PDA

View Full Version : bathroom vanity fake wood peeling

BobnLee
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
We had a leak from the shower I think it was from the door but there was water siting on the floor at the vanity. By the time I had noticed this the paper fake wood had peeled away at the bottom. Is there any way of fixing this or should I rip it out and put in a real wooden vanity.... Its only about two inches but drives me nuts every time I look at it.

SteveC7010
03-30-2013, 01:10 PM
We had a leak from the shower I think it was from the door but there was water siting on the floor at the vanity. By the time I had noticed this the paper fake wood had peeled away at the bottom. Is there any way of fixing this or should I rip it out and put in a real wooden vanity.... Its only about two inches but drives me nuts every time I look at it.

If you have not ripped away the paper, you could glue it back, but the finished appearance may or may not be acceptable.

Have you thought about getting a piece of laminate in the same wood grain and color and resurfacing the entire face where the peeling is located? It's pretty easy to do and the materials are readily available at any home improvement store.

michol02
03-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Depending on how far up its damaged, you could put baseboard or similar trim over it and even caulk the bottom so leaks won't cause the same problem again. Just a thought!!

BobnLee
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys but the problem is the vanity is rounded. It is not a square 90 or it would have been way too easy. Just thought someone else out there has had the same problem

JRTJH
04-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Lowes has some high pressure laminate with adhesive backing, sort of a "super grade contact paper" that is available in a variety of patterns and colors. You might look at that product as an alternative.

SteveC7010
04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys but the problem is the vanity is rounded. It is not a square 90 or it would have been way too easy. Just thought someone else out there has had the same problem

The laminate which both JRTJH and I suggested will conform to rounded surfaces just fine. Regular countertop laminate might need to be coaxed to shape with momma's hair dryer but will still do the job well.

The baseboard material which michol02 suggested will also conform to rounded surfaces.

How about posting a pic of the damaged vanity? That greatly help us all have an informed and helpful conversation about this.

BobnLee
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys sorry for taking so long to reply. Have not had a chance to go on line for a while so I missed your replies. I will attempt to take a pic this weekend and post it. Thanks for all your help..

therink
04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I just made a repair to similar damage to the the end base of mu home kitchen cabinet. I recovered the entire end cap surface with red oak veneer (real wood) bought from Lowes.
It comes in a roll ( 24" x 36" I believe) and has glue backing that is heat activated. It will form around a radius as you mention. You can then stain it any color you choose. It is east to cut and form this material and may work for your application.
Steve.

BobnLee
04-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Thanks Steve I will go have a look and see if this will do the trick for me.