PDA

View Full Version : Permenantly mounting levels

Big old prankster
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I bought some stick on levels to assist when leveling the camper. Unfortunely they were pretty much useless when I got to the campgrounds and figured out after 10 minutes of trying to level when I realized the double stick tape allowed the levels to move from the wind during traveling. What would the suggestions be to per mantle mount to the trailer?

I was thinking fairly short length screws with silicone applied to seal? Good thought or bad? My sidewalks are fiberglass (Passport 2510RB) Thanks in advance for replies. I did a quick search in different forums but could not find any previous posts.

Festus2
04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
If you are going to permanently mount your levels, I would first take time to ensure that your rig is level and then invest in a pair of good quality levels. Many of the stick on variety aren't all that great when it comes to quality.

Using sealant with short screws is a good idea.

In addition to levels fastened to your RV, have you thought about buying a short 10-12 inch carpenters level as an alternate method of determining how level you are. I have one and use it all the time. Place it on the floor, on the bumper, and on the counter......just part of my set up routine.

iamrwnut
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I have an Iphone and use the level app that is in the phone. I have had great luck with that.

davidjsimons
04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
In addition to levels fastened to your RV, have you thought about buying a short 10-12 inch carpenters level as an alternate method of determining how level you are. I have one and use it all the time. Place it on the floor, on the bumper, and on the counter......just part of my set up routine.
I carry a 36" level and open my side pass through hatch to use as my check as well as my rear hatch to check side to side. Seems to work fairly well. I had a pair of stick ons that did not last very long at all. Don't waste your money on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f6bits
04-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I didn't use the double-stick tape that came with it. I used 3M body moulding tape instead. That'll hold them suckers.

GaryWT
04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I would guess that the short screws would not be an issue but I would not do it to my TT. I use a 2 foot level that replaced an old 6 inch level. Generally just put it on the floor. I eyeball it first and then check the level when I feel it is close

Laredo291OH
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
You might try one of these http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Hopkins/HM09715.html I on my current camper and had one on my previous camper. It mounts to the tongue right at the jack so you can see what is going on as you unhitch. It also tells you how much to shim from side to side and which side to shim.

Big old prankster
04-18-2013, 05:54 PM
At Festus2 - I am pretty blessed that my driveway is level side to side and all I need to do is raise my tongue a little after unhitching. I also carry a couple of 6" levels currently to verify.

At iamrwnut - I have that app also but never thought about using till you mentioned.

At davidjsimons - I have the front pass through but it is full. Could find a place for the 36" level though and use to check floor, counter, etc.

At f6bits - didn't have a choice, the tape was already stuck to the levels. Just seems the tape is so thick and spongy it allows the wind to move them. I guess I could strip the old tape and use the 3M brand.

GaryWT - I guess to each their own. Thanks for the suggestion.

Laredo291OH - I like your link, thanks.

Thank you all for the quick comments.

f6bits
04-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Yep, my first attempt was with the spongy stuff that would twist every which way. One year later, I finally removed the last of the old sticky tape (using 303 protectant).

Having both levels at the front corner of my trailer works best for me so when I'm backing into a spot, I know how many boards I need to use. And when lowering the tongue jack, I know how to set the trailer so it's level front to rear.

My new Barker tongue jack has a bubble level on it, but I don't trust it since its adjusting screws aren't the most rigid attachment.

davidjsimons
04-19-2013, 01:06 AM
At davidjsimons - I have the front pass through but it is full. Could find a place for the 36" level though and use to check floor, counter, etc..

What I actually do is when I open my hatch and pin it in the open position, I lay my level across the bottom edge of the cover, which is on the topside while it is in the open position. Unless the hatches are not mounted correctly, this should be fairly accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidcyndi
04-19-2013, 04:15 AM
we use this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDSSDY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my wife gets in the trailer and puts this in the center of the trailer on the floor and sits there while I level out the TT. Works really well.

Lundy
04-19-2013, 06:57 AM
What I did was level the trailer according to the frig, and then installed my stick on levels using 3m stuff. My first trailer the frig was way off compared to the trailer. When we were level the trailer was a little off, but the frig was perfect. (This was old school thinking, back in the days when the frig had to be perfect) My new trailer they are almost perfect so it didn't matter, level trailer = level frig.

Bugle Boy
04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I have 3 or 4 levels of various sizes that I have picked up at garage szles. I put one on the hitch, one in the middle of the floor and one on the rear bumper. This works great.

But, I kind of like that Camco round dingus.

JRTJH
04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
That Camco round dingus is the old Dometic refrigerator bubble level. It used to come standard "back when" the refrigerator had to be perfectly level to operate. The instructions used to read to put the level on the freezer floor and that at least 1/2 the bubble had to be inside the small black ring for the refrigerator to work. And "they meant every word" Try to light it with more than 1/2 the bubble out of the black ring and I swear that refrigerator used to turn into a heater LOL

They are much more forgiving now than before. We still have 2 or 3 of those bubble levels, my DW always throws one on the kitchen countertop when we get set up so she can "check my big level" (or maybe so she can check my work???) :eek:

Ayotte
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
I have one of those larger ones mounted on the pin box. This way I can see from the truck how leve I am. and I also have a smaller curved one screwed to the left front side so I can watch it as I raise or lower the front legs.

http://images.dyersonline.com/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/5fe1cd5271a9ac91a6ddab7f467871c6/l/a/largee401.jpg
http://images.dyersonline.com/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/5fe1cd5271a9ac91a6ddab7f467871c6/1/4/14-8079.jpg