PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

Lost
04-13-2013, 12:05 PM
How many of you take a boat with you camping? My wife and I never go without our boat. It's great... we go fishing in the AM .. back around noon and spend the rest of the day around the camp site talking to great people we meet... A great way to spend our summers "bouncey:

JRTJH
04-13-2013, 12:54 PM
We take the boat if we're going someplace in Michigan where fishing is an option. We don't normally pull it if we're going out of state or if we know there's no place to use it. I don't think we've been to the UP without the boat and fifth wheel in the past 2 years. Prior to that, when the trailer was in warranty, I didn't want to put a hitch on it and risk Keystone refusing to do work if needed, so my wife drove the Escape with the boat behind it and I towed the fifth wheel. I'm glad those days are over.

Depending on where we're camping, we usually get up, have coffee and rolls, etc and fish till around 10 or 11, then come in, have lunch, sit around, relax, visit, etc. Then about 2 hours before dark, we grab a snack and hit the water again until around dusk, if we're catching fish, we stay, if not, we head in. Supper is usually a quick "left over" meal either warmed in the oven, or start the generator and use the microwave. Then adult beverages around the campfire until we're tired. Shower, get some sleep and start again in the morning :)

dandjh1958
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Kayaks! The one caveat my husband has to me camping as much as I want, is that it must have fishing on or near the campsite. I always haul our Hobie kayaks with me even if I don't think I'll go out. He uses them most of the time but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate so they just sit on the truck.

iamrwnut
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
We take the boat if we're going someplace in Michigan where fishing is an option. We don't normally pull it if we're going out of state or if we know there's no place to use it. I don't think we've been to the UP without the boat and fifth wheel in the past 2 years. Prior to that, when the trailer was in warranty, I didn't want to put a hitch on it and risk Keystone refusing to do work if needed, so my wife drove the Escape with the boat behind it and I towed the fifth wheel. I'm glad those days are over.

Depending on where we're camping, we usually get up, have coffee and rolls, etc and fish till around 10 or 11, then come in, have lunch, sit around, relax, visit, etc. Then about 2 hours before dark, we grab a snack and hit the water again until around dusk, if we're catching fish, we stay, if not, we head in. Supper is usually a quick "left over" meal either warmed in the oven, or start the generator and use the microwave. Then adult beverages around the campfire until we're tired. Shower, get some sleep and start again in the morning :)

I wanna go!!!!:cool:

slewis95407
04-14-2013, 06:30 AM
We always take our porta-bote, electric trolling motor and 4hp 4stroke outboard. The bote folded up is carried on top of my TV from cab to front bumper.

SteveC7010
04-14-2013, 07:01 AM
We don't fish, but we do love boating. We spend a lot of time at a large NYS DEC campground up in the northern Adirondacks. Most of the sites are on the water and you can keep your boat right at your site. We usually ski and tube right off shore from the site.

We can't tandem tow in NYS so we bring the Jeep along to tow the boat and for daytripping.
It's a '68 Sea Sprite 16' fiberglass runabout with a 2008 Merc 50 hp two-stroker on it.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_72560_0_298917daed39a8d2cc921958aeffe4bf.jpg

We live in a village right on the Great Sacandaga Lake at the south end of the park
so the boat gets used a lot even at home.

Jables
04-14-2013, 07:54 AM
I have a camping/prawning weekend planned soon. Before the commercial season opens. Boating and fishing are a necessity around here.

lindy46
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
We are also in Michigan and I have a 10' Flatbottom boat that we put in the back of the pickup truck. I made a wheel system for it out of a tot carrier that normally is pulled with a bicycle. I have some ramps and one person can roll it up into the truck bed. I also bring a restored 1967 Johnson 3hp folding outboard that fits in a "suitcase". Perfect for fishing most small/medium sized lakes in Michigan. We've got the first trip of the year scheduled for June 2nd at Silver Lake State Park. Bass and Walleyes will be biting!

hankaye
04-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Howdy All;

I've heard it said many times that the 2 Happiest days of
a Boater's life are the Day they buy it and the Day they Sell it...

Happy former boat owner...

hankaye

Wilkod
04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
I want to get a front receiver hitch so I can put a t bar and carry a 14 foot Jon boat. I have a question; has anyone put a roof rack on a ford f350? I haven't seen one but I assume they are available?

My son loves to fish so I have to find a way to take the boat when we go camping. Thanks!

Jables
04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Nothing beats a calm evening on the water trolling for dinner. Will always have a boat. It'll be the last hobby of mine to die.

slewis95407
04-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Wilkod

I carry my porta-bote from a front receiver to roof rack on my F250 Reg. Cab. I use a Yakima single bar rack. You can purchase different length bars and they are lockable. When not using just remove the roof rack.

Wilkod
04-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks Scott. I'll definitely check that out.

Thanks
Doug

Ken / Claudia
04-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I live on the bank of the Clackamas river near the Willamette river and have had a boat of some kind most of my adult life. For that reason I have had several truck campers and pull the boat behind the truck. We sold the Artic fox camper when purchased the current trailer, now when camping it will involve 2 trips or get a buddy to pull the boat. I love my wife but, cannot get her to pull any trailer etc. I Agree about the owning a boat thing (best day is purchase and sale.) I add to that by saying the BEST boat you have is your buddies boat. Go for a ride and not have to deal with the rest of it.

Little Guy
04-20-2013, 09:29 AM
I am so tired of fishin'. I want to do some catchin'.
:)

JRTJH
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Little Guy,

If you're in Colorado and fishing without catching, head to Steamboat Lake, north of Steamboat Springs. Go down to the southern part of the lake, about 75 to 100 yards from the dam on the NORTH-EAST side of the dam. Patskey's salmon eggs, (red) on a # 8 short shank hook, 4# test mono, as little weight as you can get by with. Cast about 30 ft out, let it sink to the bottom, leave a little bow in the line and when the bow starts moving, set the hook. The limit "back when" was 5 trout and we always had breakfast in 10 or 15 minutes. Last time we were there, fishing was just as good as "back when" (but only in that little area by the dam)

If you're a "purist" head across the highway to Pearl Lake, it's lures only and there is some absolute awsome fishing on the east side of the lake.

If you just want adventure, go north toward Columbine, east on the NP roads to Dead Mexican Park (a 3 or 4 acre clearing) on a plateau, and then on foot, head north on Rose Creek Trail. About half a mile from where you start the trail, you'll see some beaver ponds on the west side of the trail. "Belly crawl" up to them, they are only a couple feet deep, and you can catch all the brookies about 8-12" long that you'd want.

The secret: LIGHT tackle, slow movements and Patskey's..... <wink>

dwayneb236
04-23-2013, 07:17 AM
I want to get a front receiver hitch so I can put a t bar and carry a 14 foot Jon boat. I have a question; has anyone put a roof rack on a ford f350? I haven't seen one but I assume they are available?

My son loves to fish so I have to find a way to take the boat when we go camping. Thanks!

I don't have a 350 but I do have a 150. We just use a Thule rack on ours when we need to carry the kayaks or when we go skiing. Has always worked great.

Bob Landry
04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Howdy All;

I've heard it said many times that the 2 Happiest days of
a Boater's life are the Day they buy it and the Day they Sell it...

Happy former boat owner...

hankaye

I felt the same way about my sailboat, but I now have an 18' G3 CC with a T-top that is a work/fishing boat and love it. There's nothing like a tax-deductible fishing boat..

Ken / Claudia
04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Bob you are lucky to have a boat you love that pays for itself. I was lucky the last 8 years of OSP I got to skipper the patrolboats in PDX. I was glad everyday that the 60 or 70 gals of fuel I used the tax payers took care of not my wallet. My boat I do sometimes use 20 gals a day but, normally only about 10.

cathcartww
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
We do a lot of fishing - but mostly surf fishing - thus the 4x4 van and surf rack. We have been thinking about getting an inflatable for when we travel to the Keys .....

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3A84%3Enu%3D3235%3E537%3E952%3EWSNR CG%3D3383368%3B%3C433%3Anu0mrj