PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

Bob Landry
04-09-2013, 05:00 PM
that the advertising banners that pop up when I'm browsing this forum just happen to be related to products that I have looked at on-line. Just a little too coincidental..

x96mnn
04-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Lol, nope not at all. That is a script which captures your search words and will show related products or exact matches from sponsors.

JRTJH
04-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Bob, I'm seeing the same trend. I think (just my hunch) that if you're using Internet Explorer and/or Yahoo, then the ads you see are monitored in those programs and the ad pop-ups you see here are tailored to those searches done on other programs.

I'm not sure what I "think" is exactly right, but it's happened more than enough times for me to believe that any of it is co-incedential.

I have also noticed on Amazon.com that if I do a search for a product, I get an email a couple of days later suggesting items that are very closely related to the search I did. Such as doing a search for x-chocks and then a couple of days later, I get an email for RV stabilizing products....

labs4life
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Yep. Big brother watching you!!!!

Woo do woo do woo do woo do

davidcyndi
04-09-2013, 05:33 PM
its called cookies

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=internet+cookies

JRTJH
04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Make mine OREO, double stuft if possible :party:

Festus2
04-09-2013, 05:48 PM
A person's browsing habits are not a secret on the Internet. You leave your fingerprints everywhere to everyone.

SAD
04-09-2013, 07:38 PM
A person's browsing habits are not a secret on the Internet. You leave your fingerprints everywhere to everyone.

14 year old boys everywhere are going to be sooooo embarrassed when their parents figure this out.

gepaine
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
It's called "Interest Based Advertising". You can opt out by clicking on the small arrow in the upper right corner of the ad and following the instructions at the "AdChoices" website you are taken to.

You will still get ads. They just won't be interest based. For example, after I opted out, I now seem to be getting location-based ads.

Randy_K
04-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks !

Now my wife is going to blame me or all the " Dating " pop ups :eek:

Randy

SAABDOCTOR
04-10-2013, 04:31 AM
Good thing it is web based. If they realy could get inside my mind what crazy mess that would pop up:eek: scare the poop out of everyone;)

hankaye
04-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Howdy All;

All of my advert's. are local based, but my Verizon
USB drive is programed (?), for the L.A. area ??????
So, I get to see what is being husled in the Big City
while I quietly watch the cactus grow and the 'Dust
Devils' ' go spinning by ..... :rolleyes:

hankaye

hankpage
04-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Whewwww! I only get RV and truck related ads. Maybe I should send another donation to Mozilla. Thank you Fire Fox, Hank :rolleyes: