PDA

View Full Version : Gas grills

davidjsimons
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm thinking about buying a six burner event grill and adapting it to fit my rear mount. I need a larger grill for the races. Is there any reason why I can not utilize my quick connect at the rear of my trailer for this project (Such as volume and pressure) ? I am not a gas expert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveC7010
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking about buying a six burner event grill and adapting it to fit my rear mount. I need a larger grill for the races. Is there any reason why I can not utilize my quick connect at the rear of my trailer for this project (Such as volume and pressure) ? I am not a gas expert.

David, remember that there are low pressure LP systems and high pressure LP systems. Our RV's are all low pressure and the appliances are all designed around that. The regulators are right at the tanks so there is no high pressure available anywhere in the trailer.

I have a Coleman RoadTrip (low pressure unit) that I dearly love, but the regulator is a Coleman proprietary one and the connection to the grille is also proprietary. You can not daisy chain regulators in the same system or you get no pressure at all at the appliance. So I am stuck with carrying a separate tank at the moment. Still trying to decide if it's worth it to us to modify the grille to use the trailer's low pressure directly or have the flexibility to take the RoadTrip anywhere using a tank.

Some of the larger event grilles are high pressure which means they take the LP directly from the tank with no regulator. A high pressure appliance will not run on the low pressure that is available on our trailers.

Now if the event grille is a low pressure grille, then you should be able to direct swap it for your existing one. I would be concerned about adequate volume of gas at the far end of the trailer when you fire up more than a couple of burners.

Why not look around and see if you can identify what the various grilles would require? That may give you a better idea of how to proceed.

davidjsimons
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Roger that. That was what I needed to know.

JRTJH
04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
David, I echo Steve's comments regarding low pressure gas volume that far from the RV LP regulator. Additionally, all my experiences with larger grills has been with cooking for the troops at outdoor functions. Using the 6 and 8 burner grills we had, there was a tremendous amount of heat being generated. If I were you, I'd look seriously at whether you want that much heat just 2 or 3 feet from the back of your RV, not to mention the grease and fat that will be mixed with the smoke that will be generated.

I'd think it would be much safer and you'd have much less to clean up if you kept that much "cooking heat" at least 20 or 30 feet from your RV.

Possibly you could fabricate an attachment to carry the grill on the rear of your RV (for convenience) and then download it and move it further from the RV to use?

Bob Landry
04-03-2013, 01:38 PM
As long as the event stove is made to operate at 11"WC, the volume of gas is going to be the same throughout the length of the manifold pipe. I would recommend the OP contact the manufacturer of the stove and verify the operating requirements. The stove could also have a proprietary regulator that delivers a higher pressure or volume needed to run 6 burners. I'm not a propane expert to the extent that I can quote the gas volume/BTU relationship, but that seems like it's going to take a lot of propane to run all six burners.

JRTJH
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Bob, That was my thought as well. Propane pressure/volume is dependent on the amount of flow through the regulator and I don't know what volume the auto changeover regulators on our RV's are capable of providing.

I do know that in 6 hours of cooking hamburgers for 1500 troops and their families, each of our 8 burner grills would go through a 100 lb propane tank and be nearly empty. Plus, we (the brass that cooked for our troops) always wound up with burned arms and burned legs from the ordeal. There's a tremendous amount of heat produced and it takes an enormous amount of propane to generate that much fire.

davidjsimons
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
My father and I built a couple of gas grills and deep fryers several years ago. One grill had three burners about three feet long. It was made from a 275 gallon oil tank. The other was made from a saddle tank from a cab over International. We then had three huge deep fryer pots with three burners under each pot. My father passed away this past July, so I lost my gas man. I still have the units that we built though. I appreciate all of the insight and comments given to my question. I used to be able to just ride over to the house and ask. I'm thankful for the family here as well.