PDA

View Full Version : Towing in the carpool lane

f6bits
03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
I've seen it once before (toy hauler), but today I saw it again. Doubly so. A fiver in the carpool lane. Several cars behind that was a TT in the carpool lane. They really need bright orange "I'm an idiot!" banners on those trailers.

Is there any state where it's legal to pull a trailer in the carpool lane?

davidjsimons
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=f6bits;69135]They really need bright orange "I'm an idiot!" banners on those trailers.

Not really, everybody already knows it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f6bits
03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I meant: A bright orange banner with reverse lettering stuck to their front cap.

Not really, everybody already knows it.

SteveC7010
03-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Is there any state where it's legal to pull a trailer in the carpool lane?

Kinda depends on the highway markings on any particular expressway up here in NY. Unlike some states that have the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) or carpool lanes, we don't see much of that in Upstate and Western New York. There are some stretches of roads here and there where tractor trailers and other large vehicles are prohibited. As far as I know, that includes our TT's and fivers. I don't see much abuse of that around here.

Maybe it's the two or more people per vehicle rule instead of prohibiting certain types of vehicles. I can see where somebody with the spouse and two kids in a pickup pulling a TT might feel that they meet the HOV rule. But driving 45 in a 65 (or faster) lane where traffic is expected to move right along would be a really dumb thing to do.

But it happens... sadly.