PDA

View Full Version : Mods for 2013

jje1960
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Finished a couple of mods for this year today. Yesterday, added the high efficiency bedroom air con unit, today the new flat screen in the front storage compartment. Both came out great, the tv mod was an easy deal, the air con install took me like 6hrs and the help of a friend to get the thing on the roof!

chartrand
04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
AC - Did you run the power back to the main fuse panel, or did you run a new line that will plug in separately to the power pedestal in the camp grounds?

TV - So you just open the hatch door and turn on the tv to watch it? Or do you removed it from the hatch to watch?

-Pat

iamrwnut
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I have been thinking about the TV in the storage idea. Did you install a 110 outlet or are you using an extension from a 20 amp plug from the site power?

jje1960
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
The aircon was already wired in the front bedroom, just had to remove the plate and add a 30" piece of romex, there was already a 20amp circuit there with breaker in the main cabin panel. The TV is ready to watch, just pull out on the arm I mounted against the storage wall. I have the Dome on the rig, it's connected to the cable connector in the compartment. There was already a power plug there next to the cable connection, easy day!

fla-gypsy
04-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Nice work on those mods

dave-g
04-17-2013, 01:58 AM
nice-----
what ac unit did you put in the bedroom. I have the same unit and was thinking of a 13,000.
also did you use a low profile unit?

last- does it blow through the duct work or just out the bottom of the ac? If out the bottom, does the duct work still work from the living room ac?

I ask about the ducts because my Honda 3000 gen could not run 2 ac units. so when dry camping I would run just one ac. But do not want to loose ac in the bed room.

JimboII
04-20-2013, 03:40 PM
nice-----
what ac unit did you put in the bedroom. I have the same unit and was thinking of a 13,000.
also did you use a low profile unit?

last- does it blow through the duct work or just out the bottom of the ac? If out the bottom, does the duct work still work from the living room ac?

I ask about the ducts because my Honda 3000 gen could not run 2 ac units. so when dry camping I would run just one ac. But do not want to loose ac in the bed room.
Did you ever get an answer ?

jje1960
04-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey guys, sorry for late reply... Trying to get ready for Richmond and the rest of the season! I went with Dometic High efficiency unit from Camping World. I originally thought I was going with a Coleman unit, however this unit I went with is just way above the stats for running on genset. It's a 13.5K unit that believe it or not runs on just over 8amps. It's full size, does not connect into the ducting. It does not run off an external thermostat, uses the controls on the unit and the fan stays on per setting. We use a Boliy, the Honda will run this unit no problem for extended periods of time. When we do Bristol in August, I can run the 15K main unit, however excessive fuel usage is prohibitive. For years, we have used a portable 7.5K in the garage area and kept it cool all day if we wanted to cool off, however my wife enjoys a nap and now this new unit will cool the bedroom/bathroom without problem. Also, we do 2 weeks in Myrtle Beach every July at Ocean Lakes, last year the main unit and the portable just could not keep up with mid-day sun. With this additional bedroom unit, I don't believe there will be any problems! I think I paid about $850.00 for everything at Camping World, installed it on a Saturday here at the house. The SRX is pre-wired for front aircon, just remove the existing vent setup, place the unit, drill a hole through the 14X frame to get to the pre-wire box, and finish connections. If you have someone to assist getting the unit on the roof, you're good to go without that much trouble. Note, you will need an extra 30" or so of Romex to wire to the pre-wire box.

SAD
04-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Make your bed!