PDA

View Full Version : Wingnut Follies

Camper Wayne
04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
When I bought the travel trailer, it was sold with the understanding that the battery was basically toast. It still gave an output, but wasn't strong enought to run the slide-out.

After I got it home, I removed the battery and put a better one off of my old travel trailer on it. Took off the battery cell covers and sure enough, the acid level was quite low. I thought that I might fill the cells and put a battery charger on it and see if it recovers. To hook up the charger, I decided to put the wing nuts back on so there would be an easy place to attach the charger and a multimeter.

Guess what?

It turns out that the wing nut (after the threads fail to start and it falls) will just fit down the open hole and down inside the battery! An attempt to fish it out only resulted in losing sight of it altogether. Oh well...the battery was probably trashed anyway. Thankfully, I have another battery to put on the old travel trailer.

B&T
04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Yes, we all have our moments :)

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
How does that saying go? ..... "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....." Some days it pays NOT to get out of bed.......

jsmith948
04-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Murphy's Law states in part (and Murphy was an optimist): "If anything can go wrong, it will; and at the worst possible moment!"
At least the nut didn't drop into a new battery or while you were on an extended trip:)

crash
04-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Been there done that:banghead:

SAABDOCTOR
04-19-2013, 08:44 AM
at the SAAB aircraft factory in the late fourties. the planes came off the production line without the inspection covers attached. the test pilots would fly them and roll them inverted so all the stuff that got left inside would fall out then they would land and install the inspection covers. so whats one little wing nut?:eek:

Camper Wayne
04-19-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm picturing battery acid everywhere. :D