PDA

View Full Version : Camping..........Really

Ron
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I get a kick out of telling someone we are going camping, ya right camping for us older folks years ago was taking a tent, sleeping bags, and cooking over an open fire, so what should we really call what we do with these luxury homes on wheels? any thougts? :rolleyes:

JRTJH
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Hmmmm Like you, when I was a kid, camping meant taking one of Grandma's old quilts, a couple of potatoes, a 1lb can of lard, a skillet, fishing poles (or just line/hooks and cut some bamboo down by the river) and some matches. Later on, when we could afford it, we even bought "skeeter oil" to keep the bugs away. After we got married and bought a tent and sleeping bags, WOW what a luxury we had.... LOL

Nowdays, when we lean over to light the propane campfire under the awning that's lit with LED strips, watching the ball game on a 42" LCD TV while eating microwave popcorn and sitting in a folding rocker/recliner, with the "outdoor kitchen" well stocked with adult beverage (so we don't have to track sand on the carpet inside....... Hmmmm, I agree, can't really call it camping any more...... Heck, even when "dry camping" we can still do all of that stuff, just gotta listen to the "hummmmm" of the generator............

Maybe, we could call it "spending time at the mobile cottage" ??? ;)

Ken / Claudia
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
My neighbor has a garage that is bigger than my house, and his motorhome is worth more than my house. He uses it to go on "OUTINGS" not camping. I think that works for me. We now go on outings with our RV not camping.

frano
04-01-2013, 11:06 PM
After years of real "camping", we use our 32 foot Vantage for "vacation". :)

kenn209
04-02-2013, 02:36 AM
Glamping is what we call it!! lol

x96mnn
04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
When I go I call it Mobile Living. :D

fla-gypsy
04-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Well some of us bought a value priced TT and still call it camping! I do not have LCD TV or propane powered campfire in a can. I will soak in that AC in the queen size bed though when some sleep time is needed.

jsmith948
04-02-2013, 04:06 AM
I get a kick out of telling someone we are going camping, ya right camping for us older folks years ago was taking a tent, sleeping bags, and cooking over an open fire, so what should we really call what we do with these luxury homes on wheels? any thougts? :rolleyes:

We call it "Roughing it Smoothly":)

davidcyndi
04-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Glamping is what we call it!! lol

We call it the same thing! lol

Glamping (glamor camping)

ExTowerClimber
04-02-2013, 04:44 AM
My brother gives us grief about our "condo" on wheels while telling us it's not real camping unless you are sleeping under canvas like they do in their popup. If I want to sleep under canvas, I'll take a nap in the folding recliner under the awning.

But they go places to stay in a luxury hotel, we just hook up the M.V.H. (Mobile Vacation Home) and go. There is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed with all the comforts of home and a campfire.

GaryWT
04-02-2013, 04:59 AM
I always say it is camping if you have a picnic table and a fire pit. If the fire pit is propane then that is a different story. Sometime we call it resorting or we can go with the old stanf by RVing.

Bob Landry
04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
If God had intended for me to sleep in a tent on the ground, I would have green, baggy skin.

Ken / Claudia
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I guess I get it now, We get the TV and hook up the MVH and go Glamping, Then locate a tent site with follks cooking over the fire and ask them if they are enjoying their camping trip. (sleeping bags on the ground, in a tent was fun but not at retirement age)

Festus2
04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
If God had intended for me to sleep in a tent on the ground, I would have green, baggy skin.

Bob -

I don't sleep in a tent on the ground any more, but why do I have baggy skin? :confused:

The last time I looked, my skin was still white - not green. :D

Cougarfamily
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I guess I get it now, We get the TV and hook up the MVH and go Glamping, Then locate a tent site with follks cooking over the fire and ask them if they are enjoying their camping trip. (sleeping bags on the ground, in a tent was fun but not at retirement age)

Couldn't agree with you more, and we aren't even at retirement age yet! My DW and I definetly made some good memories in our more youthful days in our tent. Even sleeping in sleeping bags in the back of my pickup in a Az mountain meadow one time (sure was glad that I had put a rubber bed-liner in the truck). Though "roughing it" was fun back then, would not enjoy it now!

Cougarfamily
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
We call it "Roughing it Smoothly":)

I'll second that notion!:)

hankpage
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Yes! We are currently roughing it at Sun-N-Fun (http://sunnfunfl.brand.calls.net/sarasota-rv-resorts/poolside.cfm) in Sarasota, Florida. We were just wondering what the entertainment is at the poolside bar this evening. Life is good, Hank .......... Somehow I seem to remember that my sleeping-bag was always the one on top a tree root or rock. :rolleyes:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1153

Festus2
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Really disappointed in you Hank. I'm here thinking that all of your leisure time would be spent on the Hippo Slide but now I learn you have abandoned that and are seen hanging out, for long periods, at the Bar and Grill. :party:

Not a good example at all. Very disheartening news. :(

Ruffus
04-03-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm with Hank. After a hard day of camping which we call RVing it's adviseable to wind the day at the local Tiki Bar indulging in the local fare and observing others doing the same. By skipping this process you risk a sleepless night of tossing and turning wondering what you may have missed. I love camping.
:party::party:

hankpage
04-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Really disappointed in you Hank. I'm here thinking that all of your leisure time would be spent on the Hippo Slide but now I learn you have abandoned that and are seen hanging out, for long periods, at the Bar and Grill.

Not a good example at all. Very disheartening news. :(

As we all age, some learn to appreciate the finer things in life http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1238 and others just age. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 ............ and I stopped going on the Hippo slide when everyone was pointing and wondering if they named it after me. :(

Javi
04-03-2013, 03:39 AM
I still have and use my camping gear including sleeping bag and tent, most of the hunting I do it is required...

but it is nice to use the trailer when the DW tags along... in fact the trailer is a prerequisite if the wife is going.. :D she tried the tent thingy 39 years ago, for one night in the Colorado mountains above timberline and has never slept in one since... :rolleyes:

f6bits
04-03-2013, 05:08 AM
We call it "Vacation."

Years ago, imagine my dismay when I wandered into a Camping World looking for camping supplies.

JRTJH
04-03-2013, 05:25 AM
When we were first married, we tent camped through Europe. I well remember sleeping under the stars beneath the grapes in an Italian vinyard eating cheese and drinking wine straight from the cask. Sounds romantic, and it was, to an extent, but there were millions of bees "camping" there also. So not only was it romantic, it was stinging as well. Later, when camping on a hill outside Rome, we sat overlooking the city as the sunset behind it, painting an orange glow over that ancient city. Amsterdam, Paris, Colonge, Trier, Munich, they were all wonderful. The Swiss Alps, however, were remembered much like the Italian vinyard. We went to sleep beside a mountain stream, lulled asleep by the babbling brook, but woke up to our tent hitting us in the face as it sagged under the heavy load of that freak summer snow storm.....

So, like so many others, we started in a tent, but like the refrigerator evolved from an ice box to a compressor on top box to a two door to a side by side to a frost free french door design that makes its own ice and delivers it when you hold out your glass, our camping has evolved as well. I do enjoy waking up, getting out of bed in my "sleeping suit" and walking to the bathroom without having to put on socks, shoes, pants, jacket and gloves just to rekindle the fire before my morning journey to find a quiet tree.......

Kristi
04-30-2013, 05:53 PM

After years of hauling tents & supplies for 5 kids into camp each weekend, I'm gonna call this heaven,:p

chartrand
04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
After years of tent camping, I still call camping. The dictionary defines camping as:

A place where a group of persons or an individual is lodged in a ten or other temporary means of shelter.

Any temporary structure, as a tent or cabin, used on an outing or vacation.

So by the very definition, what I do is still called camping.

Oh course it's not much different than the idea of using a Pole, Bobber, Hook and a worm is called fishing, but so is a using one of those big and honken net's off the side of a dingy.

curlyfungirl
04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
My brother gives us grief about our "condo" on wheels while telling us it's not real camping unless you are sleeping under canvas like they do in their popup. If I want to sleep under canvas, I'll take a nap in the folding recliner under the awning.

But they go places to stay in a luxury hotel, we just hook up the M.V.H. (Mobile Vacation Home) and go. There is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed with all the comforts of home and a campfire.

You are definately sure to know how clean your sheets are and will most probably not bring home any bed bugs!!:p

Jca3
04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Ya the "purists" tell us we aren't camping. Hey we did our time in tents when we were young and broke. Of course people we know that don't think we are camping don't go out because they don't like roughing it any more than we do. We get to look at the lake or the ocean out the back of our rig when all they do is stay home.
My husband says we stay in places where rich people spend millions of dollars on their second homes, but if they don't like the neighbors they are stuck with em, :eek: we just pack up and move.

chris199
04-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Our oldest daughter joined us "camping" and said....."This isn't camping...it's excerting! (sp?)"

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Lost
05-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Our oldest daughter joined us "camping" and said....."This isn't camping...it's excerting! (sp?)"

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Our daughter said pretty much the same thing. Then I explained to her that "were roughing it ... I have to climb 3 steps to get a beer".:party:

Ron
05-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Our daughter said pretty much the same thing. Then I explained to her that "were roughing it ... I have to climb 3 steps to get a beer".:party:

Not only you have to climb steps to get a cold one but you have to reach into the refrigerator to get ice for your favorite beverage, that just ain't right you know...:D

hankpage
05-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Ron, My DW installed an ice dispenser in our Cougar ..... it's called ME. Now that's not right. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1177

Dhuhn
05-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Don't forget you have to climb back down the stairs to get back to your chair:D:D:D

Ron
05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Hank and Dhuhn, that s**t definetly aint right. Thank god my DW does not require ice with her beverage so I got to fetch it for myself, not got her trained yet, and the step thingy, just fall out the door into your favorite chair, alot faster that way so you can start enjoying that beverage sooner :eek:

michael
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I have learned to resort to my colman cooler with my ice and beverages right next to my chair. Those stairs seem so far away when your having fun. lol

CUFFS054
05-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Ha! When I announced to my older Bro (the 'perfect' child) that I was buying a camping trailer he retorted with "Tom you realize those things don't even have ice makers in them" Like I'm some sort of a delicate flower! I showed his butt, after I had the dishwasher and w/d installed I delibertly didn't buy a portable ice maker. The nerve of some people!

crash
05-07-2013, 02:43 AM
A coleman and one of those new fangled Ice machines you go to and pay $1.50 to $2.00 to fill your cooler up ,Now thats better than buying them bags of ice.Just my 2 cents:party::cool3:

davidjsimons
05-07-2013, 02:57 AM
I have a nice home and I am comfortable at home. No sense in leaving home and not being comfortable. That's kind of like running out of fuel with money in your pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TandE
05-07-2013, 04:42 AM
I have a nice home and I am comfortable at home. No sense in leaving home and not being comfortable. That's kind of like running out of fuel with money in your pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X2!!! That's how I feel now.