PDA

View Full Version : Mantana High Country Axles

atanchor
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Thought I would throw this out.

We have a 2011 Keystone Montana High Country 343RL. Gross loaded weight max is 12,500. It comes with Dexter 5,300 lb axles and an estimated 18% tongue weight on the pin which gives you a glorious safety margin of about 200 pounds. Keystone -thanks for nothing!

Even though I tow at approx 11,500 pounds (I weighed it), at about 4,000 miles, the the left rear tire wore to a frazzle on the inside. I contacted Dexter Axle for advice (no point going to Keystone) and they upgraded my axle to their 6,000 lb model. Super nice folks to deal with.

At about 10,000 miles, I blew the left front tire on Interstate 10 at 65mph. (I can't say enough about tire pressure monitors. They saved my bacon.) Examination showed both front tires heavily worn on the inside indicating the axle had splayed out. I examined the tires on the rear upgraded axle and they were perfect (one had 6,000 mi, the other 10,000 mi). As I said, I don't overload my trailer so I have to conclude the standard 5,300 lb axle is inadequate. Once again Dexter came to my aid and is helping me take care of this problem.

I wonder if anyone else has a High Country with excessive tire ware issues?

warsw
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Not good news. I just bought a 2013 Keystone Montana High Country 343RL. I only have about 50 miles on it which was the trip home. I have the same axles on it as yours came with. I'm sure not looking forward to having axle problems.

GaryWT
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Have you contacted Keystone after the second axle? If not, they cannot help you and they cannot make changes for the future. I know they have upgraded the axles they use on the Premier line as there had been problems.