PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

jimp
05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Looking around the net for why I fried my battery and found this forum.
Looks like some knowledgeable folks around here.
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel 2004 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL Bought the springdale used after I got the new truck in 07. Jim

MarkS
05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Welcome.

A little more information would help. Truly fried? As in shorted out? Just discharged?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TAZ23
05-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Welcome to the forum. what exactly is wrong with the battery? Wont hold a charge? Shorting out? (sparks,smoke,heat?)

TandE
05-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Is the battery original? Or have you ever replaced it? It could just be old and in need of replacement. Like the others have said more info would be helpful.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

crash
05-06-2013, 03:31 AM
:wlcm:to the forum from the east coast.Alittle more info on our battery problems please:D

jimp
05-06-2013, 06:36 AM
I left the trailer plugged in to shore power besid the garage thinking charging would automaticly shut off when fully charged. I went out one day and
smelled battery acid very strong. I guess the chargeing boiled the water down.
So I guess the charger doesnt shut off when battery is fully charged..??:banghead:

MarkS
05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
How old is the battery?

SAABDOCTOR
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
HI AND:wlcm: Bummer about the battery. quick test after you replace the battery ( with a new one fully charged) :). put a volt meter on the battery while hooked up. what is it charging at over 14 volts 13.2? and if you can what amperage is it charging at? you may have a bad converter/charger. if all is normal then you had a bad battery and the converter over charged it. you will need an ampmeter that can read over 20 amps. good luck"bouncey:

Festus2
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM
When you are plugged in to shore power, your RV's converter will charge your battery and depending upon its condition, will apply a different rate of charge. If it is in good condition and fully charged, the converter will most likely apply a small float or trickle charge.
Most of the stock converters do not stop charging but will vary their rate of charge. This requires that the owner check the water levels on a regular basis in the battery to make sure that they are being maintained and topped up if necessary. If you are plugged in all the time and don't check the water, it will eventually keep dropping until your plates are exposed and your battery will be ruined.

Bottom line? Keep an eye on your battery!

jimp
05-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks Guys. I wasn't watching it close enough. I'll keep a close eye on it this time. Just put 2 new Batteries on my truck and have to get a new
trolling battery for the boat. When it rains it pours. :)