PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of heaters

K4BEV
03-30-2013, 07:49 AM
I turned off both bottles, unplugged from shore power, disconnected the battery and waited overnight (probably only needed a few minutes though).
Reconnect the batt, plugged in, turned on both bottles, fired up the stove and then the furnace.
Everything seems to be OK now (one hour later).

We bought an '05 Laredo a few weeks ago and so far it's been living in the yard - plugged in.
It's been kinda cold at night, so I've left the furnace on and set at around 55 or so. Worked great.
Then the LP bottle that it was running on was empty. The furnace had stopped.

So I took the bottle to the propane dealer and had it filled. The second bottle was about 1/2 full so I swapped them - Figuring that I could empty it too and when we finally get to go camping we would have both bottles full.

I turned the 1/2 full bottle on and left the newly filled bottle turned off. Lit the stove and once all 3 burners were OK I turned the furnace back on and waited till warm air came out of the floor registers. Once I got warm air I turned the furnace back off (at the t-stat) and went back into the house for a while.... Now, even with the furnace off at the t-stat there is a bad propane smell in the trailer ! It is coming from the furnace but there is no propane odor outside at the furnace vents - just on the inside.

Any ideas???

CUFFS054
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
K4,
remember propane is heavier than air/ox. Have you checked to make sure all burner valves are off on stove? Since furnace is a closed system, it seems unlikely that you should smell gas from the vents. Have you checked water heater?

JRTJH
04-01-2013, 07:44 AM
The pilot light on the oven and if it's an older RV also the pilot light on the range top may well be leaking propane. Otherwise, if nothing has been "moved, bounced around or jiggled" by towing the RV, it's not likely to be a mechanical issue, as nothing should have "broken" I'd check for a pilot that's not lit.

K4BEV
04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I believe it's OK now - See first post.... (tx)