PDA

View Full Version : 250Rs With Electric Tongue Jack / Slam Baggage

zuninet
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
We're about to pull the trigger on a 2013 250rs outback and are torn between a trailer in canada (where we live) and one in the states. The difference between the two is about $1900 (the us trailer is cheaper), with the US trailer having the electric tongue jack and slam baggage doors. The Canadian trailer must have been manufactured earlier in 2013 as it is a manual jack. Is the electric tongue jack and slam baggage doors worth the savings? I'm also a bit scared of warranty work on a us trailer up in canada...

Any feedback is welcome

Festus2
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Since you haven't yet "pulled the trigger", try working with the dealership to have the electric tongue jack and the slam doors installed as part of the deal ( or at least go 50-50 with them). There's always room for a bit more negotiation. If they won't budge, you can always walk away and take your business to the US.

I'd check with other local dealers to see if they do warranty work on units purchased in the US. Some dealers won't do any warranty work unless the unit was bought from them. Not an acceptable practice IMO but done nevertheless.

Given a choice between an electric tongue jack and slam doors, I would opt for the jack but that is just my preference. Yours may be different.

If you haven't done any research about importing a vehicle or RV into Canada, you might want to do this so that you know exactly what is involved - including any taxes and fees.

zuninet
05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Festus, it isn't between slam baggage doors and the jack. The canadian unit doesn't have either, the us unit has both. This is apparently do to keystone doing a rolling change later in the 2013 model year.

Pmedic4
05-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Bought a new TT from a dealer about 200 miles from my home, and then needed some minor repair work, and the only choice was to return it to the selling dealer or a member of the dealers chain(one was closer by about 4 miles!). With my Tow Vehicle (9-10mpg) and the trailer you can quickly estimate the cost of fuel for a 400 mile round trip @ $140. And that's assuming you can drop it off and return in the same day. What if you have to drop it off and leave it for a week if the repair is significant enough.
Ended up trading it at a dealer 100 miles away, better, but not great. When I did take our 5ver back for warranty service, they have a large sign up that says;
"We only do warranty service on RVs purchased at our dealership.
Check out your options for warranty service before you buy! You and I both hope you never need it, but with my last repairs, I could have seen easily a $1000+ repair bill.

GaryWT
05-10-2013, 03:47 AM
We have both the doors and the jack. The doors are nice but could live without them, the jack is a must for us and an easy add on. On our first trailer after getting the price set etc I asked them to throw in the jack and we had a deal, worked great. The trailer near home that is $1900 higher seems that either there is room to get the price down or it has to do with a fee to bring the trailer over the boarder. If there is a fee for you and worrying about getting repairs it might be best to have the jack added to the Canada trailer. Are there any other upgrades in the US trailer?

billb800si
05-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Doesn't Canada have a VAT tax? Maybe that accounts for some of the difference in price. Also I noticed on the Keystone Retail price List there's a price adder for Canada specification requirements.
You can always add an electric hitch jack yourself (3 bolts & 1 wire connection) easily for around $200 to $250..
Personally, if a dealer EVER told me he only would do warranty work an a unit he sold I would NEVER do business with them- PERIOD.
Good luck & happy camping.

Bill B. (Michigan)
U.S.Citizen- Canadian Born) :)

GMcKenzie
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised that the difference is only $1,900. That would probably not be enough for me to make the trip to the US, deal with the hassle of importing etc. Plus my dealer gives 10% off on parts because I bought the unit there. Now I hope I haven't spent $19,000 on parts, but every little bit helps.

I don't have the slam doors but did get a power jack with mine and would not go without that.

GMcKenzie
05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Doesn't Canada have a VAT tax? Maybe that accounts for some of the difference in price.

You would have to pay it either way.

Here in BC you would have to pay the 5% GST when you crossed the border and pay the 7% PST when you licensed it. You'd pay the 12% buying it up here.

suza
06-08-2013, 05:38 PM
The electric jacks are worth every penny. The slam baggage, I could do without. Actually, I don't like the way they close. They just don't seem to latch snuggly, so I always end up locking them. I asked our dealer about this and he said that's why they are called "slam doors". Apparently you really have to slam them. The front hatch (under the hitch) is a regular door with two latches and a lock. The only advantage I can see, to the slam baggage doors is that they are held open by a magnet. Is there something I am missing? I guess I don't get it :confused:

golfpro
08-13-2013, 10:10 PM
a dealer who only does warranty work on a TT they sell, is an idiot. since RV fell a few years ago and many people are doing their own work, it is stupid to have that kind of attitude. money is there only if you do the warranty work. we did warranty work for any one we could get the factory to authorize payment for.