to me. Should there not be a built in stop on the extension or is this typical for these awnings? Oh BTW we are outside the recall #'s thus far. Heading to Key Largo Tuesday!!! Thanks in advance

Festus2
06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
If you have the 9100 model, there doesn't seem to be any indication in the User's Guide stating that there is some kind of auto shut off that would prevent over extension. It seems that when the awning is fully extended, the operator releases the button to stop it. I suppose if you weren't paying attention, you could hold the switch down too long and over-extend it or possibly damage the motor - blow a fuse or ???
I don't have a power awning myself so I am just going by what was in the manual for the 9100 Dometic. Sorry, I can't be of too much help here.