PDA

View Full Version : New Front Compartment Transfer Switch/Power Connector

Jim Dow
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Montana High Country 2011: I added a new power transfer switch and power input terminal in the front (generator) compartment of my TT. This allows me to provide 50amp power to the TT from either end of the TT. Since it is convenient to store the 50amp power cable in the generator compartment, I now have a choice for connecting to shore power from the front or rear of the TT.

Also, I added a generator prep kit to the TT in case I decide to install a permanently installed generator at some point in the future. Right now, I use a Honda Superquiet ei6000 generator to power the TT. It allows me to use all the appliances and air conditioner at will - so far.

Jeff_S
03-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Jim,
Nice job! Can you elaborate on the transfer switch....what type and where did you put it?

Jeff Scott

WaltBennett
03-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I've been off and on thinking about putting one on the street side just in back of the basement door. Seems to me that it would make life a lot easier. I've never, ever gotten a good answer as to why 5th wheel manufacturers love putting the receptacle on the rear. In a Montana, if you remove the rear basement wall on the curb side you'll see where they run the power from the rear all the way from there to hook up to the power panel & converter. Why they don't they just come from somewhere on the street side where it'd be easier to hook up?

rclark
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
All RV parks are different, but it always seems to me the power pole in or near the middle of the space on the drivers side. Seems like my 30 ft power cord barely reaches in a lot of parks and this pushes sewer hose connection farther away. Not sure why the connection in always on the rear, but it would be much better near the middle. Oh the middle is taken up by slides.

canesfan
03-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Nice job!

I guess I got lucky, maybe to make up for my lack of gravity water fill they put my electric hookup right next to the docking station.

Jeff_S
03-05-2014, 10:07 AM
In our Montana High Country the power comes in at the very center of the back of the trailer. right where you might want to put a trailer hitch to carry bikes or anything for that matter. What I am going to do is to buy another Blue Sea Easy Lock 50 Amp connector and install it amidships near the utility panel. I could just disconnect the rear connector and not use it at all (you would never just tie two connectors in parallel because it is a safety hazard). But the system would be more versatile if the two inlet connectors came in through a 3-pole, manual power transfer switch. Then you could use either back or side connections. But I can't seem to find a reasonably priced transfer switch which incorporates a secure interlock. Two back to back triple breakers would do the trick and that is the direction I'm heading. A center mechanical bar would insure only one triple breaker could be on at a time. This is why I asked Jim Dow what kind of a transfer switch he is using because I want to do this job at minimum cost. A low cost mechanical transfer switch would do the job just fine.

Jeff_S

Comptech
03-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Jim,
This is a great idea, could you provide some information on the parts used?
and Maybe a few more pictures..... I really want to do this mod...

Montana High Country 2011: I added a new power transfer switch and power input terminal in the front (generator) compartment of my TT. This allows me to provide 50amp power to the TT from either end of the TT. Since it is convenient to store the 50amp power cable in the generator compartment, I now have a choice for connecting to shore power from the front or rear of the TT.

Also, I added a generator prep kit to the TT in case I decide to install a permanently installed generator at some point in the future. Right now, I use a Honda Superquiet ei6000 generator to power the TT. It allows me to use all the appliances and air conditioner at will - so far.

Comptech
03-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Jim,
Also, how do you run the power cord out of the 5er in the front?

GaryWT
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Looks good but a couple questions. Did you do this in a 5th wheel or a TT? Maybe this is what the switch is for but someone else was thinking of doing this but if the new plug was used, the would leave the original plug live with male connectors at 50A, if anyone touched them it would not be good. So, is the switch for one outlet or the other? Good luck with it.

Jim Dow
03-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I had the extra power transfer switch in the front compartment put in as part of my negotiations when purchasing the Montana High Country TT. I'm glad I did.

I don't know what the brand/model number is; but it is active all the time - as is the original power connecter/transfer switch in the rear of the TT.

The front power transfer switch is accessed by running the power cable up through an existing hole in the floor of the front storage compartment. The hole has a screw-in plug for the hole when the cable is not in use.

This arrangement is quite convenient.

Also, I purchased a 90 degree adapter plug which allows the heavy power cord to hang straight down the back wall of the front storage compartment.