PDA

View Full Version : My kind of test drive

f6bits
04-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Top Gear USA shows some important real-world performance tests of HD trucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h88LgsH5fu0

chartrand
04-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh my... that was too funny!! I so want a super duty now....<grin>....

warsw
04-26-2013, 06:06 AM
The guy in the Chevy didn't turn his traction control off :rolleyes:. It is designed to stop wheel spin.

mic1hael
04-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I can't believe that dodge was only a six cylinder and did that poorly on the drag race. I am proud to own my GMC."bouncey:

SAD
04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
I can't believe that dodge was only a six cylinder and did that poorly on the drag race. I am proud to own my GMC."bouncey:

Hehe I am totally pleased with my Dodge 6 cyl....

409 cubic inch, cummins turbo diesel 6 cyl ;)

davidjsimons
04-28-2013, 11:23 AM

That six cylinder has a longer stroke. It was not designed to turn up quick like a shorter stroked V-8. Bottom end pulling power was the intention. 40% fewer moving parts, more total weight, a heavier crank and larger, heavier connecting rods, not exactly designed for the drag strip. Break the hood over on almost any road tractor and you will find mostly six cylinder inline engines. Coincidence? No.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dhuhn
04-28-2013, 11:53 AM
I'll stick with my Chevy any day :D:D:D:D

warsw
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
I really like my Chevy so far but I think I would be happy with any of them. IMHO these trucks are not built to be dragsters. Which truck wins in a drag race seems totally stupid. What they need to do is have the torque to pull, hold up for the long haul and get reasonable MPG while doing it. I think they all do that pretty well. If you want something that will do well in the quarter mile then get something more suited to the task :rolleyes:.

SAD
04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Worth noting that when that test was filmed, dodge was a 350/650 flavor.... While Chevy/ford was a 400/800 flavor... Dodge 400/800 wasn't available at the time of filming.

Not that I care much. I drive a 6 sp manual version.... Slowest of all of them... Any auto will smoke me since they hold boost through a shift (because of the torque converter).

I'd take any of them that offered a manual.

davidjsimons
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Worth noting that when that test was filmed, dodge was a 350/650 flavor.... While Chevy/ford was a 400/800 flavor... Dodge 400/800 wasn't available at the time of filming.

Not that I care much. I drive a 6 sp manual version.... Slowest of all of them... Any auto will smoke me since they hold boost through a shift (because of the torque converter).

I'd take any of them that offered a manual.

Also worth noting, if it was the 350/650, it either had 3.42's or 3.73's, not the 4.10's available with the High Output engine.

I drove a six speed manual in two different trucks, '01 & '03. It is a great transmission. When I bought my '12, I went with the six automatic this time. 650 ft/ lbs was all that was available with the manual but 800 was available with the automatic with the High Output engine. Had it been the other way around, I'd still be sliding the stick.

crash
04-29-2013, 03:59 AM
:D:D:DI love my Super Duty

Cougarfamily
04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
:D:DI love my Super Duty

I'll Second that! :D:D

tomsws6
04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Also worth noteing is that this is all for entertainment purposes.. Great show and I woulda loved to put cars/trucks through there pases like this without a care in the world!

labs4life
04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Also worth noteing is that this is all for entertainment purposes.. Great show and I woulda loved to put cars/trucks through there pases like this without a care in the world!

Agreed 100%!!!!
I also love my Super Duty!! :) :)

1bacamaro
05-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Love my dodge cummins. Couldnt give me any other truck for free.

rhagfo
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
That six cylinder has a longer stroke. It was not designed to turn up quick like a shorter stroked V-8. Bottom end pulling power was the intention. 40% fewer moving parts, more total weight, a heavier crank and larger, heavier connecting rods, not exactly designed for the drag strip. Break the hood over on almost any road tractor and you will find mostly six cylinder inline engines. Coincidence? No.

X2
Cummins is a true truck engine, just a smaller version to the over the road trucks. Easy to service and simple, parts through Cummins are reasonably priced, truckers don't like paying $$$$ to maintain their trucks.

Last but not least is longevity, 259K still pulling strong and only use about a qt. of oil in 10,000 mile oil changes.

SAABDOCTOR
05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
oh could i stir up a hornets nest... but I won't:D oh what the heck Drag racing for those that can't turn left circle track fro those that can't turn right. dirt is 4 racin asphalt is for gettin there. asphalt is for racing dirt is for plantin potatos. road course is for those that don't want to get lost. and pilots the propeller is to keep the pilot cool.... if it stops wtch him sweat! ok y'all have fun! sure wish i had their job or maybe myth busters:eek: