PDA

View Full Version : Capacity Discrepency

MISailor
04-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I find it interesting that the manual for my new Silverado 1500 states the max tongue weight at 800# for weight-carrying but the sticker on the factory installed hitch says 600# :confused:. One would think that the manual would agree with (or at least not exceed) the rating of the hitch. They do, however, agree on the max tongue weight for weight-distributing at 1100#.

None of this will be a problem for my little 19FBPR since I plan to use my WD set-up but I find it interesting none-the-less.

hankpage
04-26-2013, 06:06 AM
800lb. is GM's max weight for the truck ..... 600lb. is the max weight for the hitch and set by it's manufacturer.

SteveC7010
04-26-2013, 06:19 AM
I find it interesting that the manual for my new Silverado 1500 states the max tongue weight at 800# for weight-carrying but the sticker on the factory installed hitch says 600# :confused:. One would think that the manual would agree with (or at least not exceed) the rating of the hitch. They do, however, agree on the max tongue weight for weight-distributing at 1100#.

None of this will be a problem for my little 19FBPR since I plan to use my WD set-up but I find it interesting none-the-less.
Since most of the manufacturers now offer more than one receiver, each with a different rating, it would stand to reason that the manual would list the max for the vehicle only. If you needed the extra weight carrying capacity, you'd either order it with the vehicle or swap out the receiver later. If you put a beefier receiver on it with a 1,000# max weight carrying rating, you still only be good up to the truck's max, not the hitch's.

The Ford Super Duty trucks can be ordered with the Reese Titan (2.5" box) which is rated 2,000# tongue, 18,000# gross trailer weight for weight carrying. With the SRW's the receiver probably outranks the truck, but on a DRW F350 or bigger, the truck still trumps the receiver. If you need more, there's always the Super Titan (3") which is rated 4,000/25,000.