PDA

View Full Version : Running the frig while towing?

grhertzy
04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
We're taking our new Outback 316RL out for our first camping trip this coming weekend. We're only going about 1 1/2 hours away. Do any of you run your frig while towing? Or is that not advised?

Also, anyone else out there who has the same model?

Thanks.

Jerry

raytronx
04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Many people will run with propane on for the fridge. My personal preference is to have the propane off when traveling unless it is super hot out and I'm going to be traveling for many hours. Most of our travel days are under 4 hours and the fridge stays cold even with the propane off, they are very well sealed units just like the ice chests everyone uses for tent camping.

I'm just not a fan of driving into a fuel stop with an open flame burning and possible spark igniter going off, although in the real world I know it happens all the time and very few problems arise.

Ray

PS. I travel full time so my fridge and food is always very cool when I leave unlike a weekend user who may need to have it on to keep cooling food that is not quite as cold.

gepaine
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Driving with the refrigerator on propane doesn't mean you have to pull up to the pump with an open flame. We enter the fuel stop, turn off the refrigerator before pulling up to the pumps, fuel up, pull away from pumps and turn on refrigerator before leaving station. It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but it works for us.

Dhuhn
04-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most new refrigerators run on 3 sources so if your not plug in or you propane is off doesn't the battery's take over so you can turn your propane off while traveling.

86GT2r
04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't know why the refrigerator manufacturers' don't have a 12v operating mode. When I had a pop up, you could travel using 12 volts to keep it cool. It wasn't as efficient as LP or 120v, but worked ok.

raytronx
04-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Driving with the refrigerator on propane doesn't mean you have to pull up to the pump with an open flame. We enter the fuel stop, turn off the refrigerator before pulling up to the pumps, fuel up, pull away from pumps and turn on refrigerator before leaving station. It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but it works for us.

ya, for me it's mostly the hassle factor, one more thing I don't need to worry about for fuel stops and if in an accident. Like I said if it comes down to food going bad I do run the fridge while driving, just most times it doesn't make a difference to my cooling temp.

raytronx
04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't know why the refrigerator manufacturers' don't have a 12v operating mode. When I had a pop up, you could travel using 12 volts to keep it cool. It wasn't as efficient as LP or 120v, but worked ok.

I think because the bigger fridges now would need more juice and the wires need to be heavy for the extra current draw, plus the batteries are usually a long way from the fridge and the extra cost. Nowadays people use an inverter instead.

Dhuhn
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I think because the bigger fridges now would need more juice and the wires need to be heavy for the extra current draw, plus the batteries are usually a long way from the fridge and the extra cost. Nowadays people use an inverter instead.

I stand corrected from my previous quote, we had a smaller truck camper before our 5th wheel which had a small refrigerator it ran on AC, dc, lp. It makes sense that the bigger units need more power to operate thus only using AC and LP.

JRTJH
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I stand corrected from my previous quote, we had a smaller truck camper before our 5th wheel which had a small refrigerator it ran on AC, dc, lp. It makes sense that the bigger units need more power to operate thus only using AC and LP.

We also had a 3way reefer in our popup truck camper. It was a 2.8cuft model. It ran on 12VDC/120VAC/Propane. We used DC while travelling, when stopped at McD's or a fuel stop, it was OK, bit if stopped for an afternoon of sightseeing, it would run the battery down. Total time from full charge to "dim lights" was about 3 hours. So, even though it was an option on a small reefer, it was a real battery killer. I wouldn't want to even run it while driving on a reefer the size of the one in my fifth wheel.

Javi
04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I light my fridge the night before we are to leave and we put the food in it the morning of.... the fridge is never cut off until we unload it back at home... It stays on automatic and when we hook to shore power it switches from propane to 110...

We don't have any tunnel or ferries to traverse and I rarely have to stop for fuel.... even if I did I wouldn't worry as I'm running a diesel and the fridge is about 25 feet away and on the off side of the trailer...

If for some reason I did use the ferry to Port Aransas, I'd just switch it off for the ride across the channel then back on at the first safe pull out...

blackty
04-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Always did...Jim

iamrwnut
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
We run our fridge on auto so when I unhook from the residence until I plug in at the campground I am on propane. Never thought or read about turning the unit off while re-fueling. I need to remember to turn it off when I refuel. It is quite far away from the fuel hose so never worried about it. Another lesson learned here.

SAD
04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Fridge on auto 99.99% of the time. Even when refueling due to pretty much only using diesel pumps and the distance from the pump. AND the constant 20 mph winds in OK.

1x I did go in and turn the fridge off due to the very still conditions and the strong smell of propane - was at a Flying J with the large proane storage tanks nearby.

grhertzy
04-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks to all for your input. I won't be re-fueling on this trip, so will light it before we leave and shut down after our return. It's a Dometic 2-way so it's either propane or AC.

Looking forward to our "shake-down" trip.

Jerry

FlyingBelle
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
I asked the same question at the dealer last weekend.

He recommended if we are plugged in, to run the fridge for a day or so, so it gets cold. Then load up the fridge with our food and run it off propane while we travel. Because it's already dropped in temp, it wont take much propane to keep it cold.

Haven't tried it yet - but just thought I'd add his 2 cents.

Does make me nervous to travel with the propane running - but I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about that stuff anyway!

GaryWT
04-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Our fridge will be turned on soon and will remain on until the fall. It is on auto and runs on propane when we travel. We leave it on all season so we do not have to empty it after each trip. We have yet to re-fuel while traveling, we have only done a couple hundred miles a day so we unhook at a campground before heading for gas. So far so good.

lightning79
04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Although my dealer told me to keep the propane off, most campers I talked to last season said they have the propane on all the time, with the fridge on it. I only drive about 3 hours a day, so I never have to fuel up with the trailer on.

golfpro
08-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I use reusable ice packs. I slide them in between the food in the frig. things stay cold util we stop at night. then I refreeze them over night. I DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THE PROPANE ON.

jamesfamilytx
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
With temps continuously in the 100s this summer in Texas, we've been running the fridge on propane even when traveling 1.5-2 hrs. Ordinarily we'd just turn it off for this short of a trip, but even with a well-insulated fridge that already has been cooled and is full of cold food, it seems to make a difference. And I don't want to take a chance of any temp drop in the fridge when transporting lots of yummy cookout foods!

Beth and Dennis James
Austin, TX
2013 Bullet 248RKS

frano
08-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Our Vantage has a 2 way fridge and we have been running on propane when traveling with no issues. It seems that most new trailers only have a 2 way fridge and I wonder if it's to keep the battery up in case of a break away situation where the brakes are activated by the battery rather than the tow vehicle? Just my thought.

audio1der
08-15-2013, 10:19 AM
He recommended if we are plugged in, to run the fridge for a day or so, so it gets cold. Then load up the fridge with our food and run it off propane while we travel. Because it's already dropped in temp, it wont take much propane to keep it cold.

We've always "jump started our fridge cooling using this method. Fridge stays in Auto mode, searches for 110V and if not, there's the propane.
We've refueled while pulling with the fridge on a number of times; never considered the open flame :eek:

outwest
08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
We've always done the same - electric for a day or two before travel and leave on auto (thus switching over to propane) for travel. That being said, old trailer got the lp lines fouled with some sort of oily substance from place we got propane once and fridge never again worked the same on propane. After that, began putting dry ice in freezer compartment for travel, which worked really well. No prob so far (knock on wood) with running fridge on propane in new trailer while traveling (and use diesel so no worries there). Wouldn't recommend same for hot water heater, though.

golfpro
08-15-2013, 10:22 PM
I do not travel with my propane on. the question comes up about once a week on one forum or the other. I use small reusable ice packs in the frig during traveling times and refreeze them at night. I have seen many fires when I was on the fire dept, 30 years of putting out rv fires and house fires have made me a little more cautious then the average person. in fact if you read posts from rv 101 or rv Dr, neither suggest you do not travel with the gas on at all.

jsmith948
08-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Well, I guess I'm doing this all wrong. One of the reasons we bought an RV was the convenience of having a refrigerator instead of having to use ice chests with the resultant soggy, spoiled or less-than-fresh food. We always operate our fridge on propane while in transit. We ALWAYS turn the fridge off before entering the fueling island. My DS has a class A and she shops for food at every stop rather than use the fridge that came installed in her MH.
I guess to each his own:)

SAD
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
... One of the reasons we bought an RV was the convenience of having a refrigerator instead of having to use ice chests with the resultant soggy, spoiled or less-than-fresh food. We always operate our fridge on propane while in transit...

this this this this this ^^

Javi
08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Have never worried about the propane running the fridge while towing, I light the fridge the day before we leave, load up the food, beer and ice for the whisky and go.

Since the diesel fill port is far from the fridge I ain't scared. :D

Randy_K
08-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Have never worried about the propane running the fridge while towing, I light the fridge the day before we leave, load up the food, beer and ice for the whisky and go.

Since the diesel fill port is far from the fridge I ain't scared. :D

Whisky you say,,, here we go again :D

We have our trailer plugged in at home. Turn on the fridge a day before we go and let it switch to propane on its own when we head out. Not having to buy ice and pack a cooler is one of the reasons for the TT.

lightning79
08-17-2013, 11:45 AM
My favourite one about leaving things running was when a couple told me last year that friends of theirs would light the oven, pop in a roast and then hit the road, so that when they got to their destination, the roast was done!

JRTJH
08-17-2013, 01:11 PM
We used to do that with baked potatoes on the manifold, but never with a roast in a pan in the oven. With our rear kitchen, I could easily see the roast being somewhere between the bathroom and the rear wall <YIKES>

michol02
08-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Never thought of turning off propane while refueling. :rolleyes: Glad I read this thread. The only time I turn off the propane is when we get on a ferry(think its a law). We camp often, so the frig stays on and full of stuff 24/7. When Friday evening comes, we just load a few perishables, medication, and the dogs(everything else is already in there). I keep it set up at the house like we're camping(it's my "Man Cave" during the week). :p

suza
08-19-2013, 02:23 PM
We used to do that with baked potatoes on the manifold, but never with a roast in a pan in the oven. With our rear kitchen, I could easily see the roast being somewhere between the bathroom and the rear wall <YIKES>

As another RKS owner, I agree :eek: I don't enjoy cleaning up messes!

Outbackmel
08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
3 years towing and use propane refer when traveling and switch to electric when stopped. My unit has an automatic switch. Requires no manual intervention.

By the way, just a question: you do understand the slide mechanism in the refer box that is adjustable for desired temp, right? I say that only because our refer is PACKED when we travel and have no, nada, none temperature variance. Actually one of the best parts of the RV. Maybe because Keystone does not make it ;)

suza
08-19-2013, 07:51 PM
3 years towing and use propane refer when traveling and switch to electric when stopped. My unit has an automatic switch. Requires no manual intervention.

By the way, just a question: you do understand the slide mechanism in the refer box that is adjustable for desired temp, right? I say that only because our refer is PACKED when we travel and have no, nada, none temperature variance. Actually one of the best parts of the RV. Maybe because Keystone does not make it ;)

I made a label with my label printer for the inside wall of the fridge and marked a scale so I know about where to set the temp control. I find it depends on how full the fridge is, if there is frozen food/ice in the freezer and whether it is running on elec or propane. Anyway, the tape guide comes in handy. I also find the control seems to work its way down during transport.

I love the fridge. A step up from the old one in our mid 90's Nash :)

Msemma
08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I just purchased the 316 RL in July , we ran it on propane on our first trip out worked fine .

Hansel
09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
I've read everyones reply, I want too do whatever is the safest way too travel. My first question is, has anyone ever heard or seen where someones trailer caused an issue (fire) while at a fueling station??Most of my travels are within a few hours and I've always used the auto setting which it switches too gas when I'm not hooked into electric. The last 2 trips have been where I've need to fill up (diesel) and never even thought about the frig being on and running on gas, now that I think about it how remote is the chance of a fire from vapors at the filling station?? My fuel tank fill is on the drivers side and the frig is 10-15ft away and on the other side. I'm more concerned that a gas line would fail while driving down the road, then the frig starting a fire while fueling up.

suza
09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Just returned from a trip with our cousin and his wife towing along with us. He was appalled that we run our fridge while towing (he is extremely cautious in everything he does!). He was more concerned about the pilot light going out during transit. Any comments in this regard?

MarkS
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
If the refrig flame goes out, it will try to restart several times. If it can't, it turns on the check light. I have had this happen on very windy days driving across Kansas. You just have to remember to look at the light when you stop to turn the refrig back on.

suza
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
If the refrig flame goes out, it will try to restart several times. If it can't, it turns on the check light. I have had this happen on very windy days driving across Kansas. You just have to remember to look at the light when you stop to turn the refrig back on.

I think our cousin's concern was that, in the event the pilot light blows out, propane will still be flowing and could build up enough to be dangerous. Is he correct, or just too paranoid?

hankpage
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
There is no pilot .... it is electronic ignition. As mentioned, if the flame goes out it will try to relight a few times and if it does not the gas is shut off until you reset on the control panel. The flame is so small and the area is well vented that the danger of gas build-up is extremely slim even with ideal conditions. The simple solution for someone who is paranoid is to shut it off while traveling .... many folks do ..... many don't. It's one of our choices in life.:rolleyes:

suza
09-13-2013, 01:04 PM
There is no pilot .... it is electronic ignition. As mentioned, if the flame goes out it will try to relight a few times and if it does not the gas is shut off until you reset on the control panel. The flame is so small and the area is well vented that the danger of gas build-up is extremely slim even with ideal conditions. The simple solution for someone who is paranoid is to shut it off while traveling .... many folks do ..... many don't. It's one of our choices in life.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Hank. Now I feel much better. We are one of those folks who "do" ;)

curlyfungirl
09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
We're taking our new Outback 316RL out for our first camping trip this coming weekend. We're only going about 1 1/2 hours away. Do any of you run your frig while towing? Or is that not advised?

Also, anyone else out there who has the same model?

Thanks.

Jerry

We had our running full time while we were on our three week adventure. I had a lot of food in the double fridge and did not want to take a chance on loosing any of it.

We were lucky and did not blow up at any of our fuel stops.

outwest
09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I've read everyones reply, I want too do whatever is the safest way too travel. My first question is, has anyone ever heard or seen where someones trailer caused an issue (fire) while at a fueling station??Most of my travels are within a few hours and I've always used the auto setting which it switches too gas when I'm not hooked into electric. The last 2 trips have been where I've need to fill up (diesel) and never even thought about the frig being on and running on gas, now that I think about it how remote is the chance of a fire from vapors at the filling station?? My fuel tank fill is on the drivers side and the frig is 10-15ft away and on the other side. I'm more concerned that a gas line would fail while driving down the road, then the frig starting a fire while fueling up.
If it helps, with gasoline the vapors readily ignite. With diesel it's much more difficult to get the vapors to ignite. So as long as you are filling up with diesel and nowhere near a gasoline pump I don't see that there would be an issue.

golfpro
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
all the professionals will tell you not to travel with the frig running. I will tell you the same thing. I fought fires for 30 years and have seen many fires due to frig's. one was at a gas station, the MH owner thought he had the frig off , he pulled in and turned a switch, and processed to gs up the MH. as it turned out he only turned off the propane and not the frig. the frig would send out a spark to ignite and the igniter is what ignited the gas fumes and blew things up. burned up a UPS truck next to it too. a very large propane filling tank sat near by but we got water on it before it blew too. it was one of the scariest fires I've ever been on and I can say since then I have traveled without the frig on. I use the reusable ice packs in the frig while traveling and refreeze them at night when camping. back in my navy days they used to tell us that gun accidnet rules were written in blood. meaning we learned from other peoples mistakes and stupidity.

suza
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
We have found, with reusable ice packs in the freezer, the fridge will stay within safe temps for quite a while. Once, when boondocking, we lost battery power during the night and the fridge wouldn't run, it stayed below 40 degrees for 6 hrs (not opening the fridge/freezer door) until we got hooked up and on the road with tow vehicle power. Good insurance to have those cold packs in the freezer, if you have room. They also come in handy for first aid and for packing a lunch for a day trip away from the RV.

bmach
10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
With vapor recovery systems on fuel pumps and built into cars are there even enough vapors to ignite?

When refueling a car stopped behind you while you using the pump is closer than your fridge in the trailer. So is there really a danger?