PDA

View Full Version : Roof on the Premier, I'm so confused

chartrand
04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok, I thought the Premier had a rubber roof, but while checking out my antenna head I noticed my roof did not appear to be rubber at all... Instead is was a hard plastic, sort of like a cap that would be placed on top? Anyone know what this is, or is it really what everyone calls a rubber roof?

-Pat

hankpage
04-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Keystone's website only gives specs up to 2013 models and for those it says
"One Piece Seamless Rubber Roof
Durable rubber roof to last the life time of the trailer"

Most ( if not all ) Keystone trailers have EPDM rubber roofs unless this is something new for '14.

chartrand
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I contacted Keystone and the 2014 Keystone Bullet Premier is not using EPDM, it's using an alpha-ply product now. Here is a link to the product where you can find out more about it. There are two pretty good videos that talk about the product and how to install it.... enjoy...

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Product/Detail/19?producttypeid=1

-Pat

MISailor
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
I contacted Keystone and the 2014 Keystone Bullet Premier is not using EPDM, it's using an alpha-ply product now.

Jealous (I think). My 200 Cub had a similar "plastic" roof and I think it was much more durable than the EPDM rubber that is on my 2013 Premier.

therink
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Cool. Are these going on all models or just Premier?

davidjsimons
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I believe the alpha-ply is more of a weight saving effort. It is supposed to be 1/3 lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

86GT2r
04-29-2013, 03:51 PM
I hope it holds up better then the plastic roofs on the Fleetwood (Coleman) pop-up campers.

f6bits
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
So…is it as walkable as the EPDM? I imagine it's a lot easier to clean.

chartrand
04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I think the material is walk-able as long as the roof is built for it, but I'm not sure the roof on the Premier is really designed to be walked on. Today I swapped out my antenna for a Jack antenna and just used a ladder. When I pushed on the roof there was some give between the beams.

I do not know for sure but after taking a factory tour and seeing them running Bullets and Premiers on the same line, my guess is that the 2014 Bullet will also have the new roof.

Easier to clean... Well you just spray it off, no need to treat it with anything once every so often. It doesn't create the black streaks on the trailer either so that helps keep the rig clean.

I read it holds up better with UV rays, which is good since I'm storing it outside and not under any type of cover.

-Pat

Shogunles
02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I think the material is walk-able as long as the roof is built for it, but I'm not sure the roof on the Premier is really designed to be walked on. Today I swapped out my antenna for a Jack antenna and just used a ladder. When I pushed on the roof there was some give between the beams.

I do not know for sure but after taking a factory tour and seeing them running Bullets and Premiers on the same line, my guess is that the 2014 Bullet will also have the new roof.

Easier to clean... Well you just spray it off, no need to treat it with anything once every so often. It doesn't create the black streaks on the trailer either so that helps keep the rig clean.

I read it holds up better with UV rays, which is good since I'm storing it outside and not under any type of cover.

-Pat

I called Keystone on this roof as it is a first for me. According to them, it is walkable. However, they do not recommend it of course. I will not be the one to test it out.

Thanks for adding the bit about swapping out your antenna for the Jack Antenna. I wanted to upgrade the antenna as well. And I could not remember which antenna it came with. I only used my Bullet Premier once before winterizing it. I did not have a chance to give the antenna a good look, among other things. And it is up in Upstate NY 150 miles from me at Camping World, getting some issues worked out. So I cannot go out an look at it.

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Very interesting, since I just dragged home a new Premier yesterday. I guess I'll have to get out a ladder and check it out today.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p526x296/1902814_494046250706753_617685779_n.jpg

SAD
02-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Very interesting, since I just dragged home a new Premier yesterday. I guess I'll have to get out a ladder and check it out today.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p526x296/1902814_494046250706753_617685779_n.jpg

Congrats! Bought from Deans in Tulsa?

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 06:09 AM
I bought it at Jamatt, in Poteau. I live in Broken Bow,all the way in the SE corner.

SAD
02-22-2014, 06:23 AM
I bought it at Jamatt, in Poteau. I live in Broken Bow,all the way in the SE corner.

Cool.... Have you owned an RV before? Or this your first?

Where will you be camping? Wifey and I mostly camp around Skiatook lake or Grand (south side so we have access to lake and ATV areas)...

Have also taken trips to Tenkiller, Tallequah, Waynoka, Siloam Springs, Western AR, etc....

chartrand
02-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Congrats on the new RIG, Its a really nice model and looks very sharp.

PT RV`er
02-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks for adding the bit about swapping out your antenna for the Jack Antenna. I wanted to upgrade the antenna as well. And I could not remember which antenna it came with. I only used my Bullet Premier once before winterizing it. I did not have a chance to give the antenna a good look, among other things. And it is up in Upstate NY 150 miles from me at Camping World, getting some issues worked out. So I cannot go out an look at it.

Believe me, the factory installs the cheapest antenna they have. Before I swapped mine out for the Jack antenna I couldn`t get but one channel. I right away I knew I needed to change it out. Same thing as on my old Dutchman. The Jack antenna works great, I get upwards of 25 channels in my area.

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Cool.... Have you owned an RV before? Or this your first?

Where will you be camping? Wifey and I mostly camp around Skiatook lake or Grand (south side so we have access to lake and ATV areas)...

Have also taken trips to Tenkiller, Tallequah, Waynoka, Siloam Springs, Western AR, etc....

Thanks SAD, and you too Chartrand!

It is our 3rd TT, and we've only been at it since 2008. I hope we keep this one much longer. I just figured up that we spent about 55 nights in our 2011 model and, with the depreciation hit, taxes, insurance, and maintenance, it cost about $10,000. That comes out to about $182/night - some pretty expensive lodging, and that doesn't even count campground fees or the extra gas burned towing it 7,000 miles.

But, I just retired and my dreams are to take it on several 2 week to 2 month trips a year. We just got back from a 23 day trip to Florida. We have firm plans for a 2-3 week trip to the Missouri Ozarks in April and are still undecided between Kentucky and West Virginia, or Colorado and New Mexico for the summer.

SAD
02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks SAD, and you too Chartrand!

It is our 3rd TT, and we've only been at it since 2008. I hope we keep this one much longer. I just figured up that we spent about 55 nights in our 2011 model and, with the depreciation hit, taxes, insurance, and maintenance, it cost about $10,000. That comes out to about $182/night - some pretty expensive lodging, and that doesn't even count campground fees or the extra gas burned towing it 7,000 miles.

But, I just retired and my dreams are to take it on several 2 week to 2 month trips a year. We just got back from a 23 day trip to Florida. We have firm plans for a 2-3 week trip to the Missouri Ozarks in April and are still undecided between Kentucky and West Virginia, or Colorado and New Mexico for the summer.

I envy you. I'll be 43 this year... Hoping to retire at 55. Trying to figure out how to make that happen. :o

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Don't wish your life away. Have fun while you can, and SeaDoos are fun!

SAD
02-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Don't wish your life away. Have fun while you can, and SeaDoos are fun!

Considering selling the skis. Pontoon/tritoon in our future. First grand kid due this summer. Skis don't don't work so well for "family friendly" weekend trips. Bad part is I doubt I could fit it in my shop where the skis currently park. Would have to park outside (in the elements) or figure something else out. :(

therink
02-22-2014, 11:56 AM
We camp about 40 nights/yr. Just with rv payment, insurance and maintenance alone, that equals $159 night. I hate thinking of this but it is still worth the experience and memories.

SAD
02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
We camp about 40 nights/yr. Just with rv payment, insurance and maintenance alone, that equals $159 night. I hate thinking of this but it is still worth the experience and memories.

There is no "justifying" an RV purchase.

Just like there is no justifying a boat, an ATV, a car nicer than an econobox point A to point B machine, eating out, cable/sat TV, having more than 1 pair of shoes, etc, etc.

Anything above basic food/shelter/clothing can't be justified. However they can be creatively rationalized.

It's all just a matter of priorities. RVing fits in there somehow.

Western Traveler
02-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Ouch, I almost replied to the hijack. It was very philosophical though.

JRTJH
02-22-2014, 02:59 PM

It is well worth the memories!!!

In our situation, it was $42,000 for a new truck, $28,000 for a new trailer, that's $70,000. Camped in it 62 nights in 2013, so that's about $1,130 per night so far. Hoping to get at least 120 nights in 2014, so the per night cost will go down to about $348 per night. Still worth it since in 2015 the per night cost will go down even more. I figure when we get that cost down to about $6 a night if the trailer isn't worn "slap out", we'll "break even", till then, what's more important? After all, that's only 11,666 nights total.... Or for easier computing, 31 years of sleeping in it to get to $6 a night....

Money or memories? Between the toys and the travels, the only other thing to be spending money on is kid's inheritance. My plan is to make sure there's enough left to bury us, the kids can split the pictures.... Otherwise, let the good times rollllllllll :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JRTJH
02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Considering selling the skis. Pontoon/tritoon in our future. First grand kid due this summer. Skis don't don't work so well for "family friendly" weekend trips. Bad part is I doubt I could fit it in my shop where the skis currently park. Would have to park outside (in the elements) or figure something else out. :(

How about another "LEEN-TEAUX" on the side of that green and white thing in your back yard????? :eek:

SAD
02-22-2014, 03:10 PM
How about another "LEEN-TEAUX" on the side of that green and white thing in your back yard????? :eek:

The side you speak of, would be the not-visible when viewed from the house. Not sure id like that much.

Might consider carport type thing in back of yard - straight back from house and clearly visible.

It's only money right??? "bouncey:

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 04:59 PM

:rofl:
I was about to apologize for getting this thread about the new roof material on Premiers off topic, and then I see the moderator discussing "LEEN-TEAUX". I don't feel so bad now.:)

EcoBullet
02-22-2014, 05:11 PM

We got rid of our SeaDoos about 7 years ago and got a 17' Glastron. I miss the 'Doos, but it does work better with the little ones around.

JRTJH
02-22-2014, 06:58 PM
EcoBullet,

You are correct. JRTJH needs to not get distracted so easily. It's time to get this thread back on track. The focus should be the roofing material on Premier travel trailers.....

I will notify him of his "distractions" and urge him to refrain from further off topic posts.... Wish me luck in getting his attention <sigh>

hankpage
02-22-2014, 07:34 PM
EcoBullet,

You are correct. JRTJH needs to not get distracted so easily. It's time to get this thread back on track. The focus should be the roofing material on Premier travel trailers.....

I will notify him of his "distractions" and urge him to refrain from further off topic posts.... Wish me luck in getting his attention <sigh>

I am sorry to say .. There is only one way to get his attention. http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_113506_0_9088c83c81adc4a21b288c7437b8092a.gif

Now , back to the OP's concern. EPDM has been around for a long time, perhaps this new roofing will be an improvement. If it were mine I would want to know exactly what maintenance is required and what sealants to use or avoid. It sure would be nice not to have black streaks anymore. JM2¢, Hank ............................... John ..... Go to your room! ... It has been a long winter.

hankpage
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
There was another thread where a Fuzion did not have an EPDM roof. I checked the exterior features on the Keystone website for Fuzion and Premier there is no mention of roofing material. Cougar, on the other hand still says one piece rubber roof. I did not check any other models. I am wondering if all models will change roofing eventually.

BirchyBoy
02-24-2014, 12:04 PM
I looked at the roof of my Passport Express this weekend but can't tell you what the material was. My only takeaways were "it looks complete, no rips" and "how the heck am I going to install a vent cover on the dead center vent". The tech did tell me that I could fix any tears with roll-on rubber sealer, no silicone. He may not know about some of the roofs changing material, though.

Charby
02-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Will the Dicor sealant adhere to the Alpha roof the same as the rubber roof, or do you need something different?

chartrand
02-26-2014, 06:11 AM
Will the Dicor sealant adhere to the Alpha roof the same as the rubber roof, or do you need something different?

I sent out an e-mail to a person in Customer Service that was helpful in the past, but I have not heard back from him. He may no longer be there or perhaps he's in a different department now. Either way this is a great question and one that i would certainly like to know the answer to.

-Pat

chartrand
02-26-2014, 06:33 AM
So I did some looking around on the Alph-Ply web site, and found exactly what I was looking for in there product care link: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

To answer a few basic questions:
Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.
Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.
Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.
To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

There are other documents with additional instructions as well.

Enjoy,
Pat

Festus2
02-26-2014, 07:52 AM

If you visit the Alpha roof website (www.alphasystemsinc.com), they have a FAQ and Product link which describes what kind of sealants they recommend to be used.

From what I was able to determine from their site, the Alpha roof, while not EPDM, is still a "rubber" roof. They do have their own products for roof repair, and maintenance.

EcoBullet
02-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks chartrand and Festus2!