PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a cold chin?

mguay
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Last month we spent a few weeks in south Florida and had a few nights both down and back that were around 30. Ever since we have owned this 5er I have noticed that in these temps the left side of the bedroom is always freezing. I have always attributed it to the fact that the heat vent is on the other side of the bed. I had a thought once to plumb another vent into the side of the bed slide but there was too much framework in the basement to make it happen. Yesterday we had temps in the upper 50s and I got to tinkering. I completely removed the skin covering the chin area and was amazed at what I found. What I was expecting to find was issues related to frame flex and failed welds that I have seen many pics of. On the contrary, all welds were intact with no cracked paint anywhere. What shocked me was that there wasn't a single piece of insulation from the front cap, throughout the chin all the way down to the main frame rails! I installed 1" foam throughout and sealed it with expanding foam. Hopefully this at least cuts down on the wind blowing threw! I also noticed that there was NO insulation in the front cap...but I wasn't going there. Glacial Package my....

Pmedic4
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
You just have wrong expectation of the definition. I means you be as cold as a Glacier when trying to sleep.

But I'm surprised. Would have thought it would have something, however minimal in all walls.

geo
04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
It's been said many times on the Forum, the Glacier/Arctic/Polar package only means you got an extra sticker next to the door.

If you do a search on any of those "cold" terms, you will find several threads discussing their lack of cold weather protection. In some of my mods to my Alpine, I also found that in the slide side walls there was only R-7 insulation which was "free to sag" within those side walls.

Mguay, I'm not surprised that you found structure and no insulation. Search some of the threads I've started in Mods and Repairs and you will see what I found, or didn't find, in the underbelly and other places in the Alpine.

Ron