PDA

View Full Version : Scissors Jack request

SaintHalo65
05-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Picking up new TT in a week with a follow on trip, Premier 31bhpr, does anyone know the socket size needed for the 4 scissor jack stands, I have a cordless drill and am packing the essentials for the trip. Thanks in advance

Bugle Boy
05-02-2013, 05:41 AM
I believe you may find that the directions may say to not use a drill or impact wrench on those jacks. I will check mine later but there is a tag on each jack that has warnings.

michol02
05-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Mine requires a 3/4" socket

SaintHalo65
05-02-2013, 06:07 AM
I will wait and see then thank you very much

Bugle Boy
05-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Keep in mind that this is on a 2006 Sunline.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_75453_0_c986a1a10ee503980dabbedd1e0e2f03.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/PaulHobs/media/sizzorsjack001_zps6c1db26f.jpg.html)

Javi
05-02-2013, 07:00 AM
This is pretty much what everyone uses..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V8U12M/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=18351224901&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=66179878938371327&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_21o1y8i21r_b

fla-gypsy
05-02-2013, 07:04 AM
I use a 3/4" and my Dewalt 18v drill. There is a big difference between a battery powered drill and an impact wrench. You should never attempt to lift the trailer with a stabilizer jack.

billb800si
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Use poor folks who don't have electric jacks use a electric drill. Boy I'm getting electric jacks on our new Cougar.
I like to camp not sweat!!!

Jay Pat
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM
3/4" here.
Pat

Festus2
05-02-2013, 02:41 PM
And then there are really poor folks like us who don't have a spare 18V drill to raise and lower the manual jacks. :mad: I always thought that manual jacks were exactly that....you had to do it manually. :cool:

Sweat? It takes less than 30 secs to either raise or lower 2 jacks by hand and less than 20 to do it with a drill. :D

f6bits
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't use a spare 18V drill. I bought a Ryobi or some other cheaper brand 9V. It's good for a couple rounds of camping before recharging.

Festus, it takes me about five times as long manually as with the drill. Totally worth the money. Especially down south where it's warmer.

Festus2
05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Scott -
Having never worked in your southern heat, I'm sure it must be very taxing on one's stamina. If I ever get down your way, I'll be sure to invest in a cheap drill. Thanks for the heads up.

Javi
05-02-2013, 06:15 PM
And then there are really poor folks like us who don't have a spare 18V drill to raise and lower the manual jacks. :mad: I always thought that manual jacks were exactly that....you had to do it manually. :cool:

Sweat? It takes less than 30 secs to either raise or lower 2 jacks by hand and less than 20 to do it with a drill. :D

Wait till you come south and its a 105 in the shade with 85% humidity and you'll wish you had that drill :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

bjbatman
05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Cordless drill is the only way to go!

jsmith948
05-08-2013, 02:14 AM
You have to look at the bigger picture. My DW is my camp set-up and tear-down helper. She usually works the stabilizers. To make it easier for HER, we bought a DeWalt cordless drill. And, when we aren't camping, she lets me use her drill in the shop!:D

davidjsimons
05-08-2013, 02:48 AM
I used to use an electric impact, but because it was very quick and had a lot of torque, I bought a cordless drill to use instead. I still carry the impact just in case I need to make a pit stop ( tire change ) while in route. I should have considered an angle driver though, I could have used it on my X Chocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GMcKenzie
05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Scott -
Having never worked in your southern heat, I'm sure it must be very taxing on one's stamina. If I ever get down your way, I'll be sure to invest in a cheap drill. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't have to go that far. Come up to the interior in August and I will lend you my drill.

18V Ryobi from HD. I have an angle drill simply because I need it for where I store my trailer.

GMcKenzie
05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Wait till you come south and its a 105 in the shade with 85% humidity and you'll wish you had that drill :D

See Festus. At least the Okanagan is a dry heat.

Javi
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
See Festus. At least the Okanagan is a dry heat.
I might send him mine as I'm working on changing to a Lippert system for the new trailer... push a button is easier than bending over with the drill:D

cajun4396
05-08-2013, 10:05 AM
3/4" and I use an 18 v Dewalt drill/driver everytime. Set it on medium and as soon as it touches ground let off the trigger... I never try to lift the trailer more than a 1/2", the scissors just aren't made for lifting a lot of weight... same with retreiving... lickety-split!

Festus2
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Javi and all the other cordless drill people ----

Since I am probably the only one on the entire forum who still uses the hand crank to raise and lower the stabilizers and obviously way out of touch, I thought I would try to get a "leg up" on the rest of you by being really innovative and totally up-to-date.

For those of you who have a recent smart phone such as the iPhone 4 or 5, you will all be familiar with Siri or her android equivalent. She's the gal who will carry out commands for you simply by speaking nicely to her.

Yesterday, I took my iPhone out to the Cougar and in a quiet, calm and very polite voice, I asked Siri to lower the stabilizers. No more sweat and exertion. No bending over with a cordless drill. No more pushing buttons. Far too strenuous! Siri will do the work with a simple voice command. :)

I waited and nothing happened. Next time, I spoke a little louder and still nothing. I asked several more times and each time, I found myself shouting louder and finally ended up cursing the poor lady when the stabilizers hadn't responded .:banghead: So much for cutting edge technology and at that point the old hand crank looked pretty darn good.

After I had calmed down, I realized that, since I don't have a push button system, and Siri disobeyed my commands and refused to co-operate, I am left with two choices: the electric drill or the manual hand crank. I have been told by many that the drill is far faster and less strenuous. Tomorrow I am going to put the drill and the hand crank to the test to see which is faster and by how much. Stay tuned for the results. :D

JRTJH
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Festus2, This afternoon when we arrived here, it was 76*F. That's "hot" for Michigan, so I pulled out the drill and after lowering the front landing gear and disconnecting the hitch, I used the drill to lower the rear jacks. I was sitting in a lawn chair with a cool adult beverage as my DW extended the slide. What a "convenience" the drill has become :)

Javi
05-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Okay Festus... confess up.. was the drill faster? :D

billb800si
05-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Festus2, This afternoon when we arrived here, it was 76*F. That's "hot" for Michigan, so I pulled out the drill and after lowering the front landing gear and disconnecting the hitch, I used the drill to lower the rear jacks. I was sitting in a lawn chair with a cool adult beverage as my DW extended the slide. What a "convenience" the drill has become :)
================
I'm also from Michigan and my hand cranking days are all over. Buying a 2014 High Country with a remote.. That should do it.
Now how to set up the table/chair & cold beer... Hmmmmmmmm

JRTJH
05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
================
I'm also from Michigan and my hand cranking days are all over. Buying a 2014 High Country with a remote.. That should do it.
Now how to set up the table/chair & cold beer... Hmmmmmmmm

Hmmmm "maybe" you can still use the drill to extend and level the legs on that table ????? ROFLMBO :D

Festus2
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Okay Festus... confess up.. was the drill faster? :D

Javi and others ...

As one would expect, the drill was faster. I used an 18v DeWalt and a 3/4" socket to lower one rear stabilizer. Five trials were conducted using the drill and 5 using the hand crank. Wife used stopwatch to time but kept asking, "Why are we doing this?" :confused: I told her that it was a long story and that Javi wants to know. More confusion.

The average time for the drill was 2.0 secs (rounded off to whole number) and 5.0 secs for the hand crank -- a difference of 3 secs.

Since I have only 2 stabilizers and using a drill to lower both, it would take 4.0 secs and with the hand crank 10.0 secs ---- a difference of 6 secs.

Is 6 seconds a big time saver? Depends on how quickly you want to hit the lawn chair and open a cool one. :D

Didn't work up a sweat or exert myself while cranking but it wasn't 100 deg outside either --- just 78 deg.

In the end, I think I'll remain the forum holdout and just be a crank. :D

Javi
05-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Pretty much as I expected.... The drill is faster but not enough to really matter to most..

For me however it isn't as much about the speed as it is the sweat factor... I do have 4 jacks on the bumper pull, as opposed to your 2 on the 5'er...

And a DW that is terribly impatient with the whole setup and take down process... and anything that gets her inside to the A/C a little faster is a huge benefit... :D

SteveC7010
05-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Our trailer was a floor demo at the dealership so a few little trinkets like the crank handle have never been found. I've been using a box end racheting 3/4" wrench or the drill thing. The time difference is a lot greater between these two devices so the drill is a clear winner. I suppose I could pick up a cheapie 1/2" drive crank handle at Northern Tool. DW would never notice the additional item in my tool collection, would she?