PDA

View Full Version : Black Tank Flush

davidjsimons
03-21-2013, 07:29 AM
My trailer is equipped with a black tank flush system. After evacuating the tank, is there any harm in running the system with the valve closed to get more flow to flush the lines once the valve is reopened?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveC7010
03-21-2013, 07:52 AM
My trailer is equipped with a black tank flush system. After evacuating the tank, is there any harm in running the system with the valve closed to get more flow to flush the lines once the valve is reopened?

The notice on the the wall next to the flush fitting says to never operate it with the dump valve closed. I am 99.99% certain that is there because people forget the valve is closed when running the flush and then just wander away and forget what they were in the middle of doing. Sometime later, nasty stuff begins to pour out of places it should never be.

I've left the valve closed for a few minutes when dumping at the CG's dump station (we camp mostly in no-hook-up parks) where there is no chance of letting the tank overflow.

labs4life
03-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I let mine fill up for a minute or so after the initial dump. I will actually do it a couple of times until am sure all the goods have been rinsed out.
Most warning labels are in place because someone did something stupid and looked for damages from manufacturer.

gepaine
03-21-2013, 08:16 AM
I regularly use the flush port with the dump valve closed to top off the tank before dumping. (Any time it is less than 2/3 full.) My wife monitors the tank level gauge inside the TT while I stand ready to turn off the flow when she says the gauge indicates "Full". (Full is not really full on my black tank. It is more like 3/4.)

Sure, it's possible for me to forget to turn the water off, but given the procedure we use, it is extremely unlikely. (Partly because I am so paranoid about letting it get too full!)

Also, sometimes I have to fill it a second time to free up a TP blockage.

SAABDOCTOR
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
I too leave the valve closed for a few min. the only harm will be to FORGET the tank fills someone uses the potty. and a poo tsunami fallows:eek:

davidcyndi
03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
I too leave the valve closed for a few min. the only harm will be to FORGET the tank fills someone uses the potty. and a poo tsunami fallows:eek:

ohhh the mental images!!!! :eek::eek:

GaryWT
03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I only have used mine for the last trip of the year. The warning is there so you don't get overflow, if it fills, it needs to go somewhere. With my luck the second I turned on the water, someone would stop to visit or ask me to do something and next thing you know it would be too late.

If I need to add water before the flush, I do it the old fashion way and step on the pedal on the toilet and let the water flow. Been doing this for the last 13 years and has worked fine for me.

ktmracer
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
only if you forget to turn it off!!

For years now, I dump then turn on the flush till the tank is 3/4 full (5 minutes) then dump again.

davidjsimons
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the answers. That was what I thought but I still have my yellow rookie stripe on my rear bumper and figured that I had better ask for another opinion.

raytronx
03-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Throw an egg timer in near the dump area, use it during the black flush, then if someone distracts you there is a back up alarm. :)

geo
03-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Ray -
Hmmm, never heard an alarm when that last little white sand grain dropped into the lower glass. But then my hearing today suffers from the days of my wasted youth and Hendrix.

Ron

cabinfever
03-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Black tank empty App? :rolleyes:

SAABDOCTOR
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
geo I've been in a purple haze for a long time:D that wasn't wasted youth... that was a great time! say what you say?:D Maybe that's why i sometimes type in caps I"M DEEF

geo
03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
geo I've been in a purple haze for a long time:D that wasn't wasted youth... that was a great time! say what you say?:D Maybe that's why i sometimes type in caps I"M DEEF

Barney -

Well, you know . . . it's your thing, do what you want to do, I can't tell you, who to sock it to . . . :D :D

Great time last week, went to a Moody Blues concert in Grand Prairie . . . Graeme Edge will turn 71, I think it's next Monday(?). There's only 3 left - Hayward, Lodge, and Edge, but they still rock!

Ron

JRTJH
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Hmmm A Moody Blues Concert?? WOW !!!!!!!! I didn't know they were still touring. AWSOME :)

Only one comment: I "Question" "Your Wildest Dreams" during "Nights in White Satin" on "The Other Side of Life". But "I Know You're Out There, Somewhere" trying to "Ride My See-Saw" on a "Tuesday Afternoon", "The Voice" in my head keeps telling me "The Story in Your Eyes" about your "Gemini Dream". But who am I to know, "I'm Just a Singer (in a Rock and Roll Band)" :D "Isn't Life Strange" :party:

OOPS, somebody call my nursing home please :jester:

SAABDOCTOR
03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
oh john that was good! Still lookin for my car, I left it on the New York state thruway august 1969! What a long strange trip it's been!:D Oh lord won't you buy me a night on the town! still grinding them Disralie gears! ok i"ll stop. cause I don't want a pickel.. just wanta ride my mortor cy _ kile!

geo
03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
oh john that was good! Still lookin for my car, I left it on the New York state thruway august 1969! What a long strange trip it's been!:D Oh lord won't you buy me a night on the town! still grinding them Disralie gears! ok i"ll stop. cause I don't want a pickel.. just wanta ride my mortor cy _ kile!

Barney, as they say, if you remembered - then everyone knows you were't really there.

Far from the topic of Black Tank Flush, aren't we? :D

Ron

davidjsimons
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/23/ty2y6a7e.jpgI have to weigh in on this as well. I caught The Who in DC on the recent Quadrophenia Tour. Awesome!

1911Roamer
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Go to the hardware store and get a automatic shutoff that you can program for x-amount of water. Set it to 50 Gallons, or whatever and it will shut off after 50 gallons. It is also good to use when hooked up to city water. Set it at, say 500 gallons and everytime you flush your black water tank reset it. If you do this and a pipe breaks inside your camper the worse flood you can have is 500 gallons, not the entire contents of the local water tower.

SteveC7010
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Great time last week, went to a Moody Blues concert in Grand Prairie . . . Graeme Edge will turn 71, I think it's next Monday(?). There's only 3 left - Hayward, Lodge, and Edge, but they still rock!

We saw them last spring up here at Proctors in Schnectady. They sounded just as good as they ever did. Also caught them about 10 years ago down in the Finger Lakes at the C-Mac.

As long as they keep touring, we'll be there!