PDA

View Full Version : What is proper pipe thread sealer for hot water anoid?

DennisT
05-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Couldn't find this via search, so...

Getting a late start de-winterizing. I was told I should use a blue color sealer in blue-colored can, pipe thread sealer when I re-install my sacrificial anoid rod back into my RV's hot water tank.

Local hardware store never heard of this.

Can someone tall me please, what I'm actually looking for?

I typically just use Teflon tape, but was told that is not good enough.

Thanks for the help,
Dennis

Ron
05-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Teflon tape, pipe dope or liquid teflon will work. I myself use teflon tape....."bouncey:

SAABDOCTOR
05-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I also use tefflon tape.Just do not use the white tape on you propane lines.

SteveC7010
05-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Teflon tape, pipe dope or liquid teflon will work. I myself use teflon tape....."bouncey:
+1

I keep several rolls of the standard white plumbing teflon tape in my tool box and at least one roll in the trailer. Indispensable stuff.

Remember that you're pulling the rod out every year for winterizing so you want to use a seal that is easily cleaned off the threads. The tape is the best for this.

DennisT
05-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Thank you. Makes sense to me, and I'd never heard of the, "other," stuff anyway. Good grief, I use the white stuff on household plumbing, Hot and otherwise.

Dennis

MarkS
05-02-2013, 09:32 AM
On my previous trailer, it was my practice to remove the WH drain plug between trips. That WH did not have a anode.

Any problems with removing the anode between trips?

Javi
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
On my previous trailer, it was my practice to remove the WH drain plug between trips. That WH did not have a anode.

None....:D

hankpage
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Thank you. Makes sense to me, and I'd never heard of the, "other," stuff anyway. Good grief, I use the white stuff on household plumbing, Hot and otherwise.

Dennis

I think they were referring to "Blue Teflon Tape". It is a thicker PTFE tape that is designed for use with gas, oils and other flammable liquids and acids. It can be used on just about anything and gives a better seal.

SteveC7010
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM

None whatsoever. But probably not necessary. For many of us, the plug/anode goes in during dewinterizing and comes out when we winterize.

However, if I camped regularly where the water contained stuff that used up the anode faster than normal, I'd do the same as you

mountainlivin
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
As a plumbing and heating guy, I do use the blue, "Blue Monster" is a good brand. Blue is the only approved tape for gas lines, but it is superior to the normal white. So I use it on every thing.
Doesn't twist on itself as bad, doesn't ravel at the end and get "stringy" as bad.
Costs more but less waste. IMHO:cool:

mobile42
05-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I also use teflon tape on the threads but to extend anode life, avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank. Drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used (usually after a camping outing). Under normal use, the anode rod will still deteriorate so I recommend it be replaced annually.

DennisT
05-03-2013, 10:48 AM
This thread has turned out more useful than I expected. Thanks to all who replied.

My anode rod has a somewhat crusty, white coat on it, but still retains 80%+ of it's original diameter and size. I was under the impression when it displayed substantial erosion and diminished size, that was the time to replace it. Differences in water and their chemical reactions I suppose.

Removal of my anode is the only way I have to drain the HW tank. So I was inclined to leave it in place all of last summer.

I think I'll check back at the hardware store for that, "Monster," brand of sealer. I do remember seeing a small can with dobber that had some blue to the label. However, it was prominently marked for PVC and gas lines so I quickly passed over it. Maybe that's the one I want??

Cheers,
Dennis

hankpage
05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
This thread has turned out more useful than I expected. Thanks to all who replied.

My anode rod has a somewhat crusty, white coat on it, but still retains 80%+ of it's original diameter and size. I was under the impression when it displayed substantial erosion and diminished size, that was the time to replace it. Differences in water and their chemical reactions I suppose.

Removal of my anode is the only way I have to drain the HW tank. So I was inclined to leave it in place all of last summer.

I think I'll check back at the hardware store for that, "Monster," brand of sealer. I do remember seeing a small can with dobber that had some blue to the label. However, it was prominently marked for PVC and gas lines so I quickly passed over it. Maybe that's the one I want??

Cheers,
Dennis

Dennis, The "BLUE" sealer you are looking for is TAPE, not liquid. The white tape will work on water also but the blue is easier and better. As mentioned in several posts above.

Javi
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Here.... http://cleanfit.com/blue_monster_ptfe_thread_seal_tape_70885.shtml

DennisT
05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Dang it. Thanks for the reminder. I read that about tape then forgot it. Probably saved me a mistake.

Guess I'm getting old.............

Dennis