PDA

View Full Version : Mrytle Beach

crash
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Just got home from the beach and had a great time.Great weather and just really relaxing.:D:party:

bigracenut
04-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Where did you camp at in Myrtle Beach?

pgboone
04-04-2013, 05:10 AM
We just rolled into oceanlakes last nigt. It was a little chilly but pleasent. But that changed with a new day. Woke up to a loud bang which was the awning on the rv behind us getting ripped off by some very very strong winds. But tomorrow will be better.

E597283
04-04-2013, 06:13 AM
When i was at Pirate Land I asked for a site with my awning facing inland...and even that had my awning flapping around. Need tie downs.

wbatto
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
We have reservations for the week after Memorial Day. We have been to Myrtle but have never taken our RV before. Is there any must take items? We reserved a spot with full hook ups, concrete pad and shelter.

2011 3500 Dodge Longhorn Dully W/ 800 FPT package
2013 381 Fuzion W/Monster Package

pgboone
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
We bought our first camper last year and went to pirateland. We liked it a lot but was told by friends we would find that it looked aged compared to oceanlakes. We then tried ocean lakes. Havent even thought about pirateland since. But that is our preferance a lot of people like piratelands atmosphere. After trying both and not knowing anything about either place before we tried it ourselves we prefer oceanlakes.

crash
04-05-2013, 04:42 AM
We stay at the KOA ,we love it there,We have had problems with taking our harleys to pir land and ocean lakes in the past so we stay away from them.I dont know if you have ever watched the show Myrtle Mannor before but the trailer park(Patrics) is on highway 15 just behind the koa ,you need to go see it they are such nice people,we stopped and talked to Taylor the guy on the show that owns Gus the bulldog and he told us to go get our bully Rebel and come hang and let the dogs play together so we did(our littleman Rebel hob nobbing with a movie star LOL:D)

SlowPoke
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
We just got back Wednesday from Myrtle Beach...Stayed at Pirateland, was windy, and cold except for Monday, and Tuesday got warm enough to hit the beach but NOT the water! We had a great time, left the power awning stowed most of the time. Maiden voyage ,so was checking things out, found some issues, in the process of fixing 'em up. One problem we did have with Pirateland is when checked in, she (at the desk) said we were staying in the "BRAND NEW" site they just completed, we were the first to stay in that since reworking it. She explained it was a pull through, but when I got to it, it was only possible to pull through by entering at the exit road from the circle . Thank goodness there was a full timer there a few sites down that helped me out by guiding me in, as the DW was clueless even after we practiced I don't know how many times... The shelters built on site are IMO a nuisance more than an amenity only due to they tighten up the already tight spots, and make it difficult for people like me to maneuver around them while pulling in, as well as putting out the awning. Otherwise it's a great campground! Friendly people, and even though they were full, it wasn't full of unruly teens or loud really any part of the day or night.

They just opened up a new "Camping Connection" store a mile or so down S Kings Hwy, so we had a great time comparing their stuff to Camping world.

OH, and a word of caution... If you've NEVER been to Myrtle Beach in the OceanLakes/Pirateland area, do yourself a favor, and take 17 to 544 from 501... Don't follow the GPS like I did that took you all the way down to the boardwalk area and the main strip... That was fun trying to dodge the people and traffic through there with a 35ft TT behind me. 544 will bring you out right in front of Ocean Lakes...left at that light takes you to Pirateland in about 1/2 mile. Just a little road construction ATM to deal with, but nothing like the main strip traffic to deal with.

We will be going back again, as soon as we get all the sand out of the new TT...(that may take a little time though LOL)

JRTJH
04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Crash, Seeing that old "unlevel" trailer with the AC sticking out of the front window makes me want to grab a beer, scratch and sit a spell in one of those steel lawn chairs.

Slowpoke. It sounds like you had a fairly good trip even if you did have "issues" with the bikini clad helper (Festus nor I forget much)... As for the sand in your trailer, we carry a box full for those times when we aren't camped at the beach..... <just sayin'> :D

B&T
04-05-2013, 06:16 PM
SlowPoke
That was fun trying to dodge the people and traffic through there with a 35ft TT behind me.

Heh, You should try it during the busy season :) Been there done that!

Yes 544, I should warn you though, that intersection at ocean lakes and be a real congestion nightmare at times. Took me 30 minutes of bumper to bumper one time to get to that left turn to go to Myrtle Beach State Park -- which is a little past your Pirateland.

SlowPoke
04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
JRTJH - The bikini clad helper told me no bikini as cold as it was, more of a sweat pants and hoodie time....lol

B&T - You're kinda right, but I always thought "Spring Break" at the beach WAS one of the busy seasons !?! hahaha It was plenty busy to me!

Myrtle Beach state park was beautiful, no campsites at the beach, but beautiful nevertheless... good hookups and sites too. We took a "courtesy drive thru" to check out that campground while we were there. We may venture there when I get a bit more experienced with tooling around with the new TT. Couple times this past trip I literally had to close my eyes, grit my teeth, and hope for the best. Everyone was right too, I had more people watching me than the superbowl. REALLY I DID!...Not just my opinion. I think it was the five passes in a circle I made of the campsite, and three failed attempts at pulling through that got the locals out with the beer, and lawn chairs and I even saw some kids with a bag of microwave popcorn! SHEEZ!

Gotta remember to charge admission next time.

but yeah, it was actually a really good trip for the first time out, inexperienced, only minor issues, except for the last day when I became the "Village Idiot" the night before we left by putting on my tow mirrors to get a head start for the morning. Problem was, I left the keys in the truck, in ACCY ON mode and doors completely unlocked. What a rookie dumb hiney move. Of course the battery was completely dead the next morning, and had to search around for someone to give me jump. (I can hear you all laughing at my expense from here...lol) But hey, stupid things like that just teach ya not to be a bonehead again!

crash
04-07-2013, 06:44 AM
We take 95 to ex 13 that 74 toward whiteville go 410 thru chadburn,tabor city,701 loris to highway 22 to highway 31 to 501 and that puts you at highway 15 witch is right behind the koa nice and easy for us:D

Outbackmel
04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
We were there in August, windy as always, lots of hard rain; thunderstorms. BUT, we endured and had fun. My RV is 37ft and spaces at Pirateland are TIGHT. Awnings almost touch. We left ours in 90% of the time. Mostly due to unpredictable wind gusts at any time. There was no room to anchor it securely.

Pirateland will NOT allow you to ride your motorcycle(s) in their park. They have a place to unload and store them (open area) right near the entry gate.

You cannot take your own golf cart there either. We rented one for the week.

The environment for small kids is the attraction. Lazy River pool and kiddie pool keep kids out of trouble and busy.

Without grandkids, I would NOT go back. With grandkids, ages 4 and 6, WOULD go back. Once they went home, I would move to another park. ( We are retired and have the opportunity to stay in places as long as the money lasts). :D

crash
04-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Thats why we dont like that place,when you come in from a long day of riding your motorcycle who wants to walk all the way to your site if you dont rent a golf cart,We have a golf cart and I be DA*NED if I am going to rent one thats just me:D