PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Mistake......

chris199
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Took the cover off the trailer this week. (Had our dealer do end of year maintenance, put cover on, and put in storage.) Discovered the fridge closed....opened it up and wow...stench. we forgot to take some things out of the drawers and wow did they rot in there over the winter. At one moment I was upset the fridge was closed but was instantly grateful the smell was contained.

Now to figure out how to get the smell out of the plastic in the fridge and door trays. Took what I could get out and washed it it hot soapy water. Used Lysol wipes in fridge...walls, wire racks, etc.

Plastic tray, drawers, and door trays still have the smell. Will leave outside...maybe some fresh air and sun will help.

Any ideas how to get the smell out of the plastic?

Still wondering how I let it happen. Im usually checking, double checking, and triple checking things......dumb mistake!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Jay D
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
try using a box of baking soda

chris199
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks! Yup...there's a box in the fridge now....

labs4life
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Mistakes happen, that is what makes us human. Try baking soda in the box. I have used in freezer instances where a breaker failed or I goofed. Once I had a freezer get warm with 2 deer and 2 turkeys in there. Put in the baking soda turned back on and in a few days it was ok.

I wanted to throw away the freezer at first!!!!

JRTJH
04-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Take a tupperware container, put a cup of fresh (NOT PERKED) coffee grounds and 4 charcoal briquettes in it, set it in the reefer beside that box of baking soda. In just a day or two, (assuming you cleaned and thoroughly wiped down the inside of the refrigerator) it'll smell like new.

SteveC7010
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
The open container of baking soda in each compartment will help. You'll probably have to have one in there for the whole season, and maybe over next winter as well. You can hurry the process along a bit by wiping out the compartments every day or two with the sanitizing wipes. (I prefer the Clorox ones because they contain bleach.)

One of the things we've always done when winterizing the trailer is to prop the doors of the fridge open. Even if there's nothing in there, mold or mildew will develop over the winter.

The new Dometics come with a little plastic thingie that is designed to fit over the door latches and hold them open just an inch or so.

It looks like this:
http://www.anyrvparts.com/Image/11605.jpg

and is used like this:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/5921306219_0c379a9f9e_o.jpg

If you don't have them, they're available at any RV dealer, on Ebay, and other online sources, too.

35mastr
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Put a bunch of dryer sheets in there.

fla-gypsy
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Baking soda, charcoal, and coffee grounds will all help after you thoroughly clean it.

KanTC
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
X3 on the fresh coffee. As a matter of fact, if it were me, I'd also sprinkle some fresh coffee inside
the clear plastic storage bins and close the door for a couple of days! Just my 2 cents, of course ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

hankaye
04-07-2013, 06:24 AM
chris199, Howdy;

Nothing beats the smell of rotten meat renderings that has been
sitting in the hot sun for over a week in a 48' trailer in 24, 4'X4'X4'
tri-wall boxes. It was headed to a dog food factory
We just opened the doors and scattered 3#'s of coffee around
inside and a week later ... it was ok to enter once again.
Let it (coffee grounds), lay upon the surface so it can absorb the
odors from the plastic.

Can't beat coffee for odor removal.

hankaye

Bushman512000
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Coffee in a fry pan will remove the smell of a dead body also just roast the coffee grinds as if You are cooking them. Dead mice smell real bad also . Just My 2cents Bushman

davidjsimons
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
chris199, Howdy;

Nothing beats the smell of rotten meat renderings that has been
sitting in the hot sun for over a week in a 48' trailer in 24, 4'X4'X4'
tri-wall boxes. It was headed to a dog food factory
We just opened the doors and scattered 3#'s of coffee around
inside and a week later ... it was ok to enter once again.
Let it (coffee grounds), lay upon the surface so it can absorb the
odors from the plastic.

Can't beat coffee for odor removal.

hankaye

X2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris199
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Hey y'all....coffee worked! Left a bowl in the fridge and one in the freezer with a bowl of baking soda for 2 days. Worked like a champ! Thanks! :thumbup:

Next thread: How to get the smell of coffee out of my fridge?!? :D

KanTC
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey y'all....coffee worked! Left a bowl in the fridge and one in the freezer with a bowl of baking soda for 2 days. Worked like a champ! Thanks! :thumbup:

Next thread: How to get the smell of coffee out of my fridge?!? :D

:rofl: Chris! Take your pick..... fresh coffee aroma -OR- essence of barnyard?? ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

SAABDOCTOR
04-18-2013, 05:59 AM
HEY TO REMOVE THE COFFEE SMELL, TRY SOME ROTTED MEAT:D I THINK WAIT I KNOW IT'S TIME HERE IT COMES...... WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE. OK MY JOB HERE IS DONE(tx)

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 07:54 AM
barney, Barney, BARNEY What are we going to do with you?????

chris199
04-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Seriously..thanks for the advice! Worked like a charm!

W.E.BGood
04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I've learned something...coffee, I love it! I was going to suggest wiping the areas with brown vinegar, followed by Castrol Superclean spray. The Castrol smells REALLY strong and powerful, but it's actually pretty mild on affecting even things like good clothes fabric (when diluted).

BulletOwner1
05-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Quick question; when using coffee/baking soda/etc. do you have the frig on or off?

hankaye
05-10-2013, 02:36 PM
BulletOwner1, Howdy;

My personal preference is to leave the fridge OFF .
Cooler temps may cause the surfaces to 'tighten-up'
(Cold temps. make things contract), so IMO if it's warm
it may allow the odors to release more easily ...

hankaye

mrmojo
05-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Are you using instant coffee of reg. coffee grounds?

SteveC7010
05-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Are you using instant coffee of reg. coffee grounds?
Regular grounds. Instant coffee has none of the fibers, etc. so it can not absorb odors.

hankaye
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
mrmojo, Howdy;

Regular, nothing fancy.

hankaye

chris199
05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
We used regular coffee with the fridge off. Then used baking soda continually for a few weeks....fridge on and off over that timeframe.

Coffee smell now gone as well.

Thanks again for the sage advice!

Chris

joeyb
05-24-2013, 11:47 AM
In the field of major appliances, I've seen this a lot - mostly condos on beach when power was lost/shut off and were left vacant. Find a appliance wholesale warehouse and pick up an enzyme spray can be for smelly disposals also. (Johnstone Supply) should sell to you. This was truck stock for me and I can not remember the who made it. Spray it on the cabinet liner and respray every 24hrs for a week, wiping up any puddling at bottom. Hopefully It did not permeate the plastic liner/insulation. Good luck, I know it get nasty. It was always amazing to me what grows from food products in a sealed cabinet.