PDA

View Full Version : Headboard fell off

Charli
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Last summer our headboard fell off. It's basically a piece of 1/4" plywood covered with some padding and fabric on one side. It's was then nailed into the wall with an air-nailer. They certainly used lots of nails but I don't think they hit any studs behind the thin wallboard.
I took a quick look at it last fall and wasn't sure how to find the aluminum studs. I'll take a more detailed look at it this spring but any suggestion on how to secure it so a little vibration from driving over some bumpy roads won't have it falling off again.
We've had the 5er for 2 summers and in general are happy with it but a number of small things like this issue lead me to question the quality control in the factory and causes me to wonder what the longer term durability will be. Perhaps I'm just looking for an excuse to go bigger.

antiqfreq
03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
We've had our Cougar fiver over five years now.

Not looking to go bigger and we are satisfied with the quality of it overall.

Even the $100,000 campers have their problems as do the million dollar motorhomes. Gotta be handy to own one of these things !

Jo

:D

volvosweetie
03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I wonder if you could use the 3m picture hangers that are like velcro. I hung a fairly heavy picture that had glass in the frame and it held till I took it down. I just didn't when I knew we wouldn't be traveling for a bit so it had time to set up. If you used them all around the edge and maybe a few in the center I think it would hold it. I think they have some they say will hold I think 60lbs.
Just a suggestion.

Roller4Tan
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
LiquidNails ??:confused:

JRTJH
03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
If you think about it, the headboard needs to be "removable" without damaging the wall behind it. If for no other reason, it ought to be able to be taken off should you decide to change the decor of your bedroom. If it were permanently attached to the wall, if you damaged the fabric on the headboard, if it became stained, if it tore, you'd wind up destroying the wall behind it trying to remove it to replace the fabric.

I will say that using a hap-hazard pattern of slamming staples into the headboard to attach it is not only "unprofessional" it's just cheap and makes the bedroom seem thrown together (at least in your mind).

I'd suggest removing all the staples, finding two or three studs, some screw "flowerettes" and paint the heads of some square drive screws to match the fabric/flowerettes and then attach the headboard properly. Make sure you use screws that are short enough not to go through the wall and reach the fiberglass outside !!!

We haven't needed to remove our headboard yet, but when we do, I've already got the flowerettes and the screws in the spare parts box in the trailer.

fla-gypsy
03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I would use construction adhesive and just a few nails to hold it until it sets.

JRTJH
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I would use construction adhesive and just a few nails to hold it until it sets.

If you do that, you can't get it off to remodel or repair/change the fabric without tearing up the wall it's glued to.... That's a bit too permanent for most RV's that will sooner or later need fixing.....

fla-gypsy
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
If you do that, you can't get it off to remodel or repair/change the fabric without tearing up the wall it's glued to.... That's a bit too permanent for most RV's that will sooner or later need fixing.....

My way of thinking is it will never fall off again and I'll never have to take it down for the "decorator" either. Fixed that! LOL

RedOne
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Ours came loose too. I'm not really worried about it as we just let it rest against the wall and push the mattress up against it. Worry about it this summer if it bothers us too much. Just get the air nailer out and go to it.

Charli
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I did try Velcro but the wall is curved and the Velcro wasn't strong enough to hold as the curve in the plywood would spring away from the wall. But the picture hanger idea is intreaging and will look into it once the snow melts. Would be easy to remove the headboard if necessary. If not, if I can find the studs (they are aluminum and don't think a typical stud finder will work) I may try the screws with flowerettes.
I did try to renail it with the airnailer but the plywood is so thin that the nail heads went right through it and fully into the wall. Will have to experiment with turning down the compressor pressure if I do go back to this solution or use the clipped head nails rather than finishing
At the end of the day, no headboard, no problem. Doesn't interfere with our camping experience.