PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram Cummins 6.7 Catalyst thefts

KenBob
03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Just a heads up to all 6.7 Cummins owners. Have seen a high number of catalytic converter thefts from these trucks. They are easy to unbolt. Dealership price is about $2500 + $200 core. Right now, they are on back order. Do not know about the aftermarket availability.

No, I am not a victim. I work at a dealer and see the trucks come in.

There are no dealer items available to prevent/deter the thefts. Some have tack welded the nuts to the bolts. (not recommended) I plan on welding on some small steel plates connecting the cat to the front pipe and the rear pipe at the flanges. If the cat needs to be serviced, the plates can be cut off. Sure, a thief may be able to cut them off as well, but it will take more time and probably be noisy.

An ounce of prevention.............................

warsw
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Just a heads up to all 6.7 Cummins owners. Have seen a high number of catalytic converter thefts from these trucks. They are easy to unbolt. Dealership price is about $2500 + $200 core. Right now, they are on back order. Do not know about the aftermarket availability.

There are no dealer items available to prevent/deter the thefts. Some have tack welded the nuts to the bolts. (not recommended) I plan on welding on some small steel plates connecting the cat to the front pipe and the rear pipe at the flanges. If the cat needs to be serviced, the plates can be cut off. Sure, a thief may be able to cut them off as well, but it will take more time and probably be noisy.

An ounce of prevention.............................I wonder if this is a problem with the other brands as well?

SAD
03-22-2013, 02:23 AM
I wonder if this is a problem with the other brands as well?

Every now and then (although not often) we hear about this on the local news. Not brand specific.. Just catalytic converter specific. ;) They want the precious metals out of it. Trucks are easier to steal since they are higher off the ground than a passenger car.

jsmith948
03-22-2013, 05:39 AM

An ounce of prevention.............................

Geeez!......Only in California! We have to lock our garbage cans to keep 'em from stealing our garbage!!!;)

JRTJH
03-22-2013, 05:59 AM
In Michigan, there's an "auto theft ring" going around to dealerships. They are stealing tire and wheel assemblies from cars and trucks. They cut the overhead lights, jack up the cars onto blocks and take all 4 wheels. When they hit the Ford dealership in Gaylord, they got over $100K of "stuff" Sad part is, they stole a UHaul truck from next door to carry it away in. So, not only are they "stealing wheels, they're also stealing the get away car" :banghead:

Jim W
03-22-2013, 06:05 AM
On one of the diesel forums that I am on, there was a post of the local Chevy Dealer in the posters area where the diesel trucks on the lot had all of their converters and DPF stolen. They were removed with a sawzall by the thieves. Police said that this was becoming more and more common since all of the precious metal in them.

My DPF/NOX and Catalytic converter are safely locked away in the attic in the garage.
Jim W.

SAABDOCTOR
03-22-2013, 06:08 AM
WE had some good luck here in danbury,ct. ther was a group of men stealing wheels and tires at a caddy dealership. they left the lights on and the truck running with the headlights on at 1:30 am on sunday. yep stupid and yep in jail! Wayto go boys in blue!!!! got em:applause:

geo
03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
I believe the precious metal is platinum, and is worth some big bucks on today's metal market. Just seems like a lot of work to get a little plantinum, though. Wouldn't a regular job be easier? :D

Ron

Jables
03-22-2013, 08:01 AM
crackheads tend to not be employable.

ThePressureIsOn
03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
In our town, a catalytic converter thief got pretty much what he deserved. While cutting it off of a automobile, it fell off the jack and squished him. No one noticed until the following morning when they went to get into their car and saw two legs sticking out from under the vehicle....OUCH!

mecfd67
03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
In our town, a catalytic converter thief got pretty much what he deserved. While cutting it off of a automobile, it fell off the jack and squished him. No one noticed until the following morning when they went to get into their car and saw two legs sticking out from under the vehicle....OUCH!

Karma can be a squish : Bankhead:

therink
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
In my area, a couple thieves got busted doing this last week. They were on a rampage for about 1 month. One medivan place had 15 cut off in one night. Platinum is the metal in the converters. Each one fetches about $400. All it takes is a cordless sawzall and about 2 minutes. The sad thing is that the two guys that were caught used to work for my company. Yes, they were fired for stealing and they are crackheads. I got a little satisfaction seeing their mugs on the local news.
Steve

audio1der
03-23-2013, 09:17 PM
I just heard about this a week ago. Then last night I read in our local paper there have been 6 thefts recently. I looked at "cat cages" but would rather get an aftermarket exhaust with long tube headers and aftermarket cats if it happens. Or, I could give the truck a 2/4 lowering and get better MPG while I'm at it.

goingwest
03-26-2013, 05:05 PM
My DPF/NOX and Catalytic converter are safely locked away in the attic in the garage.
Jim W.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this Jim, mine are locked up in the basement still nice and shinny just like new.
Jerry

f6bits
05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
A coworker just had one (and almost the other) from his Tundra stolen while attending an evening school board meeting. They unbolted one end and cut the other, causing substantial damage in the process. Unfortunately, it's a 4x and no chance of it falling off a jack onto the thief. PD got a call during his report that there was another theft. Apparently there's a good resale market around here.

sagebel
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Another reason mine is locked away. I don't know what the GM and Ram DPF/DOC looks like and weighs but the one on the new Fords is huge and heavy.

1bacamaro
05-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I save them time. I removed all my emissions crap.