PDA

View Full Version : Surge protectors

howard
04-01-2013, 09:57 AM
The most recent Good Sam magazine has a large article on RV campground surge protectors both portable and hardwired. A 50 amp unit runs from just over $100 to over $500. Has anyone had any experience actually needing one, or wishing they had one?

cabinfever
04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Being a newbie myself, I have read a lot about them from the long timers on this site and others. Do you need one? No, but I decided for the cost of the portable unit I purchased not worth the risk of not having. I look at it as a one time cost insurance policy. This is the one I purchased....http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/power-surge-protector-portable.htm

geo
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Howard -

I installed a Surge Guard 40250 ATS in our Alpine after Keystone recalled the original ATS. (You can find this in the Forum via "Search".) The 40250 is a combination surge guard with line testing and automatic transfer switch. Now, I cannot tell you if I "really" needed it or not, after all like the article you mentioned says - surge guards are like insurance, if needed you will wish you had it. However, I can say that our 40250 found an area at our favorite campground that someone in the past had mis-wired. The 50 amp neutral and ground wire were swapped - giving both an "Open Neutral" and "Open Ground" error. In August with all the RV air conditioners going on and off, out in the wilds of North Texas . . . I can only guess the consequences!

Ron

davidcyndi
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
When you need one its already too late. Do yourself a favor and buy one. Integrated or inline surge protector it doesn't matter just get one. Read reviews and listen to what people have to say. That is what I did and I ended up with an in line
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Portable-Surge-Guards-With-LCD-Display-50-Amp/58465/&?&affiliateid=3274&cvsfa=2734&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3538343635&gclid=CMzXpveXqrYCFQ6ynQodjHQAWw

SAABDOCTOR
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
THE surge protector is just that an insureance policy. Stop and think about what is in your camper, tv, stereo, the fridge w/ digital controls replacing that far out weights the cost of a good surge protector. i have been lucy mine has been a waste of money so far but some day i'll be glad i had it!:D

chuck&gail
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Over 70 years without one in stick house, no problems.
Over 100,000 miles with hardsided TT, no problems.
So far so good.

Bigsky3625
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
I have a Progressive Industries power management that I am sure save a few appliances.

Plug it in and it runs a test for volts,amps. and opens and shorts. When all clear, plug in and you are good to go. I lock it up as well.

I have some very nice audio / video equipment at home which also is plugged in to a good power management center.

I would recommend more than a surge protector. Get something that monitors and has surge protection.

raytronx
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm a electronics repair tech and could repair most of the items that would blow, but it's not worth the hassle and inconvenience.

Looking at most of the campground wiring I come across, I wouldn't be without one, and not just the surge protector but the ones that monitor everything, usually called electrical management systems.

Of course I'm a full timer so the inconvenience of multiple things failed in my house is much more than a weekend user that can take it back home and wait for all the repairs.

Ray

Jim W
04-02-2013, 06:56 AM
I have the 50 AMP portable surge protector from Camping World, bought this in 2010 when the trailer was new. My DW asked do we really need to spend the $350 for this; my answer to her was do we really need the Cougar trailer?

As stated this is an insurance policy for protection. Will the unit has protected my camper twice now do to surges in the campground wiring once in 2010 when the camp ground was struck by lightning and the other due to faulty wiring out west at one. So to me it was well worth the money spent.

Jim W.

howard
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll get one!
Howard

Andymon
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I think that's the best price I've seen!

Being a newbie myself, I have read a lot about them from the long timers on this site and others. Do you need one? No, but I decided for the cost of the portable unit I purchased not worth the risk of not having. I look at it as a one time cost insurance policy. This is the one I purchased....http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/power-surge-protector-portable.htm