PDA

View Full Version : Parking mod

cabinfever
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Was finally able to get the driveway expanded for TT parking. Was the first time since we brought it home that we were able to open the outdoor kitchen and awning. Three weeks until our maiden trip. Cant wait! "bouncey:

labs4life
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Good deal. Looks great and that is very helpful for packing!!

RGRTim
04-05-2013, 03:47 AM
I wish we could do something like that and keep the 5er parked at the house full time. HOA wont allow it.

inspecterbake
04-05-2013, 04:39 AM
That's the reason I would never live in an HOA my property not yours.

iamrwnut
04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Very nice. When we buy our next house we will put in a pad and would really like a pole barn to put the trailer in.

JRTJH
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM
iamrwnut,

We just built our second pole barn this year. The first one was on the property when we bought it and it was only 10' high, so the fifth wheel wouldn't fit. The new one is built specifically for the snowmobile trailer, the boat and trailer and the fifth wheel. We found that building 13' tall costs the same as building 14' tall, so when you start looking at the potential to build, make sure you look closely at whether you want to build "now" for the future potential of having a fifth wheel :)

I'm working on building the drive and leveling the ground around the building as soon as the snow melts, till then, it's just stare at it and wish I could get started on what I need to do. Anyway, if you're serious about a pole barn, look closely at all your options before you decide on what fits your needs best.

iamrwnut
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
JRJTH,

Thanks for the advice. You never know when a 5er is in your future. :)
14' and large enough for all the toys. check.

audio1der
04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow- that's dedication!!
I'm jealous that you not only have space, but such a great space. Here in suburbia hell, we have no back alley, a short inclined driveway and only 29" of lawn between our driveway and the next. Just parking to load up for the next trip will block half our driveway.

byrdr1
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
iamrwnut,

We just built our second pole barn this year. The first one was on the property when we bought it and it was only 10' high, so the fifth wheel wouldn't fit. The new one is built specifically for the snowmobile trailer, the boat and trailer and the fifth wheel. We found that building 13' tall costs the same as building 14' tall, so when you start looking at the potential to build, make sure you look closely at whether you want to build "now" for the future potential of having a fifth wheel :)

I'm working on building the drive and leveling the ground around the building as soon as the snow melts, till then, it's just stare at it and wish I could get started on what I need to do. Anyway, if you're serious about a pole barn, look closely at all your options before you decide on what fits your needs best.
A Picture of your new pole barn would be nice :)
randy

JRTJH
04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
A Picture of your new pole barn would be nice :)
randy

Here you go. Since the ground is just now thawing and there's still about a foot of snow on the ground, I haven't yet been able to complete the inside of the pole barn floor and the drive. I'm planning to use crushed limestone about 4" thick and compacted inside and outside after I get the fill dirt level and compacted. Of course, right now, trying to do anything is useless until the ground thaws and dries.

Note the pole barn is 14' tall, the sliding door is 12' x 14' tall. The roll up door is 10' x 10'. I can get my 4 wheelers, the snowmobile trailer and the boat in the rollup door, and when I need to access the fifth wheel, the big sliding door moves over the smaller door. When it's open, I have an opening 12' wide and 14' tall. If I can't "hit that hole" with an 8' wide RV, I need to regroup :p

And, NO, the pole barn is not crooked, I was standing on ice and trying not to slip so the camera wasn't level.

SAABDOCTOR
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
yeh right the barn ain't crooked. nice try:D Nice barn but with all the snow you get you'll still:banghead: on the top of the door! we have no more snow finally but still is way tooooo cold FLARP!:cool:

JRTJH
04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Barney, I had to double check that pix just to make sure, but the trees are slanted just like the barn.... ROFLMBO.

So far this winter, we've had 159 inches of snow, so even with that much, there would still be 9" of the building on top of the snowbank LOL There is more snow predicted later this week, however today, the high was 51, so we're losing it quickly. And as the snow melts and the ground thaws, it's a bigger "muddy mess" than if the ground were completley thawed. The ice 3" down is stopping anything from being absorbed, it's just sitting on the surface making more "GOO" :banghead:

timd3200
04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Hey John Before you put down the crushed limestone. Lay down a layer of Black filter fabric. It will keep the limestone from sinking into the ground and disappearing. We started using it around here and if you put it down 4 inches of rock will hold lots of weight with out degrading.

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Tim, I've heard that more than once. Thanks. I'm thinking that outside the fabric would help, however inside the building, I'm not sure it would do any good. Thoughts?

schwalbach
04-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Here what I did- 50x70 15 foot tall. on one end (50 foot) I have a 22x14 foot door, allows me to back camper next to horse trailer (37 foot) and stay hooked to either one inside, slideouts can come out and have it plumbed with electric to keep plugged in. also on the same end as the big door I have a 8x16 door and work shop / garage for cars, 1/2 width and 1/2 length with loft above for storage heated.

I always pull up to house, clean out from camping trip, wash it and back it inside where it stays until we pull out for a trip, fridge is on, ac if needed and we load all week as time permits, come home from work open door roll up cord and we are off!

I can not imagine leaving the unit sit outside all summer or winter, the sun and rain are too hard on things. Inside I can dry the awing, or anything else I want to do regardless of weather.

Hopefully the picture is viewable

cabinfever
04-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Hey John Before you put down the crushed limestone. Lay down a layer of Black filter fabric. It will keep the limestone from sinking into the ground and disappearing. We started using it around here and if you put it down 4 inches of rock will hold lots of weight with out degrading.

http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/geotextileswoven.....I use the the flat slit film when laying paver sub base or under driveway applications. Don't buy the junk from the home supply stores. Find a landscape supply or similar and buy the good stuff. Will cost more but the performance is great.

byrdr1
04-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Here you go. Since the ground is just now thawing and there's still about a foot of snow on the ground, I haven't yet been able to complete the inside of the pole barn floor and the drive. I'm planning to use crushed limestone about 4" thick and compacted inside and outside after I get the fill dirt level and compacted. Of course, right now, trying to do anything is useless until the ground thaws and dries.

Note the pole barn is 14' tall, the sliding door is 12' x 14' tall. The roll up door is 10' x 10'. I can get my 4 wheelers, the snowmobile trailer and the boat in the rollup door, and when I need to access the fifth wheel, the big sliding door moves over the smaller door. When it's open, I have an opening 12' wide and 14' tall. If I can't "hit that hole" with an 8' wide RV, I need to regroup :p

And, NO, the pole barn is not crooked, I was standing on ice and trying not to slip so the camera wasn't level.
Sweet!!!! I am jealous..of all you guys with these nice pole barns.
Looks great. sorry for the snow and ice..
its just pollen falling around here and lots of it..
randy

JRTJH
04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Randy,

We haven't had any pollen yet. In fact, the trees are just now beginning to get the first signs of budding. There's still 6-8" of snow on the north side of all the slopes, but around the yard, it's pretty much gone (except for the piles where it was cleared from the drives/walkways)

Last night it was 26 and right now it's 34 and light wisps of snowfall. The lake is clear about 3' out from the shore, but lots of rotten ice still floating everywhere else.

As for my pole barn, the sand inside is still frozen, there's a foot of snow drifted around the building and the drive is still all mud. The ground is frozen about 3-4" under the surface so all the snowmelt is standing and just making more mud. Oh well, when it finally warms up, it'll be gone in a couple of days, My only question is, "Which couple of days????" Early July or Early August??? :rolleyes: