PDA

View Full Version : Taking Delivery Stories

Heather
04-28-2013, 05:19 PM
We're taking delivery of our new Premier 19fb in two more days... thought it would be both fun and educational to hear some of your stories of when you picked up your rigs? I'm sure there's all kinds of things you run it to!

Bugle Boy
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Ours is due in the 2nd week of May. Will let you know how it goes.

My btother and I are taking the Sunline on it's last camping trip next weekend. Headed to Stockton Lake, MO to harrass the crappe and walleye.

SlowPoke
04-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I never had pulled anything besides a popup and a small lift trailer for work, when I took delivery of mine. My DW was supposed to go with me, last minute was called into work, couldn't find anyone to ride the 2.5 hr trip with me to pick it up.
Got there, was so worried about the trip home on my own, with no experience towing a 35 ft TT, ... that just kept running through my mind. I didn't look at everything I should have, before finishing up. Luckily,not much was wrong (once I finally got home and had everything off my mind and really dug into a "Post Delivery Inspection" LOL).

The bad part was I was so concerned about the trip home, and how I would do with my cheap tow mirrors that I picked up at Wallyworld the night before to stick on the mirrors (lack of planning on my part) that I paid no attention to the tech hooking up my new purchase to my truck.Didn't watch what and how he did anything, then with my mind wandering, everything he said faded to "Blah Blah Blah".

I towed it all the way home , took me 3 hours, white knuckled the first 100 miles, then I eased into it and relaxed finally.

When I got home, much to my surprise, the tech forgot (cuz I was talking him to death) to put in the pin that locks down the tongue lock.:eek:

A call back to the dealer, got me all the parts I needed, and a solemn promise to help me out with whatever I needed to make things right as I went through and discovered anything else wrong. They completely understood my dilemma, and was more than willing to do whatever on their end to keep me from driving back for minor issues that I could fix myself if I chose to.

If ya take anything from my experience, remember to keep your mind on your money, and your money on your mind....Your luck may not be as good as mine, and take the time to thoroughly check your unit, and ask questions, and take a notebook to write stuff down. Don't go with your pants pulled down like I did.:p

MISailor
05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
So, Heather. How did it go today?

Kristi
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah Heather, how did it go? We are picking our passport up Sat, can't wait!"bouncey:

Randy_K
05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Busy time of year. We pick up our passport on Saturday as well. The hard part is going to contain the excitement of our first TT while we do a proper inspection. < PDI forms printed out and ready to go >

Randy < & Connie >

frano
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
We took our new Vantage FLS 32 home a few weeks ago and have camped in our driveway for about 5 nights (a few in the 20's). When we did the PDI, the dealer mentioned to us that they noticed that the bedspread had some stiching pulls in it and they ordered us a new one and sent to our home. They also did a roof seam recall prior to delivery. Other than that, the trailer is perfect. We're very pleased with the quality of the unit and even happier with the dealer--Diamond RV in Hatfield, MA. Our last trailer, a Heartland product, was delivered to us with all sorts of issues (from a different dealer). :)

F16Vip3r
05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Similar to "slow poke," when I bought my first TT I would wind up with a sore neck/back after about 30 minutes of towing... I was just stressed! I'm much more at ease now. I just picked up a new 320BHS last weekend. I posted some "initial impressions," many of which may be "Keystone-isms," in the Travel Trailers section. I love the floor plan we got, and she's much better than our old trailer, but there are still some things I wish we had. 90% isnt' bad!

Unfortunately, I had to bring her back to the dealer on Tuesday. After driving home in the rain, we found several wet spots on the floor. We think they were from poor undercarriage sealing, and water being kicked up by the tires. At least this means she wasn't leaking for the 6-9 months she sat on the dealer lot.

Our first real camping trip (we only spent about 12 camping after picking her up last weekend because it poured for 48 hours straight) will be next weekend in KY--assuming we get her back from the dealer.

Cougarfamily
05-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Are you a crewmember for a Viper, or just a fan?:D

edit: I see that you are in the military, so I now ask if you fly the plane, fix em, or loader?

EricLynnAllison
05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
When I made the jump from a 1800# popup to a 4500# TT the first 150mi. ride home was also a white knuckler. That was nothing compared to my next jump into a 15000# 42' Toyhauler. That was a 400mi. ride home alone. That one had the white knucles and my butt puckered up tight. Now after a year and 5000miles. I feel a little more comfortable.

lightning79
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I picked up my 2012 Springdale almost a year ago after pretty much buying it on a whim and deciding to live in it for the summer (I'm a teacher). So I go to the dealership, sign the papers, get the walkthrough, and start backing my truck up to the front of the trailer. As they are hooking it up to a basic ball hitch (they said I didn't need a WDH with this tow vehicle), I asked about brakes. They said "yes, this trailer has brakes." I said I didn't think I had a brake controller in my truck! I had just picked up this truck about three weeks before. So we see that I have no way to control trailer brakes. They said the salesman should have asked to see my tow vehicle. Well, I can't take my new trailer that day, so back it goes into the lot, and I had to go back the following week to get brakes and I decided to get a WDH hitch with friction sway control. Kinda glad I had to go back, because in that week I decided to do some research and settled on have a WDH.

Other than than, and running over, but not destroying one wheel chock, and having my water hose spray inside the trailer when I was winterizing it, a pretty good first year RV experience. Can't wait to get back at it in June!

Kevin

Family_5ers
05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
The guy giving us our instructional tour forgot to close the door to the bunkhouse and crushed it pulling in the rear slide- I thought I was going to pass out. Thankfully, they rectified it quickly and with (of course) no cost to us. When we picked up it again they had a note stuck to the inside of the control panel reminding US to close the door.

davidjsimons
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
On the day I went to pick up my new unit, the guy giving me the instructional walk through released the elastic strap that holds the television in place, it slipped from his hand and knocked a piece out of the front cabinet. Of course he was shocked and embarrassed. I simply laughed and said I now know how not to do that. The dealership repaired the cabinet and all was well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GMcKenzie
05-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Biggest issue was buying mid-summer the dealer never ran the furnace in their setup. So first cool weekend I fired it up only to fill the trailer with smoke. Freaked and was read to drop it back at the dealer but grabbed the furnace manual and it did talk about packing oil burning off the first time you run it. Fired it up and had the fan going. 1/2 hour later and all was good.

Really think the dealer should have run it first though.

OldFloridaBoy
06-02-2013, 03:08 PM
The place where we bought our TT (238ML) has a campground where you are invited to stay overnight after delivery. The idea being, if any problems arise, you can deal with the technician the next day.

The lot porter (a guy with a forklift that jockeys anything with a hitch to-and-from all over the lot) transported our unit to the campground. We stayed overnight, but when we tried to hitch up to leave, I couldn't get the hitch under the tongue of the trailer. He only used one piece of wood to block the tongue, and due to the slope of the ground and the height of the hitch, it wouldn't slide under. Had we towed the TT there, it would have been obvious during setup that the problem existed.

Luckily, a technician on-site (on a Sunday) was able to use a jack stand to give us a few more inches of lift. Now we carry enough support to get it well off the ground so I don't "max out" the lift of the tongue support.

labs4life
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
At the Camping World in Chattanooga, TN, they have an on site campground and you get 3 free nights for a shakedown trip. They will spot the trailer in a site door you and have the electrical plugged in.

Good delivery experience and have been very satisfied with raiser so far. Just minor issues and I repaired most myself. Things I had to go back to dealer for, tongue jack switch burnt up and furnace board, they replaced both while I waited. This was on two separate occasions. They have a 20-30 bay shop. This used to be Shipps RV before CW bought it and the son of the original owner still works in the shop. Great service so far!

joeyb
06-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Ours started with a trip to Myrtle Beach this past March 2013 ended up at Pirateland. As everyone knows its been a long winter and lots of rain. So we were just down the street of a Camping World. I thought to myself lets pick up some accessories like, the carpet wraps for the steps. So lets just look at what may be different than what we see on the lots in FLA. So 11:00 am looked at camper fell in love, left the lot to take son to Wonderworks. As we were paying to get in got a call from camperworld and they dropped the price and the monthly payment, (I could not pass up) so got our money back from wonderworks and raced back to lot. 2:00 signed papers, went back to Pirate Land and packed the old TT camper in seconds to get back to lot. Our new camper was prepped had til 6pm to switch everything from one camper to the other. At this point we realized we had a lot of useless crap we were hauling around. 8:00 left lot with new camper and had to explain to Pirate Land, yes we belong here we just bought a new camper. Set up and crashed. 7 AM next morning packed up for FLA. Did I mention we had a 7 year old running around not sure to be excited for a new camper or bummed that he never made it to wonderworks. Long story short left for home (FL) with a 2013 Outback sat morning. We were looking but not too seriously all along. Just could not find the right combo. We are very happy to have found a model that was rare to find down here and fits us well. Oh yea, we did purchase the carpeted rug steps after all. We were in the right place at the right time. They gave us more for our TT camper than FLA was offering and the prices on the new one was extremely fair. All in all we are happy "bouncey:

Love2camp
06-02-2013, 05:03 PM
A few weeks after we picked our 5ver up from Camping World of Kissimmee we were taking it back for some warranty work and a woman pulled out into traffic right in front of us. Well my husband proceeded to lay on the horn so that she would get the hint and see the error of her ways. He held the horn for so long that when he took his hand off of the horn, it just kept going. He then proceeds to yell at me to fix it, thinking it had something to do with the alarm. After pulling over and banging on the steering wheel it finally stops. A few minutes later while pulling into a very crowded CW parking lot, it starts up again right as our salesman was coming to greet us. Needless to say everyone knew we had arrived.:rolleyes:

SAABDOCTOR
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Sometimes when you bang hard on the horn there are plastic bushings that get broken. chevy will want to sell you a wheel $$$$$$ or maybe these guys can help I use them for saab and volvo but they do others.http://www.odometergears.com/:cool:

Love2camp
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Sometimes when you bang hard on the horn there are plastic bushings that get broken. chevy will want to sell you a wheel $$$$$$ or maybe these guys can help I use them for saab and volvo but they do others.http://www.odometergears.com/:cool:

Actually we were using my sons Ford for this trip and after a little searching on the Internet learned it has happened to several others out there. Went off a couple more times for a few days after, but not a beep in over 6 mos. :confused:

Ken / Claudia
06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
We went to the fall rv show and kind of got the idea of what my wife wanted and I could afford. Than went to the dealer several days later, he told us the sale price would still be good. We spend 4-5 hours looking at some used trailers and even afew 5th wheels. Norrowed down to 2 new and one used trailer. Finally my wife picked out the listed trailer. On the day we picked it up, I seen a dent in the lower right side panel that was not there the week earlier. I did not say anything, it was a test. Within a minutes of sitting down inside of it the salesman talked about the dent and said they had the part on order and it would be fixed ASAP at their cost. He passed the test, I never let on that I seen the damage. I was not going to sign the papers if he did not bring it up. We have only used the trailer on several short trips but, we do like it so far and no problems.

fla-gypsy
06-05-2013, 03:46 AM
When I bought the current TT I was already an experienced RV'er and the PDI went very smoothly. I made them go through all the motions of turning everything on etc. I also purchased a new simple WD hitch and friction sway bar (I already had the Dual cam components picked out to add myself to save a bundle) because I sold the old one with the previous TT. I watched the tech assemble the parts of the WD hitch together quite competently (he seemed very knowledgeable) and slide it into the receiver and install the ball. After he was finished he was busy getting the TT ready to hook up to it and I looked at the ball and stamped into the top was 6,000 lb capacity. I called him over and asked him why he installed a 6k ball for a 10k GVWR TT and the red faced look of embarassment was priceless. he promptly fixed it.

Pmedic4
06-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I had posted this before, but thought it was worth mentioning again. I thought I did a fairly complete inspection since this was our seventh out eighth RV(all Towable) and has generally good experience even for a couple of used TTs. The TT we just traded in was probably the worse, with some exterior molding's coming loose, and the dinette seat being poorly designed so the back rest broke on the first trip, so we definitely were looking closely at this area and of course the exterior finish.
Everything looked good at the walk through except for a few missing items which we were assured would be sent to us. Took the 5ver home and again looked it over. Getting ready for our first trip, stated going through the Dewinterizing process and adding bleach to the fresh waste tank and then filling it-water started pouring out of the bottom of the trailer, hidden from my view by the bottom liner. Called and scheduled a service visit, and was told the fresh water tank was cracked around the outlet - they did a temporary fix so we could use the RV, knowing we had to go back for replacing the tank at a later date. So out on this first trip, we find leaks every where in the gray and black water lines. Oh well, we knew we had to go back for the freshwater tank so we schedule our appointment and had it repaired.
Part of the free delivery inspection that I've seen others mention is having the dealer fill all the tanks and show they hold water and drain properly. That is probably good advice - but likely will make the service department groan.
With all said and done we're Pleased with our 5ver, but not without a few questioning moments. Ultimately I think the unit was filled with water but not winterized before it got freezing temperatures and frozen water lines and tanks.