PDA

View Full Version : Step tread covers

Beefsgt
03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Maybe I am cheap, but to cover the steps on the camper with the tread covers from the dealer for 22$ a piece seems a little pricy. Anyone have any cheaper solutions considering I have 6 steps to cover?:banghead::

GaryWT
03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Just leave them as is, why cover them.

B&T
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
agree -- not really needed -- had them on our last trailer -- did not do much to cut down on tracked in dirt. Just my insignificant opinion :)

cdawrld
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
I wanted these too but it's just too expensive for my three steps.
So I got a $5 door mat and put it by the bottom step. Works just as good with the kids. Clean trailer= happy camper

davidcyndi
03-25-2013, 01:33 PM
My wife and I are still going to get them. We think it will really cut down on the dirt that gets into the trailer. Already have the rug out front and a door mat inside. We are going to get the ones that strap on using the little spring things. Don't really care if someone doesn't think they are useful or if they are a waste of money. Its our money anyway. "bouncey:

For an alternative you could get black astroturf from lowes or homedepot and cut to size, use some circle rivets and then use zip ties to attach.

davidcyndi
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
search amazon and ebay for "rv step rug"
maybe you can find something that meets your budget.

Rick1300
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Walmart always has these for cheap!

aclay
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
We bought $15 ones from Amazon and we like them.

BUDMAN76
03-27-2013, 04:33 AM
Went to lowes and got a black hallway runner that you can buy by the foot. I think i paid $10 to do 6 steps. I just cut for correct size and velcro down to the steps. When time to clean, just take off and wash and put back on.

byrdr1
03-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Made my own. 6 rivets per cover and about 2 foot of material per step in the right width. very easy to do. Gave me something to do one day on vacation. work a little relax a little, work a little relax a little.
randy

hankaye
03-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Howdy All;

If your dead set on having them, why not
just buy some "Astro Turf" (dateing myself),
at Lowes or HD ??? you can buy it by the foot
from a roll that is 8 or 10 feet long, get some
zip ties and you're good to go.

hankaye

davidcyndi
03-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Howdy All;

If your dead set on having them, why not
just buy some "Astro Turf" (dateing myself),
at Lowes or HD ??? you can buy it by the foot
from a roll that is 8 or 10 feet long, get some
zip ties and you're good to go.

hankaye

post #5 ;)

Stevereno
04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I wanted these too but it's just too expensive for my three steps.
So I got a $5 door mat and put it by the bottom step. Works just as good with the kids. Clean trailer= happy camper
My wife and I are new to RV'ing, just acquired our Cougar 25RET a few weeks ago and made one short weekend trip so far. We have one 3x5 rug to put on the ground under the step and a welcome mat just inside the door of the trailer. Hopefully the two of those will work fairly well.

bp926
04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Camping World has them on Sale for $12.99 from $18.99 in the Good Sam Highways magazine. Page 105 :)

NotyetMHCowner
10-12-2016, 02:49 AM
I am going today after work to get 4 for our fiver at Camping World. Last trip, our dog got one of her nails hung in one of the holes in the step and just about broke her leg. It scared us to death.

Desert185
10-12-2016, 07:44 AM
My wife and I are still going to get them. We think it will really cut down on the dirt that gets into the trailer. Already have the rug out front and a door mat inside. We are going to get the ones that strap on using the little spring things. Don't really care if someone doesn't think they are useful or if they are a waste of money. Its our money anyway. "bouncey:

For an alternative you could get black astroturf from lowes or homedepot and cut to size, use some circle rivets and then use zip ties to attach.

We did the the same on the main door steps with the "little spring things", but left the garage entrance steps bare. Doesn't do much to prevent dirt migration, but we did it primarily to increase traction on frosty or snowy mornings when we have an autumn or spring camp out. That's where the real advantage is. The only way to keep dirt out is to take off your shoes.

Pull Toy
10-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Economy Door Mats in front of steps? and kids take off shoes... before entering camper. It's worked for us for 20 years now, even the Grandkids know!

LarrySharon
10-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Yes, I read where people would by a throw rug and cut to size and used zip ties to hold them to the steps. You could use the fake grass and that would help with the dirt on the bottom of the shoes.

NotyetMHCowner
10-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Well after driving over an hour and a half to Camping World and back home, when I install the last rug, the steps wont close. Hopefully they will take them back. I like them, but I don't want to have to install the covers each time. I guess I will just put some grip tape on to cover the holes.

byrdr1
10-13-2016, 07:55 AM

I bought my brown astroturf and made my own. Same as above.
six rivets and some cheap springs to hold it all together. Did not think about wire ties. easy to do while just chillin' at the CG.
BUT they need replacing now they are worn out.
randy

msp2jxr
10-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Ditto on what Budman did on his steps. We used an old rug that we laid out under the step for years. We cut that up and velcroed it to the step.

temccarthy1
10-30-2016, 02:22 PM
We feel they have made a nice difference keeping the dirt and grit off the camper floor. Got them on Amazon just for my 3 rear steps which is the entrance we use all the time. They were only about 14.99 each so $45 for all 3. Also important if you have a dog because the holes in the metal steps can rip a toe nail out of a dog and cause a far bigger and more expensive issue!

Fonedude
11-06-2016, 04:05 PM
ebay each $11 with free shipping