PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags or Not

woster
04-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey there,

New Laredo 310 RE 5er behind F250. Trailer rides level but truck squats slightly.

Question is whether or not to install air bags.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Javi
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah... I would

Jables
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Supersprings.

azlee56
04-15-2013, 11:18 AM
The BF got airbags and we both have been really happy with them. The main thing is our landing gear is low and it raised it up so they don't hit the bumps and all that, they were really low. The other thing is when I use the truck to put real heavy stuff (like bricks), it really helps.

SAABDOCTOR
04-15-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones don't need them. But if i did i would want the bags not the springs. that way i can reduce the air and my eyeballs won't bounce so much:dizzy::D when the truck is empty

Poppy's 5th Wheel
04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I agree with the others and would definitely like to see the rear of your truck up. It looks like you're a little "steering light" like that. You'll then have to adjust the hitch so that you can get the trailer level again. Hopefully you still have some adjustment left in your hitch to accommodate that and maintain a good 6 inches between the truck rails and the trailer overhang. I went with the Firestones and on board compressor and love it. Congrats on the rig. It looks awesome!

DJ85
04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Do it you won't reget it. ;)

woster
04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks all for the input.

Question though, if hitch pin is directly over rear axle, how would raising the rear end with air bags help with a "steering light" condition? It certainly doesn't feel like it's "steering light". My memory of college physics says there's no difference if vertical load is applied at the fulcrum. I supposed during acceleration some of that load could be applied radially rearward but by raising the pin above the axle would actually increase that force not lessen it. I might be thinking too hard here.

JRTJH
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Woster,

You're thinking correctly. The only significant thing air bags will do is increase the height of the bed, causing the angle of approach for the front end to be slighlty more horizontal. ie: It will point your headlights down toward the ground rather than up toward the sky. Otherwise, the weight on your rear axle and the transferred weight to the front axle will remain essentially unchanged from your current configuration.

It won't "reduce light steering" but it will make your truck look like it has "less light steering potential"

warsw
04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
I would go with the air bags. I think your rear suspension will love you.

You actually have the rear squatted pretty good. I think the addition of air bags will allow the rear suspension to work better and will enhance the ride and the way the truck handles.

It may feel ok to you now but I will bet you will be impressed how much better it all feels with the air bags.

davidjsimons
04-16-2013, 02:24 AM
I would go with the air bags. I think your rear suspension will love you.

You actually have the rear squatted pretty good. I think the addition of air bags will allow the rear suspension to work better and will enhance the ride and the way the truck handles.

It may feel ok to you now but I will bet you will be impressed how much better it all feels with the air bags.

Ditto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

concours
04-16-2013, 06:07 AM
I have used Firestone Riderite bags for many years both on my Titan with a 26' TT and on our 3500 Sierra HD pulling our Cougar 331MKS. The bags eliminate the squat, stop most of the bounce when driving over dips in the road and help prevent spring sag and dammage as the rear axle load is now taken over six points not four. I run with around 25 psi when loaded and use 2 seperate fill valves, I have never used the auto level kit from firestone as a small portable tire compressor works fine.

Hope that helps:)

IdahoSRT10
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Another one here for air bags!

Raising the rear of your truck higher will increase weight on the front axle ever so slightly. ( physics/ gravity) Picture raising the rear 45 deg. to see the front get heaver, 90 deg and 100% of the weight will on the front axle.

SteveC7010
04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Just got the trailer out of storage. Does anybody think that I should not be adding a set of airbags to the truck?
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_72930_0_845f4735622669a21fbf830dfc03e0d2.jpg

IdahoSRT10
04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Just got the trailer out of storage. Does anybody think that I should not be adding a set of airbags to the truck?
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_72935_0_845f4735622669a21fbf830dfc03e0d2.jpg

Looks like you need to raise the 5th wheel about 2"- 3 ", and truck about 1 1/2". Try leveling both while disconnected then take measurments.

Also looks like you have the snow plow front springs so that raised the front of your truck 2 1/2" over stock. (same as my 250)

I raised my 5er 3" to get bed rail clearance (only way to do it and keep things level)

SteveC7010
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Looks like you need to raise the 5th wheel about 2"- 3 ", and truck about 1 1/2". Try leveling both while disconnected then take measurments.
The fifth wheel is already as high as it can be.

Also looks like you have the snow plow front springs so that raised the front of your truck 2 1/2" over stock. (same as my 250)
Nope, no snow plow package on the truck. It does, however, have the 10K# GVWR option. If you look at the pic in my signature area, the whole thing sits high and level without the trailer.

In the pic, it's not parked on level ground, but the rear end is still clearly squatted a bit more than I'd like. I'll get the tape measure out when the rain stops and start to accumulate some numbers.

IdahoSRT10
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Steve, I raised a friends Cougar 5th wheel and it was rather easy DIY. (2" spring blocks and longer U-bolts)
The pic is my 5th with 2" blocks. I can custom make any height needed but 3" IMO is the max. for safety reasons.

Rear Leaf Spring Drop/Lift Block Kits can be bought @ Jegs or Summit racing

azlee56
04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
I love your truck and rv and do you want to give me the house?!!

CampJKL
04-16-2013, 02:46 PM
+1 for airbags. Even with my dually, I appreciate having the ability to vary the ride depending on my load.

I have the Airlift Loadlifter 5000. Only issue thus far was failure of the one way valve (installed in 2008) which Airlift quickly replaced for free. No questions asked... Customer service is great.

PerryB
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
The airbags are too easy and versitile NOT to install, in my opinion. Firestone #2535. Bolts straight in, no drill.

woster
04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
OK! OK! I'm convinced. Air bags it shall be.

Thanks everybody for the input.

warsw
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Steve, I raised a friends Cougar 5th wheel and it was rather easy DIY. (2" spring blocks and longer U-bolts)
The pic is my 5th with 2" blocks. I can custom make any height needed but 3" IMO is the max. for safety reasons.Where did you get the lift kit? I would like to raise my 5th wheel about 2". Thanks for any info.

SteveC7010
04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
The airbags are too easy and versitile NOT to install, in my opinion. Firestone #2535. Bolts straight in, no drill.

I'm gonna have to drill one hole in the passenger side fifth wheel bracket. Already spent some time in the instructions and looking closely at the frame of the truck. Everything else clears nicely for either the Firestone or Airlift airbags. The Firestones look to be a lot easier to install.

mobile42
04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Well, I decided to give it a try on some Timbrens instead of airbags since 2011 and no issues at all!

rhagfo
04-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Not convinced yet, pulling a 33.5 Copper Canyon that weighs about 11K. We still don't see the need for them. Still not engaging the overloads.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73013_0_bc2533b933d81dff7b7e4cc88b383621.jpg

PerryB
04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
You don't need them Russ. The trucks in question are newer Fords, and they have some pretty noodley (I think I just invented a word) springs under the rear. Makes for a great ride, but sags quite a bit for any given load.

cajun4396
04-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I put airbags on my F150 because the tt put enough weight on the back end that my front end lifted an inch when the leveling chains were drawn in. Truck pulled the tt well but the 'light feeling" in the front end worried me. I dropped the front end 3/4" with the air bags and the truck rides better. Also you can decrease air pressure when not towing... Bada-bing...

pjhansman
04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey there,

New Laredo 310 RE 5er behind F250. Trailer rides level but truck squats slightly.

Question is whether or not to install air bags.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Definately! I have pretty much the identical setup.....and I love my Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Pmedic4
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
I finally used my new airlift bags on my RAM 1500, and it definitely makes a difference. Ride is much smoother, less jerk on bumps. I like the improvement and as Cajun4396 said, you can lower the air pressure when not towing getting back to the nice ride of the coil springs versus the stiffness of leaf springs on 2500/3500 trucks.

gman1966347
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
I personally bought the Timbren's SES, and absolutely love them!!! I have an 2004 6.0 Super Booty and did'nt want to bother with some of the drilling and mounting that may be required with the air bag set up. I have a friend who installed on an f-150 and had some mounting issues. The Timbren bump stops are there when the vehicle gets loaded. When it is unloaded you don't even know that they are there! HIGHLY recommend them. Super easy install. Would buy them again with out even thinking about it! Good Luck!!"bouncey:
http://www.timbren.com/
http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/ford.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GmT2Ek2LI

Randy_K
04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I just installed some Air Lift bags today. I could not see paying a dealer the $200.00 they wanted for a few hour job. No leaks and no parts left over :)

Next weekend i will test them out when i load two motorcycles in the back then go pick up my first ever TT. I figure its best to have the truck loaded they way i will travel when they install & set up the hitch and trailer for me.

Randy

woster
05-06-2013, 07:28 AM
I installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bags on the F250 over the weekend. The job took longer than I expected since I had to first remove the 5th wheel hitch brackets to install the top brackets for the air bags, then reinstall and re-torque everything back down.

Question.....how much air do you run in your bags when empty and when hitched to the 5er? I started with 20 psi to check for leaks but the ride is really rough. I believe the instructions call for 5 psi empty. Just curious what you all keep them at.

Thanks for the input.

IdahoSRT10
05-06-2013, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=woster;76024]I installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bags on the F250 over the weekend. The job took longer than I expected since I had to first remove the 5th wheel hitch brackets to install the top brackets for the air bags, then reinstall and re-torque everything back down.

Question.....how much air do you run in your bags when empty and when hitched to the 5er? I started with 20 psi to check for leaks but the ride is really rough. I believe the instructions call for 5 psi empty. Just curious what you all keep them at.

Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE

I'm running about 6-7 psi empty and the ride isn't affected as far as I can tell. I run about 20-25 psi while towing (w/1700lb pin weight/payload) and it rides smooth. Basically my air bags are used to level the truck and 5er.

The installation height plays a huge factor in bag psi. The top of the bag plate should just kiss the frame with zero psi.