PDA

View Full Version : Overnight etiquette

sagebel
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I see people stating overnight at rest stops, Walmarts, and truck stops. What are the common do's and don'ts for each? We will be traveling from WA to NY and then NY to NM and are thinking about overnighting at one these types of places when we are not stopping to sightsee. Any recommendations?

Ken / Claudia
04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
At truck stops you get try to sleep thru the big rigs engines or refer engines runing all night.

richf28
04-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Truck stops can be a problem sometimes with the noise and the drivers think you have no right to be there so they play games to annoy you until you leave. By CDL law they are not allowed to run the diesel engine for extended periods. Walmarts work well but call ahead for permission and location on the lot they allow you to park. Some don't allow it for various reasons. There is a few smartphone apps that will guide you to the ones that allow it but still double check with the store. I try to use Flying J and Pilot. You can usually park in the lot away from trucks, fuel up in the morning and usually have a place to eat. You need to get there early though because they fill up pretty quickly. Don't recommend rest areas. Not the safest and illegal in many states. Some though do have overnight secuity for overnighters.

Bob Landry
04-25-2013, 04:12 AM
I've never seen a rest stop that you couldn't spend the night in. Maybe the long-hual truckers need to read this because I've seen them parked at night in everyone I've come across. Walmarts are different story, but the ones that disallow it do so because of local ordinances. Can you point us to something that will verify that.

Jim W
04-25-2013, 04:43 AM
I've never seen a rest stop that you couldn't spend the night in. Maybe the long-hual truckers need to read this because I've seen them parked at night in everyone I've come across. Walmarts are different story, but the ones that disallow it do so because of local ordinances. Can you point us to something that will verify that.

Here is a web site that provides this information by state, this site also has an APP for you phone or I pad device.

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm

Jim W.

mhs4771
04-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Don't put out the awning and lawn chairs (I've seen this at Wal Mart) Generally don't put out slides unless you're parked next to a curb or where the slide will not be into the lot.

JRTJH
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
There is a Yahoo Group with current information about WalMart "camping" and also extends to other "overnight parking" choices. The list is quite extensive and covers not only the do's and don'ts, but also has a very comprehensive and up to date list of personal experiences submitted by members.

You can find it at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/walmartrving/

In the files section, you can also find lists of all WalMarts, what's available, how far from the major interstates, which ones have camping designated areas, which ones do not allow camping and why (some areas enforce "no overnight parking" in business lots)

Also you can find other areas to park such as a list of Flying J's, etc.

Most of the information is fairly up to date and accurate.

hankaye
04-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Howdy All;

When using Truck Stops, it's wise to check with the Manager,
usually found near the fuel desk. Some have designated parking
areas for RVs, I' like the areas under an overhead light, in an area
that is easily viewed from the restraunt and fuel desk areas. Those
have folks moving around 24/7/365. Extra eyes.
Rest Areas are for daylight use. Leave the slides in as you will be in
the big truck area, generaly. After dark there are some strange critters
that creep out of the woodwork (lot lizards), and other nasty such things.
There are a lot of CG's that are close to InterState exits that charge a minimum charge for an overnight.
When spreading a slide over the edge of a Wally-World parking lot be
careful you don't do so over a sprinkler head. You might get the bottom of the slide washed when you don't need it.

hankaye

E597283
04-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Cabela's are great places to park overnight....there are sections in the lot dedicated to parking and also have grey/black tank dump stations. We just stayed in one overnight in Hamburg, PA. We pulle in arounf 11:30 and there were about 12-16 other campers with slides out for the night.

SteveC7010
04-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Cabela's are great places to park overnight....there are sections in the lot dedicated to parking and also have grey/black tank dump stations. We just stayed in one overnight in Hamburg, PA. We pulle in arounf 11:30 and there were about 12-16 other campers with slides out for the night.
Great info! I did look over the store list on their website. Not all of them offer RV parking and not all have dump stations. Best to check their store list for amenities and if any doubt, give them a call before stopping there.
http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp?WTz_l=Header

I've added this link to our master list that I am working on, too.

fla-gypsy
04-25-2013, 10:06 AM
At retail locations that allow it do not put out anything not absolutely necessary to get a little sleep after getting permission.

byrdr1
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
In our town the local walamrt has one to three RV's parked just about every weekend. they are in the parking lot farthest from the building. Acroos the road is Cracker Barrel, I have only seen this once but a rig was parked in their RV parking spaces over night. NOT sure about his but I guess it you could ask them. Nice breakfast the next morning before you leave. NC rest areas are all posted NO over night parking, we have one in our county near the exit where the walmart is.
randy

Ruffus
04-26-2013, 02:47 AM
If you want a restful and good nights sleep use a regular campground then you won't have to worry about truckers clipping your rig or playing games to make you feel unwelcome. State and county parks are inexpensive alturnitives.

cdawrld
04-26-2013, 04:32 AM
... Acroos the road is Cracker Barrel, I have only seen this once but a rig was parked in their RV parking spaces over night. NOT sure about his but I guess it you could ask them. Nice breakfast the next morning before you leave. ....
randy

Yes you can stay at most Cracker Barrel restaurants. We have done it a couple times and your right the breakfast is good!!!

I use the Allstays app. Tells you where it is acceptable, a possible review by others and the phone number so you can call ahead to ask permission.

sagebel
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Our movers are here today and we will be on the road a week from tomorrow. I totally forgot about Cabella's. Might need to get there early for some shopping.

richf28
04-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Check out this website regarding the legal use of rest stops. If you travel by watching what the truck drivers do then you could get in a bit of a jam because they too have been known to break a few rules of the road.

http://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking/

jsmith948
04-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Check out this website regarding the legal use of rest stops. If you travel by watching what the truck drivers do then you could get in a bit of a jam because they too have been known to break a few rules of the road.

http://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking/

I can't believe you would say that!! Approx. 2.5 million miles behind the wheel and I NEVER broke any rules of the road:p:D

richf28
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Oops, sorry, me bad. Just seemed funny to me to see that post about the truck drivers. But I showed the verification like asked so I guess everyone can make their own call on the statement. "bouncey: