PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have terrible weather??

lightning79
04-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Hello friends,

Does anybody else wish a real spring would arrive, or is it just me? I'm in Canada, albeit up north, but still, there's still big snowbanks around, it's 1 degree C today, and I really want my camping season to get going!

This is terrible!

Kevin

Paddler
04-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Brother Kevin, I feel your pain....it pretty bad here too, 79F and cloudy!!!!! Yeah, I'm going to regret this post when hurricane season starts, but until then...:D

wgb1
04-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Hate to tell you this, but low 70s and sunshine this weekend. Just finished mowing the back yard........for the second time. Been bike riding the past month or so, bike shorts and short sleeve jersey. :cool: While you're suffering, we're enjoying fantastic weather, but wait until August. We'll be suffering with 100 degrees+ and high humidity and wondering to ourselves if it will ever end. LOL!!

outlaw
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
I do lightening, since I got back up here from FL the weather has been rainy, cold, snowing or all three in the same day.:( Supposed to be 22F tonight and soon as it gets above 60 for a week I am outta here camping. I am right where NH, VT, and PQ meet on the Connecticut River.
Being from central Texas I know what heat and humidity are and my place in FL is the same way. JUL/AUG/SEP are just miserable, and that is why I have my place up here where I usually stay May-Oct.:)
Jim

lightning79
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Paddler, you're killing me, I wish I was in Florida right now, I really wanna go to Disney World (I love the haunted house!) Of course, a visit to Texas and a KOA there sounds pretty awesome too!

79 sounds pretty good to me!

Outlaw, I've been seeing that all over the northern U.S. it's been like that. Time for a change!

iamrwnut
04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
The laying snow is gone in Mid-Michigan, but it is 15-20 degf below average.. EVERY &%*# DAY. We should be at 60 during the day.... it is 35 now. Michigan is mostly uninhabitable. (until it's 70, then it is a beautiful state.... and then we get ready for another 10 months of misery)

JRTJH
04-20-2013, 04:46 PM
iamrwnut,

Just 100 miles north of you it was 28 for the high today, snow flurries all day long, low tonight in the mid teens and more tomorrow. BUT "they" say a warming trend is "just around the corner" I'm thinking it must be one "hellofa" corner <sigh> This time last year we were on the lake, marking walleye for opening a couple weeks from now. This year, there's still 18" of "rotten ice" on the lakes around here.

2 weeks ago we were in Marlette for a funeral and the snow was pretty much gone from all the fields south of West Branch. North of there, it was like "TEXAS" ... You know, a "whole 'nother country" I'm thinking the "frozen wasteland"

I see from the number of members/guests that have been signed in most of today, at least some people are getting a chance to break away from the winter "holes" and take advantage of the weekend. I'm hoping we get that chance pretty soon..... :cool:

Kevin, Hang in there and keep the faith. "Our time will come" as the old song goes...... :)

davidjsimons
04-20-2013, 05:18 PM
It's turned cold again in Virginia. It was in the mid 60's! You know that I'm kidding. I'm sure those of you up North will have no sympathy for us down here when the forecast is hazy , hot and humid, highs of 100+.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

labs4life
04-20-2013, 05:36 PM
It's turned cold again in Virginia. It was in the mid 60's! You know that I'm kidding. I'm sure those of you up North will have no sympathy for us down here when the forecast is hazy , hot and humid, highs of 100+.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in northwestern GA and we hit 35 last night for the low. 55 today and the wind was howling. As David said, you northerners will be laughing at us when the summer gets here and it unbearable.

JRTJH
04-20-2013, 05:41 PM
David, The last time we visited our son in Raleigh, was in July, 2 years ago. We had the AC cranked up to "OVERLOAD" and we were parked under an old oak in the shade. Even then, the only "treat" inside that RV was opening the reefer door to get another cool one. So, here's hoping it warms up here, cools down there and we all get some camping in before the season ends :banghead:

You're right, the "hundreds" are not fun "down there" 100% humidity, 100* temps and 100 straight days of "wilt" Nope, As much as I'd "rather not" this, Avoiding that makes it seem worthwhile to "endure" this LOL

chartrand
04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
I feel the pain, Michigan is cold as well, and I have this brand new travel trailer I'm just itch-en to use.

lightning79
04-20-2013, 06:34 PM
iamrwnut,

Just 100 miles north of you it was 28 for the high today, snow flurries all day long, low tonight in the mid teens and more tomorrow. BUT "they" say a warming trend is "just around the corner" I'm thinking it must be one "hellofa" corner <sigh> This time last year we were on the lake, marking walleye for opening a couple weeks from now. This year, there's still 18" of "rotten ice" on the lakes around here.

2 weeks ago we were in Marlette for a funeral and the snow was pretty much gone from all the fields south of West Branch. North of there, it was like "TEXAS" ... You know, a "whole 'nother country" I'm thinking the "frozen wasteland"

I see from the number of members/guests that have been signed in most of today, at least some people are getting a chance to break away from the winter "holes" and take advantage of the weekend. I'm hoping we get that chance pretty soon..... :cool:

Kevin, Hang in there and keep the faith. "Our time will come" as the old song goes...... :)

I'll be keeping the faith, at least I'm a teacher up north and my trailer is far away, so I can't see it sitting there, looking lonely for me!

On a completely different note, I love love love your fifth wheel, that's the one I'd like to get next, and I think it'd be a good match for my TV.

Kevin

Cougarfamily
04-20-2013, 08:17 PM
We could be havin' some nice spring days here if it weren't for the darn wind. :banghead: It has been blowing for the better part of 2 weeks. I think Arizona is trying to relocate itself by blowing into New Mexico. I have lived here since '01, and I can't recall ever seeing the sky look so dark due to all the sand and dust! One morning on the way to work, I thought it was foggy since it had cooled down a lot, but it was actually still the dust hanging in the air.

Made the mistake of waxing the camper last weekend. Now there is a layer of dust sticking to the sides, and you can see the swirls from all of the wiping. :banghead:

lightning79
04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Cougarfamily, that's a shame about the wax. But I really like both your Cougar and your truck, awesome vehicles!

Kevin

byrdr1
04-21-2013, 03:29 AM
It's turned cold again in Virginia. It was in the mid 60's! You know that I'm kidding. I'm sure those of you up North will have no sympathy for us down here when the forecast is hazy , hot and humid, highs of 100+. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here in central NC..
I think the humidity is whats so bad around here in the late summer.. go camping that time of year and its so bad its not enjoyable. We go to the mountains if we do camp to miss the humidity.
randy

Jca3
04-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes it's been quite the year. Here in Northern Utah it is below normal temps most days. Still freezing in the low 20's. We have been out twice this spring, the first to southern Utah in March for a week. We had to dig 2 foot ice piles to get it out of the driveway and it dripped water from the ice on the roof for 2 days. Then 3 weeks ago to Bear Lake which was still iced over, but the campground was clear. We have put antifreeze in both times when we returned home. We drain the water, but at 18 to 22 at night it is cheaper than a busted elbow on a pipe. Been there done that twice with our old RV in Nebraska.

Heading out again this week supposed to be 60 and hope not to buy the antifreeze again. Looking forward to the Oregon Coast and Northern Cal soon. "bouncey:

KJcachers
04-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Below normal temps here in Virginia. Of course when summer truly hits I will be wishing for these 60 degree days

JRTJH
04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
16F was the low last night, right now it's 52F. I "thought" I'd get started on that driveway at the polebarn, so I jumped on the tractor and headed over. The first bucket I tried to move, I hit ice. Tried several other places, all ice about 5" down, so now, I'm back at the house, tractor in the barn, road graded, and nothing even close to level over at the pole barn..... Maybe next week? Oh well, at least we can fire up the grill tonight and do something outside, even if it's only chicken or steak. YIPPEEE Maybe spring has sprung ??? Of course the low for tonight is supposed to be 21F... But heck, that's an improvement over last night :D

SlowPoke
04-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Same here in central NC..
I think the humidity is whats so bad around here in the late summer.. go camping that time of year and its so bad its not enjoyable. We go to the mountains if we do camp to miss the humidity.
randy

All I can say, is bring on the heat and humidity!!! What's the saying..."You can always put on more clothes in the winter..." POPPYCOCK !!!

Strip it down, and run N A K E D!!!! http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73658_0_9c69609b9cf83c22ee965f10399788e7.gif If it's still hot a lil spray goes a long way!

I'll take 110 and 95% Humidity, ANYTIME!

Cougarfamily
04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Cougarfamily, that's a shame about the wax. But I really like both your Cougar and your truck, awesome vehicles!

Kevin

It is all good. According to the forecast, it should be taking a shower Tuesday. You also have an awesome vehicle combination! I haven't had the chance to drive a 6.7 CTD, but we were happy with our '06 5.9.

Cougarfamily
04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
All I can say, is bring on the heat and humidity!!! What's the saying..."You can always put on more clothes in the winter..." POPPYCOCK !!!

Strip it down, and run N A K E D!!!! http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73675_0_9c69609b9cf83c22ee965f10399788e7.gif If it's still hot a lil spray goes a long way!

I'll take 110 and 95% Humidity, ANYTIME!

You're not serious, I hope! If you like the heat so much, then I guess you would do well in Phoenix or Tuscon. At least there, you wouldn't have the humidity. :)

SlowPoke
04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
If you're ever up my way, and ya see someone streaking through the campground, IT MIGHT JUST BE ME! roflmbo!

Seriously though, I have considered what you say, but wanna visit there before considering staying permanently....

iamrwnut
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
I have lived in San Diego, Hawaii, Mississippi, Va Beach Va, and all over southern/Mid Michigan. San Diego has great weather year round (60-80 degF) but too expensive, Hawaii is awesome but isolated, Miss very hot and humid in the summer, Michigan 2 weeks of summer and Va, to me, was perfect. Winter starts after Thanksgiving, Golfing mid February, long warm spring, short hot/humid summer, long beautiful fall with color in the trees for a month. In Michigan, when the leaves change to their beautiful fall colors, a strong storm IS coming that will soak the leaves and the wind will strip them bare. So, long story short, souther Va to northern Ga is my sweet spot. Retirement is only 14 years away!!!

Festus2
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
There seems to be a pattern developing on the forum found in many of the posts from our Michigan members. If you read through all of their posts, you will find the "S" word -----SNOW! :eek:

Even at this late date, these folks are still shoveling or hanging around waiting for the white stuff to melt. I detect a sense of isolation amongst them as if they are living alone inside a glass bubble that has its own climate.

Their existence reminds me of this short story by Ray Bradbury, "All Summer in a Day". For those not familiar, it is about a group of school children, who for one day of the year, get to experience summer.

Come to think of it, I think the setting of this story is somewhere in Michigan.

Is it really that bad there? :(

JRTJH
04-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Festus,

In and around Marquette, they say there's 11 months of winter and 1 month of bad sledding (that's snowmobiles, BTW). Funeral homes stop cemetary services in December and inter those people in May/June when the ground thaws. It's too cold to dig graves, so yeah, Michigan is "a whole 'nother country" in ways far different than Texas. :cool: about 75 miles north of us (as the crow flies) they had 6" of snow this past week.

Last year in mid March, we had a big melt and there was virtually no snow on April first. We had an unusually hot summer and it got up to 85 for several days in a row <LOL>. This year, we've still got about 3' of snow/ice in the back yard (where I piled it from clearing the pole barn concrete apron.

3 years ago, the big family camping trip at Higgins Lake (30 miles south of our home) we sat around in sweats and coats with a bonfire for the 4th of July. And, NO we didn't even put the boats in the water that year. It was too cold to go skiing and tubing. I'm hoping this year won't be a repeat of that one, a high of 45 on July 4th just isn't "fair" :(

We were downstate today, at West Branch the snow was gone and south of there, the fields were clear and many were plowed, North of West Branch, there's still ice and snow in the ditches, many of the fields are holding water because the ground is frozen and there's no absorption. I tried to move dirt around the new pole barn yesterday and about 6" under the mud is ice about 2ft thick, so without dynomite, that project is on hold LOL

It was 76 in Midland today, 100 miles north the high is 58 and 75 miles north of us it's 40. I'd not even want to think of the temps in Thunder Bay, Ontario right now. Maybe that's why all the ducks and geese are overcrowding our lake????? With the airline slowdown, they can't get clearance either due to the hazardous landing conditions :banghead:

lightning79
04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Still cold and snowy up here, just below freezing, wet and blowing snow today! Gross!

JRTJH
04-28-2013, 04:28 AM
We had an absolutely beautiful day yesterday, the sun was shining, high was about 6o. I went to town without a coat for the first time since last September. Of course, it was in the back seat of the truck, just in case. :)

Today is supposed to be another great day. I called about bringing home the trailer, the guy that unlocks the warehouse can't make it today, so tomorrow we should have the trailer home. FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if the ground would only thaw enough to move dirt :rolleyes:

It looks like spring has finally sprung in northern Michigan :thewave:

Festus2
04-28-2013, 06:37 AM
JRTJH

Mmmmm In a previous post, I mentioned (tongue in cheek) ;) that the first day of Spring in Michigan is May 1st. Seems like I was wrong and it has arrived 2 days earlier than predicted.

:bdance: Is this you doing the Banana Dance?

Enjoy and be happy.

JRTJH
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
A "friend" (I use the term very loosely with him) sent me this picture. He has a habit of rubbing it in every chance he gets.... Yes, he is from the UP, but he lives in Hawaii and more times than not, seems to enjoy making sure I know how "WARM" it is there. I suppose I could remind him that the islands are really too small for an RV, so maybe he's not in paradise after all LOL

Anyway, I've never seen this happen in the Upper Harbor at Marquette, but it is the home of NMU, and college kids will do most anything, so it wouldn't suprise me to see something like this up there.

MarkS
04-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Sigh, another foot is on it's way. Where is global warming when you need it?

SAABDOCTOR
04-30-2013, 07:09 AM
But it's a dry heat!! yeh right hot is hot i'll take the cold any day! just don't need the WHITE STUFF!

iamrwnut
04-30-2013, 02:38 PM
WooHoo!! 75 degf, trailer in the Drive Way. YAY. Water pressure check good to go.... Hot Water good to go...... Furnace good to go..... Beer cooler (Fridge) good to go.... Tanks holding water good to go.... :) I LOVE warm weather.....

mikell
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
I have recently found keeping carbonated beverages in the fridge on long trips is not such a good thing flavor wise. I now use an ice chest for such things not to mention the cans leave rings on the shelves after only few hundred miles. The old Ice chest is still mans second best friend

CUFFS054
04-30-2013, 03:32 PM
We had a kinda mild winter in mid to south GA. BUT we went from drought conditions for years to a surplus rainfall of 10" so far this year and I swear it's all been on the weekends. Oh yeah, rain predicted for this upcoming weekend!