PDA

View Full Version : Montana High Country

Dhuhn
03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
You may want to look into a Montana High Country there a lighter weight. We have one and love it.

warsw
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
You may want to look into a Montana High Country there a lighter weight. We have one and love it.What model do you have? How long have you had it? Aprox how many miles have you towed it? Is it everything you hoped it would be?

I know a lot of questions. We just bought a new Montana HC 343 RL. Due to weather we haven't been able to take it out so all we have on it is the 50 miles it took to get it home. It seems to be everything we hoped it to be and we are super excided to get it out for real.

mic1hael
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I am also interested what you think about your Montana HC. I was looking at those because they are lightweight. Any problems with them ie are they built with quality components and would you go camping in the winter when its below freezing?"bouncey:

Dhuhn
03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
We have a 2012 313re we just got it last fall, we had it out once before the winter hit. We went with this because of the lighter weight and the floor plan this one had. As far as the quality I didn't see much difference. I think the main thing it's all electric, the slides, and the jacks.
We have only towed it about 150 miles, and I was very pleased with the way my silverado 2500 duromax handled it. As far as camping in winter I'm not sure it is insulated as well as the reg montana.
So far we are really happy with our choice in buying ours.

Lost
03-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I am also interested what you think about your Montana HC. I was looking at those because they are lightweight. Any problems with them ie are they built with quality components and would you go camping in the winter when its below freezing?"bouncey:

We have a 2012 High Country 313re and love it. As far as using it in the winter with temps in the teens I don't think I would try it. From what i've read in this forum no keystone is set up for thoses temps unless you do alot of mods to it. I am impressed with ours ... I opened it up a couple of weeks ago when the temp was 24. It took about a hour to get the inside temp up to 72 and after that the heater hardly kicked on to maintain that temp.:)

Dhuhn
03-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Lost I was wondering on your high counrty, do you have a sewer hose storage on it or did you make your own? Ours didn't come with one because we have the rounded back end with no bumper.

grayghost03
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
We have the 2012 343RL, slept in it about 40 nights, towed about 7,000 miles. No issues. We love it. I did add some shelving, spacing sucked. We have the rounded back with no bumper. Sew hose compartment on the street side, just aft of the convience center, holds 20 ft.

Dhuhn
03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Our 313 doesn't have the compartment for sewer hose, wish it did.

warsw
03-30-2013, 09:07 PM
We have the 2012 343RL, slept in it about 40 nights, towed about 7,000 miles. No issues. We love it. I did add some shelving, spacing sucked. We have the rounded back with no bumper. Sew hose compartment on the street side, just aft of the convience center, holds 20 ft.Good info.....Thanks.

warsw
03-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Our 313 doesn't have the compartment for sewer hose, wish it did.Our 2013 343 RL has the square rear bumper with rubber end caps for storing the sewer hose. I never use them. I used to but I found that from just the vibration going down the road it would wear holes in the hose and about the second time I would go to use it I would have a sprinkler system rather than a hose :(. I now just store it in a plastic tote I got at Wal Mart. Works much better.

Lost
03-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Lost I was wondering on your high counrty, do you have a sewer hose storage on it or did you make your own? Ours didn't come with one because we have the rounded back end with no bumper.

Our's has a sewer hose compartment right next to the main under storage just before the kitchen slide.

Dhuhn
03-31-2013, 10:09 AM
I now just store it in a plastic toat I got at Wal Mart. Works much better.

Good idea about tot much better than using a garbage bag and can be hosed out when needed.. (tx)

SkiSmuggs
04-01-2013, 06:58 AM
I have the Cougar High Country and love it. No issues with cold weather while camping in the driveway, but plumbing had been winterized. I've been using the rear bumper for sewer hose, but had to put a screw in the end caps to keep them from coming out. New end caps with little bumps won't fit as the bumper is 4" OD rather than ID. I've seen where some fasten a 4" PVC pipe across the roof of the basement and put end caps on it.

abby33
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
We also have 313RE and love it. Mine has a small compartment just to the right of the street side pass thru door for sewer hose storage. Just make sure your hose has caps on the ends if you use that compartment. It's not the greatest setup in the world so I'm going to mount a hose storage tube in the pass thru this year.

Jim Dow
06-23-2013, 01:53 PM
We have the 2011 MHC and really like it - bought it used in Jan 2013 from the original owner who wanted to upgrade to a motor home. It was in like-new condition when we bought it.

It tows really well behind a F250 - no modifications.

No problems to date.

Sparky
06-24-2013, 08:52 AM
We also have the Montana High Country 313RE. Had a couple minor issues the dealer took care of. Tows fantastic, we have about 7k on it now. I did a mod to the service center compartment door so it would extend higher up. It now stops about 1" from touching the bedroom slide. Before the hatch wasn't even at 90 degrees to the ground when opened. I got tired of knocking the noggin. My only disappointment is the weakness in the floor next to the dinning table and recliner. We use only 2 chairs, When someone steps on the floor the table buckles down then pops back up. Talked to Keystone twice and they continue to claim this is 'normal'. I have also read many other posts regarding this issue. Looking into having a Ventastic vent (same as the kitchen unit) installed in the bedroom.

Dhuhn
06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
My only disappointment is the weakness in the floor next to the dinning table and recliner. We use only 2 chairs, When someone steps on the floor the table buckles down then pops back up. Talked to Keystone twice and they continue to claim this is 'normal'. I have also read many other posts regarding this issue.

Ours has a little flex there also, I think its because it is a big slide and your going to have some flex with that wide of a slide. I dont know if this would work have you looked into the support jacks for the slides Ive seen them on CW site dont know if they work or not. The little flex doesn't bother me.

Jim Dow
07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
We have owned our 2011 (new to us) Montana High Country for 8 months and have used it about 5 or 6 weekends.

It has a small sewer hose storage compartment; so I store a longer hose in a bucket. I've been thinking about making the 4"x4" fence post storage mod; but so far I have not gotten around to doing it.

We have had only minor issues, most of which were due to lack of knowledge on my part.

We really enjoy our High Country.

ratherbecamping
07-31-2013, 04:19 AM
We were at a dealer's yesterday (bought a Montana High Country 343RL) and were told that the floor has a "bow flex" design and will feel "rubbery" underfoot compared to other rigs. The reason for this is to prevent the vinyl from cracking during cold temperatures.

JRTJH
07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
We were at a dealer's yesterday (bought a Montana High Country 343RL) and were told that the floor has a "bow flex" design and will feel "rubbery" underfoot compared to other rigs. The reason for this is to prevent the vinyl from cracking during cold temperatures.

I would be inclined to check out several other 343RL's to compare that "bow flex" design. That dealer's explanation sounds more "rubbery" than the RV's floor..... Just sayin'

N5PHT
07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
:confused: I also use a tote in the storage area. But it interesting the 2013 343RL has the square rear bumper - our 2012 does not have a rear bumper. Wonder what else is changed?

Gary Stone
Ham Op N5PHT
343RL F-250 Diesel - both 2012

Our 2013 343 RL has the square rear bumper with rubber end caps for storing the sewer hose. I never use them. I used to but I found that from just the vibration going down the road it would wear holes in the hose and about the second time I would go to use it I would have a sprinkler system rather than a hose :(. I now just store it in a plastic tote I got at Wal Mart. Works much better.

Poppy's 5th Wheel
07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Our bests friends and RV travel companions just purchased a Montana High Country 343RL and I would move up to one in a heart beat if I wouldn't take such a bath on our 2011 Cougar High Country. The build quality is comparable to my current rig but I absolutely love the living space.

I would be somewhat concerned about increasing our length and the opposite side slide as we already find it increasingly difficult to get sites in some parks since we went up from 26 ft to 34 but I would take the move if I could afford it.

brucem26
08-07-2013, 01:16 PM
We purchased a 2014 Montana HC 318 RE This unit is fantastic! We love everything about it... the light weight allows us to tow it comfortably with a F-250 crew cab gas and the mileage is actually about the same as our previous Outback 295RE travel trailer.

The quality in the unit is top notch. The cabinets are well finished, the appliances work great, the double wide 12' fridge is awesome! Every little thing has been thought of.

We've towed it about 7,000km so far this summer and not a hiccup. Only thing was that the sink cover plates were missing and we are waiting to get replacements from Keystone.

Jim Dow
08-11-2013, 07:25 AM
We bought a "new to us" 2011 Montana High Country in January of 2013. We have used it about 6 times, pulling it over 500 miles; and we have no problems with it. We love it.

I pull it with a F250 Super Duty; and it pulls fine.

I did immediately replace all the China Bomb tires though.

N5PHT
08-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I have 2012 343RL and have some issues. I think Keystone will be contacting owners. I am working with DOT on the issue. Keystone has decided the GVWR was incorrect and the correct GVWR is 12120 (like the 2013).

I love the trailer but really think the axles should be 6k 8lug.

Keystone even sent me New stickers your the unit - incl the Federal sticker. Now they say cargo limit is 2020 instead of 2400 on my sticker and sales paper.

The 2012 model 343RL was listed as 12500 GVWR and cargo allowed of 2400 pounds and pin of 1720. But those figures figures don't pass Fed rules so Keystone now has decided the GVWR was incorrect - but DOT tells me they were not notified of the change.

Fed rules state pin weight and total axle rating can not be less than GVWR. 10400 axles + 1720 (Keystone figures) = less than stated GVWR. So Keystone has thus far tried to make it ok by adjusting GVWR and cargo allowance.

But we do like the trailer and have been in it 115 days this trip. Just wish axles were bigger.

Only other major issue is Norcold fridge went out first few months. How replacement keeps working. It's the 1200.

Gary, N5PHT ham op

n4qpcham
10-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Check out D & W Inc. in Elkhart, IN http://www.dwincorp.com/ for a sewer hose carrier. Custom made to length and only around $40.00 plus shipping, which can get expensive to the west, depending on location and length of tube. I've had two of the tubes now(both around 72" to carry 20ft. of hose w/connectors)and they work great! Site also has other RV parts you can't find everywhere else, like the curled outsid3 shower hose(2 lengths) with the correct fittings!

Pmedic4
10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I would be inclined to check out several other 343RL's to compare that "bow flex" design. That dealer's explanation sounds more "rubbery" than the RV's floor..... Just sayin'

We have a Cougar HC, and the long slideout floor flexes quite a bit where the dining table and chairs are located. While we all understand there are compromises regarding weight, I agree with your assessment - real 'flexible' explanation by the dealer.

I would like that ours was a little firmer, but there isn't an easy way to modify it to fix the flexing. If it had the dinette booth instead of the table, I'm certain you wouldn't feel the floor flexing as much, but we preferred the table, as I just don't like those RV booths and having to slide to get in and out.

Pmedic4
10-23-2013, 10:41 AM

We have a Cougar HC, and the long slideout floor flexes quite a bit where the dining table and chairs are located. While we all understand there are compromises regarding weight, I agree with your assessment - real 'flexible' explanation by the dealer.

I would like that ours was a little firmer, but there isn't an easy way to modify it to fix the flexing. If it had the dinette booth instead of the table, I'm certain you wouldn't feel the floor flexing as much, but we preferred the table, as I just don't like those RV booths and having to slide to get in and out.

Jim Dow
10-25-2013, 06:13 PM
We bought a "new to us" 2011 Montana High Country 323RL one year ago. We have used it 6 or 7 weekends; and we are happy with it. Everything actually works. Also, it pulls well with our 2010 F250 Super Duty diesel.

jerseyphil
10-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Our 2013 343 RL has the square rear bumper with rubber end caps for storing the sewer hose. I never use them. I used to but I found that from just the vibration going down the road it would wear holes in the hose and about the second time I would go to use it I would have a sprinkler system rather than a hose :(. I now just store it in a plastic tote I got at Wal Mart. Works much better.

I also put mine in a plastic tote, but I put it in a black contractor bag first. Just a quirk of mine, but that works for me.