PDA

View Full Version : can you walk on the roof ?

jambull
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I want to install a new wingman to our wineguard antenna and was wondering if others have got onto their RV roofs without damaging the rooftop ...any suggestions ???

SLIMSHADIE
07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I walk on mine all the time. Just be careful. Also wish it came with a ladder.

floydsheating
07-08-2010, 02:08 AM
its fine until you realize that your lying on the living room floor looking through your brand new impromptu sky light! i avoid getting on my roof at all costs! :eek:

campingcpl
07-08-2010, 07:23 AM
They walk on the roof at the factory to install and seal the A/C, tv antenna, stereo antenna, roof vents, and roof trim. They also walk on the roof after putting the roof decking on to rout out all the openings. So I don't see a problem with you walking on the roof.

Festus2
07-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I have been up on my roof numerous times and have yet to end up on "the living room floor looking up at my brand new skylight". Like walking on any roof, use common sense and you will be alright.

kenn209
07-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I'd be more concerned of falling off the roof onto the ground than the living room.

Flyguy
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
It's not the fall, it's that sudden stop!!

MackDaddy
07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Im about 220lbs and I didnt have any probs on my roof. Good Luck

floydsheating
07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
my dealer told me that it was a bad idea and they showed me a picture of one trailer with a big hole in the roof from what looks to be were somebody broke through but i just choose to be a little cautious and i dont want to take the chance.

jambull
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
thanks for all the replies ...well..seems to me it must be safe enough from all the positive comments ..have any others on here installed a wingman to their wineguard antenna ? and has it gained you any extra channels and better signal reception?..

Jim W
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi, I installed one on my older 5TH wheel and I did not see any improvement with the addition of the Wingman to the antenna. I do have to state that I had to added a digital convert to the TV system. My older camper had an analog TV in it so this may have been part of the problem also.
I have notice an improvement over the older analog TV with the newer digital TV in the Cougar, we now own. We camp at the same park this year with the grand kids and the picture was better and had more channels available then last year.
Hope this Helps?
Jim

hankpage
07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
thanks for all the replies ...well..seems to me it must be safe enough from all the positive comments ..have any others on here installed a wingman to their wineguard antenna ? and has it gained you any extra channels and better signal reception?..

Yes I have installed a Wingman and no extra channels but a little stronger signal. Would I do it again ... yes ... the cost was minimal and VERY easy to install.
As for your original concern .. I am 250+ lbs. and I walk on my roof at least twice a year to clean it and inspect sealant on vents and other openings. Use caution and common sense and you will be fine. Dealers want you to pay them to clean the roof and seal vents ... you can bet that they will be walking on it. If it makes you feel better go to the Keystone website and check under the construction of your model. I'm sure it mentioned walk on roof for my Cougar.

Seann
07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
If you walk on the roof make sure there is no debris in the soles of your shoes that could cut the rubber roof. If you have a roof that is thin ,like on my keystone Zeppelin then I recommend that you cut some 8" wide sheets of plywood to distribute your weight over more of the roof.

Flyguy
07-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Good advice Seann, I couldn't agree more.

SLIMSHADIE
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Probably a little dangerous, but I leave my flip flops at the bottom of the ladder and use my bare feet, for that reason. With the velvet soft rubber it doesn't feel slippery at all, even when cleaning.

jambull
07-25-2010, 07:00 PM
well,thank you all for the info ,my trailer roof info does not say its a walk on , so will take peoples advise and spread out a sheet of plywood to distribute the weight ..also I have a buddy who clicks the scales in at like 140 lbs so he is small enough and light enough to move around up there...also from what I can see in their video ( wingmans) its a simple install ..so if we are lucky he will not be up there too long ...again thank you all for your tips and suggestions and words of wisdom ( newbie here ) thanks again ...

Festus2
07-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I see that you tow your 278RLS Bullet with a Ford Ranger p/u. How does this combination work for you? ( I realize that this has nothing to do with your original question about walking on the roof but wondering if you find the truck a bit on the "small" side --- even tho the Bullet is categorized as a Lite Weight?????)

jambull
07-26-2010, 03:50 AM
yes ,it may seem like a small truck but it tows the bullet quite well. the only time we have had any trailer sway was a trip we made last weekend. we were on a bumpy back road hwy and the wind was blowing at least 40-50 kms a hour . it was not dangerous or anything ,just slowed down a bit and she settled down . so far, other then that one time have not seen a need to add a sway bar and we have driven it at speeds of 100 kms a hour on better paved hwys. before buying the truck we did a bit of homework (newbie trailer owners,but have camped lots of times)..its a FX4 ranger 4x4,126 inch wheel base, 4 liter 6 cyl engine with a class 3 receiver . also in stock form it has a automatic transmission cooler with a 4.10 limited slip rear gear. only thing I added to it so far is K+N air filter,and a pro net cargo tailgate net for improved gas mileage,and added a prodigy 2 brake controller ,7 point wiring harness, a husky weight distribution hitch and Ciba door mounted mirrors so we could tow the bullet . not too sure about the gas mileage but its not too bad.. checking out truck models we still wanted decent gas mileage to go sight see after we set up our site . and to be honest the only thing I find small on the truck is the interior , my fault not fords... ...who knows I may have gotten lucky and it doesn't think its a "little" truck ...:D

Bowline
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
When we purchased our RV in October, the first thing we had done was to have a ladder installed. It is crucial that you get up there to check out the seals and regularly apply UV screen to the plastic parts such as the air conditioner shroud, vent caps, plastic parts of the TV antenna, etc. (I try to do mine every 6 weeks during the summer.)

So many people neglect their roofs and pay for it when leaks develop. If you are concerned about your weight bending the roof trusses, just get down on your hands and knees to distribute the weight. It's safer, anyway.

Stargazer
07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I downloaded the FAQ from the Keystone web site and this is the official statement on walking on your roof:

Q-Can I walk on my rubber roof?
Yes, with a few exceptions as noted (Springdale, Cabana, and Outback). Our roofs utilize 3/8” plywood underlayment and are designed to be walked on. Please, always use caution when working on top of any RV.

I had no problems going up and installing my roof vent covers and Wineguard Wingman, but getting down was another issue. It's a bit freaky hanging over the rounded roof edge without anything to hold on to. I know my wife told me that my foot was only 1 inch away from the top step of the ladder, but I couldn't see anything :o. Unfortunately, it's not possible to install a ladder on my Premier because there isn't any wall support for it.

ralphank
07-29-2010, 03:37 AM
I've cranked my antenna up, rotated in 90 degree's so when you lower it in this position it hangs over the side, makes it easy to work on :). Crank it back up when the work is finished and stow properly.

ftwildernessguy
07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I downloaded the FAQ from the Keystone web site and this is the official statement on walking on your roof:

Q-Can I walk on my rubber roof?
Yes, with a few exceptions as noted (Springdale, Cabana, and Outback). Our roofs utilize 3/8” plywood underlayment and are designed to be walked on. Please, always use caution when working on top of any RV.

I.

This seems to conflict with Keystone's video done in May 2009. They specifically say you can walk on the roof of the Outback, and show a guy doing just this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnj-4_5iXKQ

Bowline
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
It is absolutely essential to get up on that roof to check out the seals, apply UV protectant, and put on the ADCO cover. I had a ladder installed on my RV as soon as I bought it, and I have used it more times than I can count. I agree that the biggest danger is falling off. I am usually on all fours - that way my weight is distributed, and I have less chance going over the edge.

ftwildernessguy
07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
A couple weeks ago I was on the roof installing Maxx Air vent covers. This weekend I'll be up there putting Eternabond on the end seals. I'm up there twice a year to clean it and put on the cover and take it off. If a dealer tells me I shouldn't be up there, I figure it is because they want to do the service and charge me for it. I've seen my RV tech. He easily weighs 100lbs more than me and I don't know how he would do any work at all on the roof without climbing on it. As far as the suggestion of placing plywood on the roof to distribute the weight, I would think there would be a greater chance of tearing the rubber material trying to lay a sheet of plywood up there.

jambull
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
well I did install my wineguard wingman..I just lowered the antenna to the nearest side and climbed the ladder till I was eye view with it and installed the wingman ...no need to go up on the roof and must admit we now get 3 more stations from my driveway so yes it was a good time/money investment ...thanks to all who offered ideas and tips ..

BigCajun
09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm a "Big Ole Boy" and I walk on my Raptor roof. It gives a lot more than my last camper. I just try to walk on the ribs which are clear to see. When installing my second a/c, I used a piece of plywood to help spread the weight. Make sure there are no splinters to rip your rubber roof!
I installed the wingman, it was a breeze, but I don't see a difference. I have read, however, that it should help when closer to major markets. I am usually in a rural area.
Also, I should add that the ladder is a piece of ****! The plastic holding the rungs on is a death trap. They broke when my 13 year old climbed up. And he is not a "big ole Boy"!

Seann
09-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I want to install a new wingman to our wineguard antenna and was wondering if others have got onto their RV roofs without damaging the rooftop ...any suggestions ???

A couple of long narrow bits of plywood placed on the roof where you step will distribute your weight over a larger area

duh1
10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
We have ordered and will pick up a 2910bh in late Nov. and just walked through one yesterday, about the third time. No one around here had one to really look at. We did not see a whole lot of ac outlets for a mixer, blender, etc. in the kitchen area or did they place them someplace 'special' and we just missed them when we were looking?

We have a 2008 Silverdo with a 5.7L and are worried about the weight but are biting the bullet anyway. The fact you can pull and handle it with a Ranger is encouraging. Our mantra will be pack light but the spouse already has a fearsome pile of stuff that is going into it. Makes me a bit nervous.

Did you have any warranty work right out of the box? Any other recommendations would be appreciated, this is our first TT and it will all be new for sure.

jambull
10-30-2010, 04:34 AM
yes we tow the trailer with the ranger ,its a 4 liter with a 4.10 rear axle so it produces enough torque to move the 278RLS very easily, the trailer itself is like 5000 pounds and has a aerodynamic front end and a enclosed underbelly so am sure this helps as well ...we did have a few small issues,( a screen door would not close fully and was a bit stiff...< just adjusted the hinge to align it >...cupboard doors and drawer were a bit loose..<they inserted a longer screw to hold it tighter> very small things that the dealer took care of in a day ..we could have done things ourselves of course but its best if they do it in case they mar or scratch something they will replace it ..we get tons of complements on the trailer/ truck combo ..some people can' t believe we tow with a ranger even after we pull in with it ..lol...am sure you will enjoy yours,we added a few things to ours for convenience,and pleasure and am sure you will add some modifications as well ..as for your wife adding more weight to your trailer by bringing along lots of stuff my GF is the same and I cringe sometimes wondering if its getting to be excessive but we weed out the stuff that we don t use week to week and it keeps the weight in check

vipermn
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I walked on the roof for the first time last weekend (put the cover on for the winter) and was not comfortable up there. If I missed one of the roof beams, it make a cracking sound. I am a big ol' boy too (235 lbs) and will avoid walking on the roof of my passport as much as possible.....

Festus2
11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
The next time you have to go up on your roof, you might want to try Seann's suggestion using a large piece of 1/4-3/8 in plywood. I like the cautions mentioned in a couple of the earlier posts about ensuring that the plywood edges are smooth (no splinters). You might try using a large rubberized mat to lay down underneath the plywood to avoid ripping the rubber membrane.

EarlJr
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Just got back from a tour of the manufacturing plant in Indiana, where I learned that it is safe to walk on the roof, assuming normal safety precautions are observed.

kingji
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
My Springdale fifthwheel didn't come with a ladder, I didn't notice this until I got it home. I started looking at adding a aftermarket ladder but I have a big window on the back and the back section of fiberglass siding surrounding the window feels hollow and I was concerned about the lack of support. I was kinda of taking the hint that the top on this particular camper was really meant to be walked on a whole lot. I might if I had to, but I going to do my best to stay off of it. My previous fifthwheel had a ladder and I got on top of it a couple of times a year but using extreme caution to step on the supports.
JK

DEW
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if you can add a ladder to a Laredo? I have a 2011 291TG - well it is still on order atleast...

Flyguy
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Best I can tell it's best to order the trailer with the factory installing it! If you already have it then it needs to be checked for the proper internal supports before you go installing a ladder on it. Well anyway that's what I've heard.

KanTC
03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
DEW,

According to the current Laredo website the TT comes standard with a rear ladder, BUT... the current brochure/flyer doesn't show the same. :confused: I'd suggest contacting your dealer & ask about the conflicting info.

http://keystone-laredo.com/index.php?page=standards

2011 Laredo Travel Trailer flyer (dated Nov 2010)

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/documents/LaredoTTFoldFlyer2011.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

jq1031
03-18-2011, 03:18 AM
My New Laredo TT does not have a ladder & it was just built (off line) on Feb 24th! If you check further on that website, the ladder is on the 5er not the TT.

Maxzd
03-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Walk on my roof for maintenance and installs all the time. I usually step carefully where I can see a joist but I don't tip toe around though..

Installed vent covers satellite dishes, solar panels. Never an issue walking or being up there. Maintenance same thing cleaning up there a few times a year. Just extra careful thats all. I am fortunate to have a ladder attached, never crossed my mind not having one..

I installed the digital wingman add on and instantly got more channels. Where I was parked, I could pick up three. After install I got 16 digital channels. Keep in mind you need a digital tv with an atsc tuner built in or an external digital tuner hooked up to an analog tv otherwise it's not going to do much of anything...

DEW
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
My New Laredo TT does not have a ladder & it was just built (off line) on Feb 24th! If you check further on that website, the ladder is on the 5er not the TT.

Thanks for the info... I also saw on some other posts in a different thread that the Superlite series do not have the support built into the frame to handle the weight/pressure of someone climbing the ladder. :( I guess I have no choice but to get a step ladder now...

SLIMSHADIE
03-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I called keystone and at least on my model and/or most superlites it was advised to not to add a ladder, no support. I also talked to a couple different dealers, which told me the same thing.

So i was thinking about a telescoping ladder, kind of pricey but want something. Around xmas I seen those Werner Mt 13' ladders on sale for $75(lowes/home depot). I asked for it as a present. I have it know but have not used it yet. I use a step ladder all the time, hanging lights off the awning, checking the slide before closing it. So I thought this might be better all aorund. Its a little heavy and bulky but I think wiil work good. Just need to check to see if it will get me to the roof?

rdm61230
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Installed mine last week and it did help my reception and gained a few channels.

Wild Wild Qwest
04-02-2011, 07:20 AM
I walk on ours with caution and avoid wearing BIG honkin boots with aggressive tread, which may tear the rubber roof.

I'm also planning to install a Wineguard Wingman and I'm curious to see if we get any additional channels. One way to find out, eh?

Adam
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Hey Mikey....Let me know how that goes for yah :)