PDA

View Full Version : Another outdoor kitchen question.

TandE
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
So I have a 2013 hideout 22rbwe with the outside kitchen and as some of you know it just has a pan with no drain in it that you have to dump out. I was doing a few things on the trailer and decided to look at it a bit more to see if I could put a drain on it.

Here's the question- could I add a fitting to the side of the black tank and run a pipe up to the outdoor kitchen compartment? Of course right under the compartment would be a P-trap and then go to the tank.

And then inside the compartment there would be a cap on the pipe to the tank where I could make a quick connection of some sort to connect to the sink pan but can be removed when the kitchen is stowed (still need to verify clearances but looks as though it might work).

Would this be a bad idea connecting to the black tank? My only reasoning for connecting it there is to help with black tank draining and of course not having to worry about emptying the sink pan.

SteveC7010
05-01-2013, 11:04 AM
So I have a 2013 hideout 22rbwe with the outside kitchen and as some of you know it just has a pan with no drain in it that you have to dump out. I was doing a few things on the trailer and decided to look at it a bit more to see if I could put a drain on it.

Here's the question- could I add a fitting to the side of the black tank and run a pipe up to the outdoor kitchen compartment? Of course right under the compartment would be a P-trap and then go to the tank.

And then inside the compartment there would be a cap on the pipe to the tank where I could make a quick connection of some sort to connect to the sink pan but can be removed when the kitchen is stowed (still need to verify clearances but looks as though it might work).

Would this be a bad idea connecting to the black tank? My only reasoning for connecting it there is to help with black tank draining and of course not having to worry about emptying the sink pan.
I would be very reluctant to add anything to the wall of the black tank on my own. The chances for failure of the seal are just too great for my tastes. If you really wanted to dump into the black tank, cut into the vent pipe several inches or more above the top of the black tank. That way it takes an overfill condition to even reach the possibility of a spill. And, fittings for the 1.5" ABS vent pipe are readily available and very easy to work with, creating a better and much safer seal.

However, draining into the black vent pipe may not work so well depending on the height of the sink bottom. If you can't attain at least a foot of drop or more between the bottom of the sink and the tap point on the vent pipe, I think you'd be running the risk of some kind of messy accident sooner or later. Remember that the anti-siphon device on the black tank flush systems is at least 36" or higher above the tank.

If you regularly camp where there are waste water hookups on the sites, you'd be better off to rig up a "T" with a valve to go into stinkly slinky and just drain the sink water that way.

TandE
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
If you regularly camp where there are waste water hookups on the sites, you'd be better off to rig up a "T" with a valve to go into stinkly slinky and just drain the sink water that way.

That's what I was worried about with the black tank is just sealing all the connections or an overfill condition. We do camp at a few "no sewer connection" places and that's why I wanted it to go in the tank and the black was the closet I believe to that sink. And since our gray tank isn't that big our two day dry camping the other weekend we almost filled it.

I did think about doing what you said using a T valve to the slinky an when dry camping just use a bucket or container under the sink but was trying to figure out a way to take less stuff with us.

SteveC7010
05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
That's what I was worried about with the black tank is just sealing all the connections or an overfill condition. We do camp at a few "no sewer connection" places and that's why I wanted it to go in the tank and the black was the closet I believe to that sink. And since our gray tank isn't that big our two day dry camping the other weekend we almost filled it.

I did think about doing what you said using a T valve to the slinky an when dry camping just use a bucket or container under the sink but was trying to figure out a way to take less stuff with us.
You might find this article of interest: http://www.marxrv.com/grwater.htm
The writer used the system to transfer from gray to the black tank to lengthen his "time between dumps" and to increase the amount of liquid in the black tank prior to dumping. I have a similar pump set up which I use to dump the gray to the "blue tote" for trips to the dump station when we dry camp for two weeks at a time. Rather than tow the tote at really low speeds, I put in the bed of the pickup and pump the gray water up to it. I have a 50 foot hose that I use for this and could just as easily move gray to black via the toilet.

Anyway, it's more info on the same general issue.

Comptech
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
If it were me I would try and figure a way to pipe it to the grey tank. The thought of making any kind of after thought connection to the black tank would make me nervous.
I'm not sure where you camp but maybe you could just hook a garden hose up somehow and have it drain off somewhere close... or into a 5 gallon bucket. Not sure that dumping grey water on the ground is bad? Or what ever water is that you generate in the sink...

TandE
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah after thinking about it a little more I don't want to mess with the black tank at all.

I will most likely run a line to a T at the sewer connection or just use a bucket and then dump down the toilet when full.

I am going to go look and measure to see about maybe adding a small tank under the outdoor kitchen cabinet just for the sink and run a pipe to the sewer outlet area so it would have its own tank. It would be a lot of work but hey it gives me an excuse for another project.

SteveC7010
05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure that dumping grey water on the ground is bad? Or what ever water is that you generate in the sink...
It's illegal in New York State to dump gray water (or black) on the ground. Since we camp a lot in NYS DEC parks, we get a lot of exposure to that rule. Interestingly enough, tent campers have been dumping their dish water, etc. in the bushes all along with never a citation issued. RV owners get hassled about it all the time from the parks' staff. My step-son got a severe warning from a ranger over a fresh water leak out of his city water connection. Go figure.